Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn Results Parser
Ok. Would be best if I could do it on a 10-key.
-The Deliverer
Sure.... if you're willing to only use the 0 and 1 keys and talk directly to the hardware....
bananas (on the forums)
Arch-Mage of Entropy (in games)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
157 - TR : Chancellor 
161 - AN : Chancellor & Iron Willed
This seems to be the problem, in general, with people, life, politics, sports.
Here is a very rough cut of the updated instructions. (it looked better in word)

Getting Ruby and pdf_reader (for windows users)

1) Go download the ruby installer.
a) http://dl.bintray.com/oneclick/rubyinsta...exe?direct
2) Run the installer
a) let it go into c:\ruby193
b) Check all 3 boxes
Install Tcl/Tk support
Add Ruby executables to your PATH
Associate .rb and .rbw files with this ruby installation

3) Download the pfd_reader gem
a) https://rubygems.org/downloads/pdf-reader-1.3.3.gem

4) Get the turn parser ( TurnParser-0.2.0.zip)
1) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Q2JyM...sp=sharing
2) Make a subdirectory and expand it there
3) Copy the gem file (downloaded above) into that directory

5) From a ruby-aware command prompt, install the pdf_reader gem
1. Click on the Start button
2. Click on AllPrograms
3. Scroll down to the Ruby1.9.3-p545 folder
4. In the folder, click 'Start Command Prompt With Ruby”
5. Change to the directory you unzipped the turn parser and copied the gem
6. Type 'gem install pdf-reader-1.3.3.gem'

Once you have that setup, go to the directory where you copied parser1.rb and type
ruby parser1.rb
If everything is good, you should get a usage statement. Basically just add the name of the PDF file you want to parse to that command and you are set. To save the data to a file, just redirect the output to a file.

ruby parser1.rb WI123R0.PDF > game123.dat
If you want to add data from other PDF files to that one, just use >> to append the data.
ruby parser1.rb WI123R1.PDF >> game123.dat

Once you are done parsing turn results, you can then start the GUI. That is easier. Just double click on the 'amap.rbw' file. After the GUI starts, select File->Open, navigate to the game123.dat file you created and open it.
bananas (on the forums)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
Well, I was terribly jealous of how much realestate the new map was stealing from my precious text window, so I separated them. You now get two windows when you start the GUI (although the text window sometimes likes to hid behind the map window). They can be individually moved and resized.

Also, you can now call the parser directly from the GUI. Just select File->Parse... No need to spin up DOS shells anymore (aside from once during the initial installation of the tool). When you parse a new PDF turn result via the menu, the results are automatically loaded. You do, however, need to remember to File->Save.

One more thing. Hitting the 'Show All Groups' button will now cause the last known location of all groups to appear on the map too. You have to hit the button to make them appear instead of having them show up by default because their text will overlap anything else in that area, making for gooble-ti-gook. (Clicking on the area still gives you in intelligible report in the text window).

TurnParser-0.2.1
bananas (on the forums)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
Congrats to Bananas on the work he has already done. It has been a blessing to have the contributions of so many voluntary souls to help Alamaze along, including Uncle Mike with the order entry, Lord Diamond with Valhalla, and of course, Cipher, without which we would have no Alamaze, or solutions to problems that emerge from time to time.

We look forward to the many possibilities to continue to improve Alamaze processing from GM and player viewpoints, and of course as you know, to the design aspects I am hoping to get to, wrapping 2nd Cycle and then getting to 3rd Cycle and then the mirage that seems to be Kingdoms of Arcania. Thanks all who have contributed, all else for the participation, and hopefully, anticipation as to what is next.
Merry Christmas!

