Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn Results Parser
Speaking as the guy who usually does the team mapping... I like where this is going. Does it also update pop center statuses based on the info in the emissary fields? In my case, if I'm going to miss a status change, it is usually there.
Awesome, I really hope to turn this into something the community can use!

Change detection was definitely a feature I plan to add.
At the moment, I am not parsing anything out of the emissary statuses, but if you were to give me a few example lines (or better yet, whole turns to parse), I'll definitely try to add it.

You did make me think of a case I'm probably not handling, though. I don't know how the script behaves if a population center is uncontrolled.

On that note, if you are able to install Ruby and get the parser to run for you, please let me know about any crashes or other bad behavior.
Bug 
I've got some good news and some bad news.

Good News
  • Mauler dumped a boat load of turns on me to test with.
  • I found and fixed a hefty number of bugs in both the parser and the GUI.

Bad News
  • I still suck at parsing out Army Group information. That section is pretty evil. Smile
  • I was ignoring the region a population center was in.
  • The main functionality of the GUI is probably all wrong.
  • I need to find out what information really matters to y'all.

So what I'm going to do is come up with a new list of features for the GUI and ask you to comment on them (eg. "Yes, I want it now", "Meh", "That is useless", etc). And I'll also take suggestions like, "dude, it would be really cool if....".
Core Concept:
The parser and GUI are not an attempt to replace reading the PDF files that Alamaze generates. That would be silly. The purpose of these tools is to harvest key pieces of information from the turn results and present them in ways that bring to light things you would not get from reading a single turn's results. Plus it helps collect information in one place so that you do not have to go flip back through several old turns in order to find something specific.

Information Collected:
- Nearly all columns from the population center tables in the "Production collected this month" and "Our forecast for next month:" sections as well as the Recon section.
- Emissary name, location, rank, and kingdom from the "Activities of the Royal Court" and Recon sections.
- Army group information is collected from both recon and the "Military Group Status" sections. However, only a subset is collected. Naturally, name, location, and kingdom are collected. I also try to grab all of the leaders and wizards. I attempt to pull out the size and some of the composition information, but that is where the parser is very lacking.

There is a ton of other information in the turn results that the parser completely ignores (partially due to difficulty in parsing, but mostly because I didn't initially see its meta value). If I were to parse out other sections, what meta information would you expect to extract?
- Artifacts ("duh, YES!" right?)
- Unusual Encounter locations (clear or not?)
- Sea Power
- Regional Reactions
- High Council
- That ally/enemy chart

MAP
What is important on the map? What I have is a grid where each box's color is based on the terrain and population centers are represented by a single letter (V,T,C) in the box. That seemed perfect until I started trying to highlight areas to represent different things. I just wasn't happy with the results; things were never as easy to see as I wanted. So, what is important on the map?
- show the terrain so you can relate it more easily to the real game map
- show regions (ie, population centers in one region are colored different from another. That probably requires a neutral background in order to maximize contrast).
- be able to manually add population centers (that someone told you about)
- be able to manually mark areas as explored so you know there is no PC there.
- be able to manually make some other notations?
- Should armies be show? Should the size of the icon match group size?

QUERIES
This is the important part. This is where we take the information that was parsed out of the turn results and mine it for extra/meta information.

- What PC do I (or an ally) control?
- What PC did I (or an ally) gain this turn?
- What PC did I (or an ally) loose this turn?
- Which of my (or ally's) PC are threatened?
- Which enemy/neutral PC am I threatening?
- Which PC are in range of a given emissary?
- What is the latest information I have on an enemy's emissaries (name, rank, location, turn)
- What power wizards does an enemy have?

In the text box below the map, should rows be colored by how old the information is?

OK, I can sit here and come up with strange questions all day long but it gets me nowhere. Please let me know which of the above are most important to you or if there is something even more pressing.

I'm not making an promises, but at least I'll have a clearer idea of what I need to code.

