Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming abbreviations
Having trouble using the initials for my wizards. And because one is a wraith, having trouble getting a 799 order to work for the other wizard. What would be the abbreviation for a wizard named L'Enfant?
Is it L' or LE? Also, for the wraith, do you ignore the asterisk (name is * Pinhead, for instance) and just use the PI? Thanks, I have already wasted a couple of orders and turns on this.
Why not just use the level number?
There are occasions when you need to use the abbreviation, especially if you're engaged in battle or involved in group transfers or teleports or things like that. The alternative is that the wrong wizard sometimes casts the wrong spell, and so the wizard you THOUGHT would be free to cast a spell later in the turn cycle has already been used.
Exactly. My 799 failed because it tells me wraith cannot research so I have to specify which Level 5. Alamaze support did respond in an email and the correct answer is L' as both characters are recognized by the program. As for the wraith, ignore the * and just go with the name. Thanks folks.
(03-04-2014, 05:42 PM)Hamlet Wrote: Exactly. My 799 failed because it tells me wraith cannot research so I have to specify which Level 5. Alamaze support did respond in an email and the correct answer is L' as both characters are recognized by the program. As for the wraith, ignore the * and just go with the name. Thanks folks.

Good to know. This info should probably be attached under the Wraith spell.

IMO, it might be fair to say that wraiths are vulnerable to spell 96 also. That way what happened to Paway will not occur to a future new player.
We are all trying very very hard, to get new players to stay with the game. Fixing little issues like this, in the rules and descriptions, can go a long way in not disappointing new players due to their lack of experience.

Losing a Wraith, because the descriptors are vague is extremely disheartening, when a simple first lvl spell would have stopped it.
I did learn one thing from my "mentor".
(03-04-2014, 08:47 PM)Wynterbreeze Wrote: We are all trying very very hard, to get new players to stay with the game. Fixing little issues like this, in the rules and descriptions, can go a long way in not disappointing new players due to their lack of experience.

Losing a Wraith, because the descriptors are vague is extremely disheartening, when a simple first lvl spell would have stopped it.

Why don't you identify all the "vague descriptors" you want to see changed and we'll see if we can get the people producing Alamaze get busy and fix them? I'm not going to put in "watch for Spell #96 and other spells" for this example, or start pouring formulas into the rules. We don't do that anywhere and spell #'s can change and an artifact could have the same result, or a new spell. I'm not wanting to make the rules, already more than 70 pages not including likely 25 pages more of spell descriptions more convoluted in order to spell out everything in every possibility. Players have always been invited to ask questions on the forum for game play advice. Here is the existing wording for the Wraith spell:

NAME: WRAITH FORM SPELL #: 870
THIS IS A VERY BLACK MAGIC. THE SPELL CASTER, BY USING THIS SPELL, GIVES UP A HUMAN EXISTENCE IN EXCHANGE FOR IMMORTALITY. THE RESULTING WRAITH-MAGE IS NEARLY INVULNERABLE IN GAME TERMS, IE., HE CANNOT BE ASSASSINATED OR SLAIN BY NORMAL MEANS IN COMBAT. THERE IS A COST: HE MAY NEVER RESEARCH HIS POWER LEVEL FURTHER AND HIS POWER LEVEL WILL BE REDUCED TO A POWER 5. THE SPELL MAY ONLY BE USED BY A WIZARD WHOSE NATURAL LEVEL (NOT ENHANCED BY ARTIFACTS) WILL ALLOW. ONCE CAST THE WRAITH FORM CAN NEVER BE REVERSED. NO COLUMNS BEYOND COLUMN "B" NEED BE COMPLETED. IT IS CONCEIVABLE SOME MAGIC MAY DESTROY A WRAITH.

What's so vague about that? How much longer should a spell description be?
(03-05-2014, 07:38 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 08:47 PM)Wynterbreeze Wrote: We are all trying very very hard, to get new players to stay with the game. Fixing little issues like this, in the rules and descriptions, can go a long way in not disappointing new players due to their lack of experience.

Why don't you identify all the "vague descriptors" you want to see changed and we'll see if we can get the people producing Alamaze get busy and fix them? I'm not going to put in "watch for Spell #96 and other spells" for this example, or start pouring formulas into the rules. We don't do that anywhere and spell #'s can change and an artifact could have the same result, or a new spell. I'm not wanting to make the rules, already more than 70 pages not including likely 25 pages more of spell descriptions more convoluted in order to spell out everything in every possibility. Players have always been invited to ask questions on the forum for game play advice. Here is the existing wording for the Wraith spell:

THIS IS A VERY BLACK MAGIC. THE SPELL CASTER, BY USING THIS SPELL, GIVES UP A HUMAN EXISTENCE IN EXCHANGE FOR IMMORTALITY. THE RESULTING WRAITH-MAGE IS NEARLY INVULNERABLE IN GAME TERMS, IE., HE CANNOT BE ASSASSINATED OR SLAIN BY NORMAL MEANS IN COMBAT. THERE IS A COST: HE MAY NEVER RESEARCH HIS POWER LEVEL FURTHER AND HIS POWER LEVEL WILL BE REDUCED TO A POWER 5. THE SPELL MAY ONLY BE USED BY A WIZARD WHOSE NATURAL LEVEL (NOT ENHANCED BY ARTIFACTS) WILL ALLOW. ONCE CAST THE WRAITH FORM CAN NEVER BE REVERSED. NO COLUMNS BEYOND COLUMN "B" NEED BE COMPLETED. IT IS CONCEIVABLE SOME MAGIC MAY DESTROY A WRAITH.

What's so vague about that? How much longer should a spell description be?

You are correct that last line sums it up. My bad.

They do not have to be longer to be "less vague". What made it vague or confusing to me for was this sentence "GIVES UP A HUMAN EXISTENCE IN EXCHANGE FOR IMMORTALITY" Immortality to me, means lives forever.

So you asked how I would rewrite the spell, so I gave it a shot. Smile

THIS IS A VERY BLACK MAGIC. THE SPELL CASTER, BY USING THIS SPELL, GIVES UP A HUMAN EXISTENCE IN EXCHANGE FOR AN INCORPOREAL FORM. THE RESULTING WRAITH-MAGE CAN ONLY BE KILL BY A KILL LEADER/WIZARD SPELL. THERE IS A COST: HE MAY NEVER RESEARCH HIS POWER LEVEL FURTHER AND HIS POWER LEVEL WILL BE REDUCED TO A POWER 5. THE SPELL MAY ONLY BE USED BY A WIZARD WHOSE NATURAL LEVEL (NOT ENHANCED BY ARTIFACTS) WILL ALLOW. ONCE CAST THE WRAITH FORM CAN NEVER BE REVERSED. NO COLUMNS BEYOND COLUMN "B" NEED BE COMPLETED.
I did learn one thing from my "mentor".
(03-05-2014, 10:28 PM)Wynterbreeze Wrote: NAME: WRAITH FORM SPELL #: 870

They do not have to be longer to be "less vague". What made it vague or confusing to me for was this sentence "GIVES UP A HUMAN EXISTENCE IN EXCHANGE FOR IMMORTALITY" Immortality to me, means lives forever.

So you asked how I would rewrite the spell, so I gave it a shot. Smile

THIS IS A VERY BLACK MAGIC. THE SPELL CASTER, BY USING THIS SPELL, GIVES UP A HUMAN EXISTENCE IN EXCHANGE FOR AN INCORPOREAL FORM. THE RESULTING WRAITH-MAGE CAN ONLY BE KILL BY A KILL LEADER/WIZARD SPELL. THERE IS A COST: HE MAY NEVER RESEARCH HIS POWER LEVEL FURTHER AND HIS POWER LEVEL WILL BE REDUCED TO A POWER 5. THE SPELL MAY ONLY BE USED BY A WIZARD WHOSE NATURAL LEVEL (NOT ENHANCED BY ARTIFACTS) WILL ALLOW. ONCE CAST THE WRAITH FORM CAN NEVER BE REVERSED. NO COLUMNS BEYOND COLUMN "B" NEED BE COMPLETED.

It's not only by a Kill Leader / Wizard spell. It could be by an artifact like Demon Bane, it could be by a different spell, it could be by a spell yet to be identified, or a new artifact, or a Greater Demon, or a kingdom with a special ability.