Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alamaze rules wiki?
As a newish player, I am often looking for rules-ish stuff posted here on the forum. Since the game is being constantly updated and refined, I suggest you all set up a rules wiki. We players can even help you populate it. Or you can designate certain people with the right access to populate it.

Then any given page can be crosslinked as needed, revised whenever, and perhaps with a comment thread at the bottom for questions and answers.

Brilliant!
Podium player returning to the conflict!

You guys feel free. Sounds like a very good idea. But I have a list of 30 things to do before getting to 3rd Cycle not considering daily processing.

Want us to find an independent free wiki host? Or do you think you'd like to host it here somewhere? Or maybe Maximus could host it as part of his playbymail.net empire?

Sure, I can set up a wiki. I suspect that Rick would probably prefer that it be located on his site, rather than mine.

Typically, wikis have discussion pages, although not discussion threads along the bottom.

Do you have a preference as to which wiki software that you want to use?

I know nothing about creating or maintaining, or if it needs its own URL, etc.
Thanks for the offers to help and likely I'd just go with the recommendations of the experienced.

Maximus -- want to set it up as a sub-section of your PBM wiki? We could invite any PBM games to host their rules there. Throw some banner ads up and you'll get some revenue to help pay your hosting costs!

(07-20-2014, 04:01 PM)ixnay Wrote: Maximus -- want to set it up as a sub-section of your PBM wiki? We could invite any PBM games to host their rules there. Throw some banner ads up and you'll get some revenue to help pay your hosting costs!

I'm disinclined to utilize banner ads to generate revenue. The generation of revenue crates tax issues, and if I wanted to generate revenue, I would probably want to make a broader effort than just a few banner ads to cover web hosting costs.

That aside, I tend to favor redundancy, as a means to preserve PBM-related information. If the PBM Wiki site were to go down, an Alamaze Rules wiki segment on it would go down, also. Plus, the PBM Wiki only gets updated very infrequently. Who is going to add and update rules wiki sections for a multitude of different PBM games?

Rick isn't techno-oriented, where websites and wikis and such are concerned.

Previously, I created a Hyborian War Wiki, but I have never completed it. If I haven't gotten around to finishing it, I find myself questioning whether I want to add to my workload - not to mention increase the drain on my time.

The Hyborian War Wiki isn't part of the PBM Wiki. It's a separate installation of wiki software. It could be copied and pasted over to the PBM Wiki, though, in an hour or two, if I wanted to do it.

I was thinking of just posting all the Alamaze rules wiki pages under the Alamaze page on the pbm.net wiki (if there is one). It would add several dozen pages under there, but would not really disrupt that wiki itself. It would just add to it.

If you (Maximus) are not comfortable with this approach, and if you (Ry Vor) are not going to host a wiki on your servers, then I will look at setting it up on one of the free wiki services -- independent from all.

Seems it should be on an Enlightened Age Entertainment server, (FoR, Alamaze, forum). Alamaze players are almost exclusively on the forum, rather than the website. If the web based order entry is from www.alamaze.co, then that will certainly change.