Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Design Changes
(06-13-2013, 10:50 PM)Kalrex Wrote: "I disagree. I think that this is part of the consequence of going in peacefully instead of attacking. I imagine that it would be hard to convince the townsfolk how nice you are if part of the negotiations included demands that no other foreigners be allowed to remain in town."

But then there's the "Army" in the town or Village lets say. Lets say the Village has an AG there with 30K+ troops and the Village populace is 8K or 12K or more/less... so they fly the flag of the AG and then here comes Governor from another kingdom, while 30K man army group is sitting there, and he gets up there and gives a speech and then the populace casts out the new leadership and the Governor walks into the local mansion... all the while a 30K man army sits there and watches? That makes sense to you Diamond?

When presented this way, I tend to lean towards Kalrex. However, I still disagree with the bouncing of emissaries. Perhaps the answer is an intrinsic status quo based on the group doing the 170/171?
-The Deliverer
(06-13-2013, 10:50 PM)Kalrex Wrote: "I disagree. I think that this is part of the consequence of going in peacefully instead of attacking. I imagine that it would be hard to convince the townsfolk how nice you are if part of the negotiations included demands that no other foreigners be allowed to remain in town."

But then there's the "Army" in the town or Village lets say. Lets say the Village has an AG there with 30K+ troops and the Village populace is 8K or 12K or more/less... so they fly the flag of the AG and then here comes Governor from another kingdom, while 30K man army group is sitting there, and he gets up there and gives a speech and then the populace casts out the new leadership and the Governor walks into the local mansion... all the while a 30K man army sits there and watches? That makes sense to you Diamond?

The army didn't march up and 'Threaten' to attack the pc if they didn't change their flag. They merely addressed the town council and asked if they would, pretty please, mind swapping the flag out there in the town square. They didn't put any condistions to it or put anyone in fear of their lives. "Nope, just passing through on humanitarian mission. Got any trash that my men can haul away for you? See how nice we are". That's the difference between Diplomacy and Threaten.

Hell, get rid of 170 and 171 and make armies Threaten if they want a pc. Rick dropped diplomacy in FoR and I am beginning to see why.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

"Gunship Diplomacy" didn't use actual threats asides the fact that we had our gigantic warships sitting there when peaceful non-threatening diplomacy was taking place... just because you don't threaten somebody doesn't mean there's not an implied threat...
Just because there's an implied threat doesn't mean non-compliance by the other side will result in carrying out the threat though.

This is a widespread geographical spread of land with communication difficulties inherent in a medieval-esque setting. The group was ordered to negotiate with the village/town and don't have it in their rules of engagement to attack diplomats and need to get such clearance from the capital which takes a while.

And their rules of engagement don't allow attacking diplomats because that's how most armies operate and also because they're playing nice guy.
Not all the kingdoms are nice guys
Right, but when they parley or use diplomacy, that's what they're trying to convince the villagers of. Event he DE is saying, hey, let us take over without a fight, it'll be better for you.