Thanks for your time and support!
I've been avoiding signing up for a game until the tool was done because I will have less time to code. However, I'm getting bored. So I guess it is time to sign up.
Here is the link to the GUI. It is in ruby/tk.
amap.rbw

At the moment, there is no help and it there is a ton of functionality still needed. But if you feel like playing around with it, feel free.
You only need to single click buttons and the map; however, you need to double-click the stuff in the list boxes.
Bananas,

I saw you made a post to explain what this is about, but maybe go slower for the rest of us. What is it that this does that the turn results don't do? I'm guessing its a way to organize information differently than the turn, and perhaps have a history on any particular asset, but I'm really not sure.
Sorry. Yes, that is about all it does. I have a very long history of not being happy with the output of any given tool and am frequently compelled to man-handle that output into something that suits my liking. I made reference to 'Joe Tools' earlier. That is a name several of my coworkers gave to the junk I write. They are designed to solve the problems *I* see, the way *I* want them solved. If you are not *me* and not using them to solve the problem they were intended to solve, you will not be happy with the results. It is a bit harsh, but that is the theme.

The parser is the key. It pulls out the "important" information and puts it in a format that is more easily read by other tools (ie, not humans). If someone out there is an Excel guru, he/she could probably take those results and do all kinds of uber things with them (I guess) and never need the GUI. The GUI is the second step (since I'm not an excel guru). That is where I start reformatting the output in ways that make me happy. So no, there is nothing magical about the parser or GUI. They are no substitute for the PDF turn results that you already get.

So what do they do? Nothing more than provide a way to organize the information differently. What I've found, though, is that once you start rearranging the information, unexpected patterns start to emerge. Maybe this tool will revolutionize Alamaze and make it more popular than World of Warcraft... NOT! What is more likely is that a few analytical people with an itch to dig deeper into the results but who were lacking a means, will latch onto the tool and morph it help scratch those itches.

What's got me so befuddled is that, unlike with my other tools, I'm actually *trying* to write it to solve *your* problems the way *you* want them solved. Except that I'm just guessing what you want or need. And that is also what makes it so hard to explain what it does. It doesn't do anything at all if you are already perfectly happy with things as they are. That is why I tried creating the video, hoping that if you saw how I was using it, it would make more sense.

So I'm just going to slow down and stop trying to force it. I'll play a game and let the tool grow naturally. In the meantime, though, if any of you do manage to get it running and have a specific question or request, I'll happy to accommodate you.
(11-03-2014, 01:25 AM)bananas Wrote: Sorry. Yes, that is about all it does. I have a very long history of not being happy with the output of any given tool and am frequently compelled to man-handle that output into something that suits my liking. I made reference to 'Joe Tools' earlier. That is a name several of my coworkers gave to the junk I write. They are designed to solve the problems *I* see, the way *I* want them solved. If you are not *me* and not using them to solve the problem they were intended to solve, you will not be happy with the results. It is a bit harsh, but that is the theme.

The parser is the key. It pulls out the "important" information and puts it in a format that is more easily read by other tools (ie, not humans). If someone out there is an Excel guru, he/she could probably take those results and do all kinds of uber things with them (I guess) and never need the GUI. The GUI is the second step (since I'm not an excel guru). That is where I start reformatting the output in ways that make me happy. So no, there is nothing magical about the parser or GUI. They are no substitute for the PDF turn results that you already get.

So what do they do? Nothing more than provide a way to organize the information differently. What I've found, though, is that once you start rearranging the information, unexpected patterns start to emerge. Maybe this tool will revolutionize Alamaze and make it more popular than World of Warcraft... NOT! What is more likely is that a few analytical people with an itch to dig deeper into the results but who were lacking a means, will latch onto the tool and morph it help scratch those itches.

What's got me so befuddled is that, unlike with my other tools, I'm actually *trying* to write it to solve *your* problems the way *you* want them solved. Except that I'm just guessing what you want or need. And that is also what makes it so hard to explain what it does. It doesn't do anything at all if you are already perfectly happy with things as they are. That is why I tried creating the video, hoping that if you saw how I was using it, it would make more sense.

So I'm just going to slow down and stop trying to force it. I'll play a game and let the tool grow naturally. In the meantime, though, if any of you do manage to get it running and have a specific question or request, I'll happy to accommodate you.

About the only thing that I spend time on now is updating game maps. If your tool could track the locations of assets on the game board that would have significant value to me. Tracking squares cleared for artifacts and pop centers would also be important.
I don't love searching through old turn results to remember the short name of an artifact. I can never remember which turn houses the information.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde