Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an Alamaze Map
(03-11-2013, 04:29 PM)Lucky Tiger Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 04:20 PM)Kalrex Wrote: They need Alamaze "Antique" to do the 1st Cycle probablyWink

What ever it takes, I am up for it all.

I will be digging through my storage unit today to find mine. I know I have a few buried in there somewhere.....

(03-11-2013, 06:52 PM)Wulfgar Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 04:20 PM)Kalrex Wrote: They need Alamaze "Antique" to do the 1st Cycle probablyWink

I will be digging through my storage unit today to find mine. I know I have a few buried in there somewhere.....
I have a ton of the Alamaze maps

Yes, the plan is to keep going further back in tech time with each scenario. In about four expansions from now, you can play as Raquel Welch in 1 Million Years BC. You'll need to carve your orders on a stone tablet. Tongue

-I'm going to try the Staples idea and see how it looks... I'll let you guys know if it's good.
- I always like having a physical map I can reference and make plans. I like the old school map Pegasus sent with new set-ups but now the idea of an even slightly bigger map seems neat.

I have two map images from my archive.

Small map: 620x702 pixels, 121KB
Large map: 1220x1382 pixels, 979KB

Also, I have a spreadsheet file that some players used to write down their pop centers for each game. I never used it because I always had a paper map that came with each game but here it is anyway. Though, you may have to enable macros in Excel for it to work (I ran it thru Norton's latest Virus Scanner before uploading it so the file should be free of viruses).

Attached Files
.zip   small_map.zip (Size: 121.41 KB / Downloads: 3)
.zip   large_map.zip (Size: 967.31 KB / Downloads: 13)
.xls   alamaze.xls (Size: 349 KB / Downloads: 14)

(03-11-2013, 03:30 PM)Lucky Tiger Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 02:22 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: We will have a new map with the next scenario after Classic.

I would love to hear more about this. Are you planning on reshuffleing the kingdoms for this (bringing back the halflings, Swampmen, etc?). How difficult is the programming for this? Are we looking at months or years?

Thanks for all your work we appreciate it.

First of all, I want to make sure everyone understands we would never be able to do this project without a lot of volunteer help. Most especially, the programming and game mastering that will be done, at least until we have over 100 players, by an original Alamaze player who will be your game master and is now known as Cipher. Cipher has been fantastic: productive, organized, knowledgeable. You are in good hands. He also already has a way to see that Alamaze Classic turns are processed very timely - I think we are comfortable saying at least that if a turn is due on Thursday, it will be run and available to you on Thursday, in general, barring the unforeseen and even Cipher may take a vacation at some point.

That said, Cipher has been optimistic that the expansion ideas we have discussed are not threatening from a coding or production point of view. So what that means is if the designer doesn't screw things up, we should be good.

Here is an excerpt I shared with the playtesters after it was apparent we were on good footing with Alamaze classic from a processing perspective - we will need to grow the community, of course. BTW, we have an initial unpublished take on a website that should be up about the time #100 and #101 start.

The following doesn't format properly on the forum software, sorry.

1. I have in mind the first expansion (better phrase needed) will be a smaller game in terms of players, but maybe about the same size map, although proportioned differently.
a. I believe both Cipher and I are wanting to go to hexes. So the map might be shaped differently (not 26x26 square), obviously have a different topography and graphics, have hexes.
b. The kingdoms might be something like 9 instead of 15;
i. I’d like a little breathing room for players the first few turns to have a chance to execute a planned (instead of reactive) strategy and cut on early drops;
ii. I want games to start fast if we don’t have a big player base.
c. We might be able to introduce new maps about once every three months – TBD. These will likely not be works of art (especially if they are not farmed out for art), but provide new variety and challenges, keep things fresh.
d. I was thinking today that instead of set kingdoms stationed in a preset method, we might do something like this:
i. You pick a kingdom from however many we have – at least the 15 discussed now, maybe revivals of the other established ones, however;
ii. Your kingdom is named by you incorporating your persona. So, something like, “The Paragon of Destruction of Ry Vor”, instead of “The Witch Lord”.
iii. You name the kingdom as above, but meanwhile in a new Turn O actual turn, you are selecting an existing kingdom, eg, Witch Lord.
iv. In Turn 0, you also can rename all your characters, so it is not immediately evident who the hell you are from the character names. I cringe though at allowing Power 4 “Billy Bob” when such decisions are left in the hands of <others>. LOL.
v. You can pick from a list of ESO’s which might have to be somewhat generic to accommodate all the possibilities, but could be political, military, covert, magical in nature.
vi. You might get to choose one customization – add a brigade, a wizard, a noble, +2 influence, etc. Choose one from a list.
vii. With the above, a single game can have any number of multiples of a single Alamaze kingdom. For example, a 9 player game could have 9 High Elven positions.
viii. I have, again, discussed little of this with Cypher. My only comfort is he was as attracted to some ideas we discussed on moving the platform forward as any of us.

How to balance out the geographical advantages (corner positions, etc) TBD, but not insurmountable, could be as easy as starting treasury or restricting the ESO list, or selecting a starting location is one of your customization options (requiring a backup in the event another player also selects).

WOW, that all sounds like a completely different and intriguing game. So we could end up with a game of all Witchlords, if everyone chose that?

Hats off to Cypher I can't wait to see how this all evolves.

I love it Rick. My only question is, why do you care if a player has a character called 'Billy Bob'? Billy Bob might be from a long lineage of proud Gnome wizards, each of them also named 'Billy Bob'. To a fellow Gnome, or to nearby Troll clans, 'Billy Bob' might be a name that instills awe and fear. I think it's mighty ballsy of you to disparage such a respected lineage!

Besides, if you don't like him you can always try to kill him.

With the Gods as my witness, I shall one day have a Gnome Wizard named 'Billy Bob'!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(03-21-2013, 08:18 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I love it Rick. My only question is, why do you care if a player has a character called 'Billy Bob'? Billy Bob might be from a long lineage of proud Gnome wizards, each of them also named 'Billy Bob'. To a fellow Gnome, or to nearby Troll clans, 'Billy Bob' might be a name that instills awe and fear. I think it's mighty ballsy of you to disparage such a respected lineage!

Hear Hear, death to Billy Bob.

Seriously, We will see a lot of stange names. I had a team mate once that named all his new agents and emissaries after different types of meat. But that is a minor anoyance. With all the thing Rick is proposing I can overlook individual foibles.

(03-21-2013, 08:24 PM)Lucky Tiger Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 08:18 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I love it Rick. My only question is, why do you care if a player has a character called 'Billy Bob'? Billy Bob might be from a long lineage of proud Gnome wizards, each of them also named 'Billy Bob'. To a fellow Gnome, or to nearby Troll clans, 'Billy Bob' might be a name that instills awe and fear. I think it's mighty ballsy of you to disparage such a respected lineage!

Hear Hear, death to Billy Bob.

Seriously, We will see a lot of stange names. I had a team mate once that named all his new agents and emissaries after different types of meat. But that is a minor anoyance. With all the thing Rick is proposing I can overlook individual foibles.

Foibles. Good word. Billy Bob should be renamed Foible. Or Classic Foible.