If any of you have been brave enough to try this tool, you will like the 0.2.3 version. Up until now, the population center and group markers that the tool automatically displayed were just text. Well, Rick suggested that I  replace them with the icons you are familiar with from the PowerPoint files. It took me longer than it should have, but I believe I have something usable.  Below are two three screenshots of the map part of the GUI from the same turn. The first is the zoomed-out level and the second is zoomed-in and scrolled over to the interesting part. The third shows the output of the text window after clicking on the pc at HT.  I have not figured out how to make the pc and group icons play nice in an area... the group just overlaps the pc. (I would have embedded the screenshots directly in this post, but I apparently cannot get GoogleDrive to play nice and give me a link that this forum can display. So you have have to click the link.  Angry )

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

There is still tons more to do, both in the parser and in the GUI. But it is getting more usable.  Smile
Here is the latest version: TurnParser-0.2.3

Thanks
bananas (on the forums)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
Thanks Bananas,

I still think there is a general lack of understanding on what this is about.  Although there are hurdles to overcome, one of the main ideas is that your map will be automatically updated each turn with current info.  Nice, eh?  Then you might also get your last intel on groups, PC's, etc.  Then we integrate that with what Uncle Mike is doing.  

Rick
Yeah, and I don't know how to overcome that prior to it becoming part of a full-blown front end (which is a gazillion years down the road).
bananas (on the forums)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
Got another demo video. I intended it to help you understand what it is for. After I watched it, I decided it failed miserably Smile

How about this... It will never be a replacement for the PDF turn results. However, in its current state, it can serve as a replacement for the PowerPoint file you currently update by hand with icons for towns, villages, and armies.

You know... maybe I accidentally stumbled upon a good explanation.

Right now, when you receive your emailed turn results, you save the PDF file to a folder you have dedicated to that game's turns. Then you open and read the PDF. After your tears have dried and the maniacal laughter subsided, you decide to update your map. Your precious map of this game's world, where the population centers, armies, and unusual sightings are. You look at your turn and see that you've lost a town, so you find that town on the map and change the color of its icon to either neutral or the color of the player who took it from you. A nearby village that you took, you change to your color. You notice that one of your groups has stopped at a new population center. You look at the location of the pc and then carefully find the correct location on the map and then put the proper icon there. You update the region number and its color. Oh yeah, you move the icon for that group to that location as well. 

What a pain. Keeping that map up-to-date takes a lot of work. Wouldn't it be nice if it magically updated itself? That is one of the things this tool will do. Our use case starts out the same. You save the PDF, laugh & cry, and then update your map. But instead of opening a PowerPoint file and manually moving icons around, you pull down a menu, select the PDF turn results you just saved, and then watch your map magically update.

But is that all it is? An auto-updating replacement for the PowerPoint file? No. It can do more. 

Say you look at the map and see an enemy army at one of your towns. Click on it and you get a ton of information. Sure, you can dig it all out of your turn results, but here it is all summed up, instantly. You see the PC stats (what is its defense? How much production are you looking to loose if it falls?). You also can see which of your emissaries are there (better not count on them for anything critical next turn; they may wind up being captured, wasting your orders). Plus, if there are any other groups there, you can see them all. 

What about artifacts? You had a nice one, but it got stolen. You've been too busy to do anything about it for a couple of turns but are now ready to divine its location so you can go steal it back. But to do that, you need the short name. So you are then forced to go paging through all your old turns until you find it. Not so with this tool. It remembers history, so you can just click a single button to get the last known information on all artifacts. Tada, short name with no effort!

Is that it? No, there are probably many more tasks that could be trivialized that I've never even considered. 

Let me summarize:
  • Is this a replacement for the PDF results? NO. Not now and probably never.
  • Is this a replacement for the Order Entry and Verification page? NO. But in the far, far future, it might help feed it.
  • Is this a replacement for the PowerPoint map? Yes, eventually it can be. There are still things that the parser does not pull out of the turn results yet.
  • Is it anything else? Yes, definitely. But what that is and what it means to you has yet to be determined. To me, it is a really cool toy that I can shape to show me things I had not seen before.
bananas (on the forums)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated -