Alamaze - New

Full Version: 2016 Alamaze Championship!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
How you determine who will play, I am completely comfortable with that format.

What kingdom they end up playing seems to be where we disagree.

As we have agreed to Draft, should we vote on how the draft is performed?

If so I am in favor of average status points.
I haven't given my input since I'm not sure if I am still eligible to participate after the change of selection
I would just like to see any criteria used here to determine the "best player" also used when determining who drafts first or last in other games. Seems the biggest voices against total status points here have no issues with it when we use them to decide who picks last in other games.

And we are comparing wizard kingdoms to military kingdoms with the proposed system. Will a CI ever beat out a NE to determine the "best player" of region 2? If your looking to actually find the best wouldn't it make more since to compare the average status points for the position vs your gold medal score to see weather the gold medal CI is actually better than the NE with a gold as an example, the higher ratio would actually be the better player at that position. Just saying in 2nd cycle it was more cut and dry but 3rd cycle is a different animal and should maybe come up with something different.

I will not be playing this game but still think my input is valid because when a system or new rules are decided for one game they tend to start showing up in others
I agree with previous comments that the first task is determining who is in (and who chooses not to be in), then whether to award a sequence of selection or random order. 

In normal games, I do favor balancing out player strength somewhat by choosing in inverse order, but see the Championship differently.  So just to add a voice, I suggest for this the selection be randomly determined by a player with access to a random selection method and not in the game.  Not insisting, just trying to move things along.

So continuing comments are welcome, but I'd like to see a list of participants to know if we should reach out to more players, and a volunteer to do the random selection order (if that's what we decide on).  In that case I would suggest picking 11th and 12th warrants the Chivalry bonus.
I have no idea if I have qualified for this game or not and not sure if I want to plow through all this, but I'll play if I'm eligible. I don't care about format or draft issues.
Wow - after reading all of this, I see an incredible amount of pettiness and bitchiness. I think I want to stay far away from this one.

Edit: After sleeping on it, I will play if there's a slot for me, but I really don't care about the various issues and formats. I would think a random draft is the way to go, but I'm sort of whatever about the whole thing.

gkmetty

Here is the current status,

LD, JF, and Damelon have decided not to participate.

This is the status for each region

1. Vball
2. The Wise One
3. Drogo, Tomag Ironfist, Son of Conan
4. Atuan
5. Dupont
6. Tomag Ironfist, Jhereg, Cloud
7. Rytek, Son of Conan, Devil Dog
8. Netstrider, Cloud, Hawk
9. Canticar
10. Imperial Tark
Dist 1. Rogal, Son of Conan
Dist 2. Frost Lord, Drogo, Diamond Cutter

Drogo, Tomag Ironfist, Rytek, Netstrider, Rogal, and Frost Lord are on the clock.

gkmetty

Not to muddy the waters further but here is an option for Rick to consider. We could draft kingdoms similar to the way the NBA drafts. For each region won outright, not won because another player passed, the players would earn an additional number in the draft. In this case Atuan won 3 regions, Canticar won 2 and Imperial Tark won 2. The draft would have 16 numbers in it, rather then 12, with Atuan having 3 of those numbers, Imperial Tark would have 2, Canticar would have 2, and all other participants would have 1 number.

The random selector works normally but the players with additional numbers have an enhanced chance of being picked.

This method provides some benefit to those players who have excelled with multiple kingdoms but still gives all participants the opportunity to pick early in the draft.

I am fine with a random draft if you decide that it is the best method for picking kingdoms. I am just offering this option as a compromise.

Acererak

(12-11-2016, 05:18 PM)gkmetty Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the current status,

LD, JF, and Damelon have decided not to participate.

This is the status for each region

1. Vball
2. The Wise One
3. Drogo, Tomag Ironfist, Son of Conan
4. Atuan
5. Dupont
6. Tomag Ironfist, Jhereg, Cloud
7. Rytek, Son of Conan, Devil Dog
8. Netstrider, Cloud, Hawk
9. Canticar
10. Imperial Tark
Dist 1. Rogal, Son of Conan
Dist 2. Frost Lord, Drogo, Diamond Cutter

Drogo, Tomag Ironfist, Rytek, Netstrider, Rogal, and Frost Lord are on the clock.

Ah, so I'm out b/c 9 and 10 were selected even though I have the 7th highest avg status pts per game? I'd like to play but if this is the format I guess it's not to be.
(12-11-2016, 09:44 PM)Acererak Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so I'm out b/c 9 and 10 were selected even though I have the 7th highest avg status pts per game? I'd like to play but if this is the format I guess it's not to be.

After thinking about it, I don't want to take a spot away from a more deserving player than myself. The following players all have a higher avg in single games than me:

Hawk
  Acererak
  Son of Conan
  Rogal
  Wookie Panz

Since region 2 is now open (was Atuan, Wise One, Imperial Tark), if I drop, it'll open up a position for one of the above or another to take over as a substitute.

So, Merry Xmas to my replacement Smile

Acererak

(12-11-2016, 10:13 PM)unclemike Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2016, 09:44 PM)Acererak Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so I'm out b/c 9 and 10 were selected even though I have the 7th highest avg status pts per game? I'd like to play but if this is the format I guess it's not to be.

After thinking about it, I don't want to take a spot away from a more deserving player than myself. The following players all have a higher avg in single games than me:

Hawk
  Acererak
  Son of Conan
  Rogal
  Wookie Panz

Since region 2 is now open (was Atuan, Wise One, Imperial Tark), if I drop, it'll open up a position for one of the above or another to take over as a substitute.

So, Merry Xmas to my replacement Smile

Not necessary on my account Mike. I was just wondering- hard to follow what is happening with selection. I defer and am not arguing for inclusion - just got confused if it was avg. status points or top points per region.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17