Alamaze - New

Full Version: 235 reorganize
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do you know how many of the cannon fodder skeletons you need to reorganize to remove all the attrition from your group or do you just have to guess?
(05-07-2022, 05:36 AM)Lt Gisgo Wrote: [ -> ]How do you know how many of the cannon fodder skeletons you need to reorganize to remove all the attrition from your group or do you just have to guess?

The strength of the unit reorganized will play a role, you kind of have to guess.  Reorganizing a skeleton will not reduce attrition very much, is my guess.  I generally don't use reorganize to reduce attrition, I'll get rid of brigades that have low moral or close to 50% attrition, unless they are elite, then I will try and heal them.  The game really isn't long enough to take care of your armies like I would like to.

uncledarkside2

(05-07-2022, 10:38 AM)Senior Tactician Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-07-2022, 05:36 AM)Lt Gisgo Wrote: [ -> ]How do you know how many of the cannon fodder skeletons you need to reorganize to remove all the attrition from your group or do you just have to guess?

The strength of the unit reorganized will play a role, you kind of have to guess.  Reorganizing a skeleton will not reduce attrition very much, is my guess.  I generally don't use reorganize to reduce attrition, I'll get rid of brigades that have low moral or close to 50% attrition, unless they are elite, then I will try and heal them.  The game really isn't long enough to take care of your armies like I would like to.

Along those lines, UM, is there a way to extend a game to 50,60 turns without rewriting too much?  Seems like every time you get fully developed, the game ends soon afterwards.
In some games that might be fun but in most I don't think I'd like to play more than 40, while it would be nice to be able to get some elite troops going, some high-level wizards and stuff, I think after 40 turns many games are pretty much decided.  Half to roster generally has dropped the game, I don't think there is a whole lot of play left after 40.  My point wasn't that 40 turns is too short, its more that the game is too fast-paced for me to be as obsessed about my army composition as I would like to be.
Going back to the original post about eliminating skeletons to reduce the group damage.  I was always under the opinion that a reorganization order only reduces damage of that unit type, just as Trolls only help Troll damage.  Have I been looking at this wrong?  I don't think so as I have issued a few of these orders in the past.
Thanks for the tips. What if 40+ turn games was a game type? Maybe by then I could build an army that could take a legendary.
(05-07-2022, 11:41 AM)Lt Gisgo Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the tips.   What if 40+ turn games was a game type?  Maybe by then I could build an army that could take a legendary.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you and I are currently competing in a game with a lot of legendary castles in it  Wink

You should check out my forum post called cracking legendary, I'll be updating it to account for the new fear cap and new siege rules.  I suspect that most legendary castles will be sieged from now on, rather than popped off quickly by small teleporting mage armies... a profound improvement if you ask me.  I once took a legendary castle with 6 brigades with a 90% fear attack.

I have already seen a legendary castle fall to a group that could not have had more than 35% fear.  It was Acereracks Red Dragon, I was the halfling, he took two of my legendary's quite easily.  The dragons get 20% vs PCs, but I think most kingdoms could achieve it if that was your goal from the beginning of the game.

My next game I was going to try and build an army with literally the worst kingdom for taking a legendary, I just haven't figured out which kingdom that is yet.  I am leaning toward Rangers because the most fear those poor guys can muster is 10% (from mammoths, they do not get the fear spell).  I'm guessing group value vs PC would have to be in the 600,000 range, or more.
(05-07-2022, 11:35 AM)Wookie Panz Wrote: [ -> ]Going back to the original post about eliminating skeletons to reduce the group damage.  I was always under the opinion that a reorganization order only reduces damage of that unit type, just as Trolls only help Troll damage.  Have I been looking at this wrong?  I don't think so as I have issued a few of these orders in the past.

I think that reorganizing any troop will reduce the attrition of all troops, but I am not 100% sure.  Plus, I'm pretty sure trolls add 10% per troll brigade to the value of the entire group (it can be thought of as moral for that purpose), so they will be key for the mage types and Tyrants to building legendary crackers.
Reorganization used to work by the strength of the brigade being absorbed (so stronger brigades reduce attrition by a greater amount) but Rick changed that a while ago and now it's just by the number of brigades. So, for a 10 brigade group, reorg of 1 brigade reduces each remaining brigade by 10%.

About skeletons, they automatically eliminate all of their attrition for themselves at the end of every turn. Some think they are junk troops but I think skeletons are cool and quite useful when combined with certain spells.

About having longer games, you can always play a Pagan game which lasts up to 50 turns but those games have no divines (including restricting wizard spells).

About enhancing the war game aspect of Alamaze, we could have a specialized custom game where on turn 0, I add a number of kingdom brigades to every position to get things going militarily-wise for everyone. Also, the game can start off with no wizards to create a more traditional war game feel. Without wizards, some encounters won't be accessible but if the players want more of a "pure" war game type of experience, I can customize some things on turn 0 (with Rick's permission). Just let us know if the players want to try out something new...
Thanks for chiming in Unclemike.  If that is the case, skeletons are a great way to reduce attrition.
Pages: 1 2