Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to investigate sightings?
OK, this may sound stupid, but I need to clarify... If I send a patrol to investigate a sighting, does the group the patrol is from have to be sitting on the same square the sighting is located or is it enough to be within moving distance, or is there some other dynamic?

Under the description of the intercept group command, it says that only a patrol can intercept another patrol. How would that work? You wouldn't know about a patrol in advance if they only exist for the duration of the investigation, right? Do patrols have a more permanent presence?

Just for completeness sake, could someone list the different ways to make an unusual sighting (army group moves over it, palantir recon etc...) and also the different ways to investigate them? Is using agents to steal from the wild basically the same as sending an agent to investigate a sighting? Can wizards investigate sightings on their own?
You are confusing the two uses of the word 'Patrol'.

Technically, a patrol is a group that has no brigades. It can move around, scout, search sightings, and generally act like tiny groups. They cannot do battle, however. This is one of your four Groups.

When they talk about Unusual Sightings they really mean something like a Star Trek 'Away Party'. The Group has to be in the same area, but only the bosses and a dozen red-shirts actually investigate the unusual sighting. When they are done they come back to the Group.

You can only find an unusual sighting by one of the following methods:

1. Your group stops on it. Moving over it isn't enough.
2. You recon the area with an agent, wizard, or palantir.
3. Your High Priestess divines the location.

You can search the sighting with a Group. If you know the short name of the artifact in the sighting, your agent can attempt to steal it. Some people say it is easy, but I lost a Level-19 agent trying just that thing in one game way back when. I've been too scared to try it again!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(04-03-2013, 01:46 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: When they talk about Unusual Sightings they really mean something like a Star Trek 'Away Party'. The Group has to be in the same area, but only the bosses and a dozen red-shirts actually investigate the unusual sighting. When they are done they come back to the Group.

Minus (at least) a few of the red shirts!

C

Just like group to group battles, there is the tactical selection to be made, setting the level of damage the group's (Away Team) members will take before retreating from the unusual sighting's guardian.

This is expressed as a 1, 2 or 3 with the higher number indicating the greater amount of losses to be tolerated.

A few sightings won't involve combat but to win the prize you have to match the correct tactical selection.

The more powerful artifacts require a Key to be obtained, which will involve combat, and then another fight against a stronger guardian after the key unlocks the way. Keys are located in different areas on the map than the artifact whose entry they allow.

Cipher
I seem to recall that one of the prizes was a P-2 wizard!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

So, how would I go about creating a patrol-sized group and what good are they? (Sort of like Frodo and the Fellowship off to destroy something at the volcano I've heard about at ON?)

So wizards can't investigate a sighting on their own?

You say that an agent can attempt to steal an item if the short name is known. Does the item have to be within 10 squares/ Does it work whether the location is known or unknown? Does it have to be an item in possession of a kingdom or can it be undiscovered? (Is 'stealing from the wild' retrieving an undiscovered item from a guardian?)
A Patrol is a group without brigades of troops.
Just a group with 1 or more leaders and or wizards.

A patrol cannot be attacked. Nor can it attack anything. If you have a patrol on an unusual encounter it can investigate that encounter.

A group with troops can do likewise.

I believe a group with brigades has priority if two groups are at an unusual encounter at the same time. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong-

As far as your agent question goes Rick posted that old article about it. I have never done this -surprisingly- to my recollection however I'm pretty sure 99% your Agent has to be in range. I'm unfamiliar with this though.

You need to have a location in order to steal something.

In order to find a "sighting" you need to land a group on that hex or have an agent search. This WILL NOT give you the short artifact name though- Only way to get that is by using a High Priestess or by doing the encounter and retrieving the item. (Unless you begin the game knowing short names or something ie Dwarves)

Note that some pop centers also begin the game in control of artifacts and when you gain control of the pop centers you get the artifact. Up until the test game this was "random" pop centers. In this case you get the town for instance, holding some Palantir, and when you get the town you get the Palantir along with that town. The Palantir is yours but it's at that town until/unless you move the artifact. See the rules/orders if this occurs.
(04-03-2013, 11:30 PM)Jumbie Wrote: So, how would I go about creating a patrol-sized group and what good are they? (Sort of like Frodo and the Fellowship off to destroy something at the volcano I've heard about at ON?)

So wizards can't investigate a sighting on their own?

You say that an agent can attempt to steal an item if the short name is known. Does the item have to be within 10 squares/ Does it work whether the location is known or unknown? Does it have to be an item in possession of a kingdom or can it be undiscovered? (Is 'stealing from the wild' retrieving an undiscovered item from a guardian?)

You must issue a specific order to each wizard to investigate the sighting. They will stay behind in camp unless you force them to do otherwise. I suppose they could investigate on their own, along with the luckless red shirts, if there were no leaders in the Group. The more leaders and wizards, and the better your troops, the easier the sghting will be.

Group Size:

Patrol = 0 Brigades
Brigade = 1-2 Brigades
Division = 3-5 Brigades
Army = 6-9 Brigades
Army Group = 10 or more Brigades

Review Order #960 for specific on Artifact Theft.
 Lord Diamond

I do not see an order to divine US within a targeted range. Finding a particular US by name seems to be a tedious search of one needle in a haystack. Can somebody describe the strategy related with order 790, how to use order sheet on subsequent turn based upon finding a name - using 795? Is this a total map or in a spcific region?
(04-06-2013, 02:10 PM)Sancus Wrote: I do not see an order to divine US within a targeted range. Finding a particular US by name seems to be a tedious search of one needle in a haystack. Can somebody describe the strategy related with order 790, how to use order sheet on subsequent turn based upon finding a name - using 795? Is this a total map or in a spcific region?

The only way to divine a particular TYPE of artifact is to first divine it's short name (#790), then on a subsequent turn, use the short name to divine its location (#795).

For example (assuming HP name is gazer and you want to find a WEAPON artifact)

790 GA WEAPON
Next turn:
795 GA (and give the short name of artifact that you gained from the first divine)

This will give you the exact location (hex) of the artifact on the map. You just need to keep your fingers crossed its' within range. One of the benefits of the teleport spell is that it makes it easy to act on such knowledge.

Addendum:
You can use agents (agent-4 and above) to search for US within four designated hexes, or search with a group. However, there is no way to divine what artifacts are within a region.
Thanks. Great suggestions. Now...

Let's assume that my agents are on special assignment and finding an artifact is at the noise level for my agents.

What is the most optimized way to clear one or two regions of closest artifacts of "any kind" (not just a weapon) using the HP?