Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to investigate sightings?
(04-06-2013, 04:33 PM)Sancus Wrote: Thanks. Great suggestions. Now...

Let's assume that my agents are on special assignment and finding an artifact is at the noise level for my agents.

What is the most optimized way to clear one or two regions of closest artifacts of "any kind" (not just a weapon) using the HP?

Your HP can't "clear a region". She might find you an artifact clear across the map. The only way to clear a region is to use agents and groups. Keep in mind that the group actually has to stop on the area it's checking. So, a Group can check one area while an L-4 agent can check 4.

In the test game there were nearly 60 artifacts and unusual sightings. That number includes artifacts seeded through towns and villages. On average, I think each region has about half a dozen unusual sightings.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Sancus,

It's pretty hard to "stumble" upon a sighting but it happens. #1 way to go is using the agent search- #2 is the High Priestess for reasons already mentioned.

Also, if I do a turn and have a spare order I will recon a hex on the map just to see if I find anything. It's a good use for Raven Familiar. This is assuming I already recon what is essential, city and the like.

Over time you can check off your map and through this process you will find stuff.

In general it's not easy to find artifacts. Due to the prevalence of HP's in this variant (Ancient Ones) they get discovered more often and in the original game it was TOUGH to get more than a couple in an entire game.

-also keep in mind High Priestesses die all too often when that possibility exists.
True story, on my very first movement order in Alamaze ever, I hit an unusual sighting. Had to fight a hydra.
In test game 99 it turned out that two were in areas neighboring my Witchlord's capial.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Which is a great place to never be found - why stop one area away from that PC?
(04-07-2013, 09:47 AM)Cipher Wrote: Which is a great place to never be found - why stop one area away from that PC?

I never did find them on my own. They were in great hiding places.
 Lord Diamond

I read somewhere that dragons can't investigate sightings? Does this mean that they don't receive a sightings report if their group lands on one? Or do they still see the sightings?
Jumbie finally brings up a good point! I have to disagree with that aspect of the game. HUGE disadvantage for the dragon kingdoms to not be able to investigate sightings. I think that should be fixed.
I second that. I agree with not receiving benefit from weapon artifacts (how would dragons hold them?), but to take away the ability to search and discover useful items like the crown, staff, etc. seems a bit of a drawback.
-The Deliverer
The Dragon setup material seems to indicate that Dragons CAN use artifacts though since it mentions that Dragons only use them in the infantry phase.