Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King rules
What is the rationale for keeping a king only in the capital in Alamaze? What happens to the king if/when the capital is attacked and conquered? How can you protect the king from military attack – other than relocating capital, agents, defending brigades, etc. (the obvious answers)...particularly if you don't start in a city? What ranks do kings typically start at? What is the benefit of a rank if the only time he can fight is if the capital is attacked? If the king dies, where does the crowning of the new king happen and how? What is the order in which this takes place relative to emmy actions underway in the current turn of the king's death? What is the typical impact to influence, etc.? What strategies should you employ for your king if you don't start in a city?
Well, that's a lot of questions, but I'll do my best. No king starts in a city in the 2nd cycle. All of the cities are controlled by the Humans, so everybody starts with a town as their capital. Defending the capital is one of the key strategic decisions you must make in Alamaze. You can spend money (or magic) to build up the walls. You can keep a group there, but then that group will not be out attacking other centers. Many people use a standing order to have an agent guard their king - one trick - don't use an agent who is stationed in the capital as spies will see this and sleep him if they wish to harm the king. Use one in an obscure village withing ten squares of the capital.
If your king dies, the regent will be relocated to the capital and act as the king. It's a major hit to influence - a prince would have only 80% of the king's influence, a Duke 70%. You can look at your setup and see how your king's starting influence compares to others to get an idea. Influence is VERY important - don't neglect to build it up. You should find the money to do it every turn if you are not enamoring a region or relocating the capital.
Sancus, this isn't Fall of Rome. Fall of Rome, and a lot of it's concepts, came many years after Alamaze. The king doesn't have a military rank and he doesn't contribute to the defense of the PC. Only the fact that it is a capital makes a difference.

If the king dies, your next highest ranking noble will relocate to your new capital immediately and become the new king.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

My Turn 0 report had my king's name with the rank of Imperator after it. So, that is the basis of my question...er, confusion.
(04-04-2013, 09:42 PM)Sancus Wrote: My Turn 0 report had my king's name with the rank of Imperator after it. So, that is the basis of my question...er, confusion.
That doesn't mean anything - it's just for pretty.
(04-04-2013, 10:01 PM)DuPont Wrote:
(04-04-2013, 09:42 PM)Sancus Wrote: My Turn 0 report had my king's name with the rank of Imperator after it. So, that is the basis of my question...er, confusion.
That doesn't mean anything - it's just for pretty.

Rick gave each king a cool title. The Demon Prince king is 'Overlord'. It's flavor.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.