Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum

Full Version: Game Queue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, I signed up for a game on the game queue, but it seems to have vanished along with the queue. Does anyone know what the game was or who else was signed up for it?
I dunno, i cant even log in.
The Game queue was taken offline. You need to use the forum to signup for games.
(05-09-2017, 12:21 AM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno, i cant even log in.

TB, we're not having server problems so must be something on your end.  Do the usual: close the browser windows, log back in, refresh the home page and potentially the others.  If you still have trouble, send specifics to support, please.
I think he meant he couldnt login to the Game Queue site
```````````````````````
(05-09-2017, 08:16 PM)Calidor Wrote: [ -> ]I think he meant he couldnt login to the Game Queue site
```````````````````````

The automated game queue will hopefully come back sometime in the not-too-distant future.  We just have some internal issues about how to interface with the accounting system (exciting, I know), my reluctance about potentially having players wait in multiple queues if its kind of not centrally controlled where we instead start games quickly, and I feel the forum is important to keep the community actively involved apart from the games themselves and a lot of the talk is about games forming and game formats and what's next for Alamaze on the forum.

Other than maybe Sid Meyer's Civilization series (actually a year or two younger), I don't know of a computer based game that's been enjoyed as long as Alamaze, and the strength of the community expressed through the forum is important. I think a couple other games, like Hyborian War are still just on snail mail, to the extent they are still going. I think they've ever only had that one black and white ad.
Hyborian War is going fairly well still, in large part due to the efforts of Lloyd Barron, as well as the players who help administer his site, Warbarron.com such as Brent Ross. The communities online which then create organized games and have that shared sapce to set up games, brag, wheel & deal etc. is indeed vital. I did like the online game signup; I hope that any issues with it can be ironed out eventually. For now, am enjoying Alamaze, and holding my own so far Smile And hoping for an eventual Fall of Rome revival - the game was an obsession of mine for years.
(05-10-2017, 01:29 PM)Diws Wrote: [ -> ]Hyborian War is going fairly well still, in large part due to the efforts of Lloyd Barron, as well as the players who help administer his site, Warbarron.com such as Brent Ross.  The communities online which then create organized games and have that shared sapce to set up games, brag,  wheel & deal etc. is indeed vital.   I did like the online game signup;  I hope that any issues with it can be ironed out eventually.   For now, am enjoying Alamaze, and holding my  own so far  Smile   And hoping  for an eventual Fall of Rome revival - the game was an obsession of mine for years.

Players new to Alamaze need to not be too hard on themselves about making mistakes or even being confused.  It generally takes a few beatings to become competitive.  Once you get it, you're most likely hooked.

Fall of Rome still has the website, the code, probably even the old players email addresses.  It doesn't seem the fix should be difficult but its out of my realm.  Java made some changes about the time Carl (Genome) left that messed with the transfer orders and made some security requirements on both the players and the hosted server that I don't think we have.  We actually have three hosted servers for Fall of Rome: a Microsoft box, a Linux box, and a shared SQL server.  So, I'm still paying for them, but haven't found the person to fix the issue.  I too would like to see Fall of Rome back, both for its players and to show the direction in terms of GUI including interactive map and specialized icons that we'd like to take Alamaze.

I did play HW a couple times and knew most of the main personas at RSI.  Of course I licensed Alamaze to them and then that went to Phil a long time ago. But I think they are long gone from RSI and it just seems they haven't made any changes or adopted new technologies in over 20 years, i.e., pre-internet.
(05-10-2017, 02:03 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2017, 01:29 PM)Diws Wrote: [ -> ]Hyborian War is going fairly well still, in large part due to the efforts of Lloyd Barron, as well as the players who help administer his site, Warbarron.com such as Brent Ross.  The communities online which then create organized games and have that shared sapce to set up games, brag,  wheel & deal etc. is indeed vital.   I did like the online game signup;  I hope that any issues with it can be ironed out eventually.   For now, am enjoying Alamaze, and holding my  own so far  Smile   And hoping  for an eventual Fall of Rome revival - the game was an obsession of mine for years.

Players new to Alamaze need to not be too hard on themselves about making mistakes or even being confused.  It generally takes a few beatings to become competitive.  Once you get it, you're most likely hooked.

Fall of Rome still has the website, the code, probably even the old players email addresses.  It doesn't seem the fix should be difficult but its out of my realm.  Java made some changes about the time Carl (Genome) left that messed with the transfer orders and made some security requirements on both the players and the hosted server that I don't think we have.  We actually have three hosted servers for Fall of Rome: a Microsoft box, a Linux box, and a shared SQL server.  So, I'm still paying for them, but haven't found the person to fix the issue.  I too would like to see Fall of Rome back, both for its players and to show the direction in terms of GUI including interactive map and specialized icons that we'd like to take Alamaze.

I did play HW a couple times and knew most of the main personas at RSI.  Of course I licensed Alamaze to them and then that went to Phil a long time ago.  But I think they are long gone from RSI and it just seems they haven't made any changes or adopted new technologies in over 20 years, i.e., pre-internet.

Go find a few colleges/universities with a computer science program. Tell them you're interested in hiring an intern (list your preferences/needs) for your company. You should get a bunch of applications (especially from gamers). You get a computer programmer who needs/wants the real-world experience (for little to no pay) and you get your computer issues addressed. You can set up an on-going system with the program so that you get a new intern every 6-12 months (until you get all your computer issues addressed). The need for my undergraduate and graduate interns is a never-ending revolving door with local/state companies and we're not even a tech-related program. Just a thought!
(05-10-2017, 03:57 PM)IMPERIAL_TARK Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2017, 02:03 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: [ -> ]

I did play HW a couple times and knew most of the main personas at RSI.  Of course I licensed Alamaze to them and then that went to Phil a long time ago.  But I think they are long gone from RSI and it just seems they haven't made any changes or adopted new technologies in over 20 years, i.e., pre-internet.

Go find a few colleges/universities with a computer science program.  Tell them you're interested in hiring an intern (list your preferences/needs) for your company.  You should get a bunch of applications (especially from gamers). You get a computer programmer who needs/wants the real-world experience (for little to no pay) and you get your computer issues addressed.  You can set up an on-going system with the program so that you get a new intern every 6-12 months (until you get all your computer issues addressed).  The need for my undergraduate and graduate interns is a never-ending revolving door with local/state companies and we're not even a tech-related program.  Just a thought!
The actual adjustments would be a one day thing.  Probably a week first to figure out the architecture of the code.  I had some kids (grad students) addressing small portions of the Fall of Rome code and their work wasn't very good and a lot had to be redone.   A player of either FoR or Alamaze who is a coder and wants to be a hero could do it.  Again, its in java.
Pages: 1 2