Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are good Standing Orders?
I've learned that 500 (training an agent) and 310 (emissary to maintain status quo) are good ones. What else?

If you can keep a wizard in one place then 799 could be good for several turns if you want to advance him fast.

I suppose it could be useful to could raise an emissary from Governor to prince with a standing order as well.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde
(06-10-2014, 01:04 PM)Drogo Wrote: I've learned that 500 (training and agent) and 310 (emissary to maintain status quo) are good ones. What else?

If you can keep a wizard in one place then 799 could be good for several turns if you want to advance him fast.

I like certain 970s as standing orders (a city you are trying to defend, an enemy's capital, etc.). A standing order to raise a HC issue can also be interesting if you have a voting block (i.e raise someone's influence, denigrate someone, etc.).

I am also a fan of 560s in certain circumstances... (i.e. attacking towns in an enemy region if you are the RA, for example).

Standing orders to self-invis (if you aren't planning to train your adept or P1 for example) can also be useful.

My favourite standing order has to be the 480. So basic, but really elegant as a 470 or 475 can be issued to supersede it as required without cancelling it.

Cheers,
W
Counter Espionage and Guard can be good.

You actually couldn't do a 799 as a standing order because the power level changes every turn.
799 - You could use the initials instead. You'd still have to be aware of the creeping cost.

480 - recently did this and loved it. good point, Wynand, about still having the luxury to enamor or denigrate if need be.

970 - I was thinking it would be neat to give multiple 970 standing orders. It would randomize which one was done. You could give 3 970s to 3 different agent 1's and get a randomized look at your home region every turn. I haven't tried it but it seems like it would work.
I would agree 480 is one I issue a lot because I am flexible to still use the king for other actions. And good job noticing you can use the wizard name to issue a 799 standing order. I have done that using 801s. You will learn that great order as you explore the game. Trolls almost always have a couple 236 standing orders. 600s can also really pay off over time especially for Water PCs.
What's order #801?
I always have 480 as a standing order starting around turns 3 or 4.

500, of course.

970, for sure.

Regenerate if you are the Troll.

When fighting certain kingdoms, like the UN, DE, or AN, I have 'Execute Prisoner' as a standing order.

'Ward' is a good one.

'Sea Patrol' once I am done using my fleets to move around.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

I find with the HC, it's great to put in a SO to raise your influence with a minimal bid - that way if nobody puts in a bid, yours goes through for minimal cost. Even if it doesn't pass, you have to make your enemies burn votes to vote against it.
When I am in a long war, I find 430 is a good one - kill those captives!
What level emissary is best to protect your city by maintaining Status Quo (310)? Will a Baron generally be sufficient? I haven't heard any stats on this.
(06-10-2014, 02:41 PM)Drogo Wrote: What level emissary is best to protect your city by maintaining Status Quo (310)? Will a Baron generally be sufficient? I haven't heard any stats on this.

It is my opinion that this is not a real safe strategy unless you plan to put a WARD on that emmy.

Your opponent can sleep the baron the turn they move in a group to 171 the PC.

You might not prevent a 171 even with the Baron if your opponent has a powerful enough wizard or a strong group.