Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Championship has Begun!
(05-04-2013, 11:39 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 08:22 PM)Sancus Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 06:43 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: Sancus is a fine player. Lord Diamond is as well. Of course, my own vast achivements are mostly in the hidden past in the Valhalla-That-Was. Except for this one, of course.

I am going to call you George, from Sinefield.

And you can be Kramer.

Sancus is not Kramer, may be CL is Kramer. Sancus may be Elaine.

My favorate guy is Newman, which persona played this championship in Newman style? Could that be LT?
I thnk Wulfgar would be Newman. In every game that Wulfgar shows up in my regions it's both unexpected AND so typical of him at the very same time...just like when Seinfeld runs into Newman.

"You again? Hellloooooo Wulfgar..."

Just like that.
What ever happened to half of these Players? It's a shame they don't play anymore. Looks like gimli dropped from the beginning of this game and has never been heard from since. I hope nothing unexpected  happened to him. Has anyone tried to contact all these former Players? 

Can fall of Rome still be played?
It can still be played if you use an old Java version.

I still check back every once in awhile. Mostly I am playing Hyborian War now. I see Wulfgar and Lord Diamond on Facebook all the time.

Would love to see a Fall of Rome revival, but clearly the priority is with Alamaze. Not that I blame anyone, as Alamaze clearly has way more interest. I have not kept up, but if it ever goes to a full web GUI then I might be interested in trying it again.
(03-31-2017, 10:19 AM)Diws Wrote: It can still be played if you use an old Java version.

I still check back every once in awhile.  Mostly I am playing Hyborian War now.  I see Wulfgar and Lord Diamond on Facebook all the time.

Would love to see a Fall of Rome revival, but clearly the priority is with Alamaze.  Not that I blame anyone, as Alamaze clearly has way more interest.   I have not kept up, but if it ever goes to a full web GUI then I might be interested in trying it again.

It is almost full GUI , not the map, but all order input is there and with ready buttons first all players you should play the free dual game and check it out.
Although I did the original Alamaze programming back in 1984 - 1990, that's the extent for me.   When I sold Alamaze to Phil around 1992 shortly after releasing 2nd Cycle, he was convinced against my counsel to convert it to something called Clipper, he lost 500 of 1000 positions in a few months of downtime.  The saddest thing is it was no more automated than previously, and the couple things I never fixed myself like the effects of the transfer of the Ring of Power and a couple other idiosyncrasies were still there.  In other words, half the player base was lost with no benefit.  I might add the main provocateur of that language change told both me and Phil it would take "a couple weeks".  After six months, he had produced a document explaining my Symphony code, and that was it and resigned.  He couldn't believe how intricate the Alamaze algorithms were: assumed it was bluster which kind of was the usual case back then.

I did Fall of Rome design and had very good developers and it worked flawlessly until Java did a couple updates after my developers had left, and we have not fixed it to date though that is an obvious blemish that I have to live with.  Meanwhile Alamaze is with Mike a light year ahead and has (mostly) preserved my sanity.  When I got back Alamaze at the beginning of The Resurgence now exactly four years ago, it was in .txt files and in Clipper, which was dismissed maybe 15 years earlier as a workable format.  It was pretty much like starting from scratch.  But I still acknowledge at every opportunity we wouldn't have Alamaze back without everything David Pitzel did to make it happen.  But David couldn't get it to where Mike did and here we are, Ready Button, order checker and verification, and all the rest.

We should be able to fix Fall of Rome, but I can't articulate exactly what needs to be done, and I am not going to pay "market" rates for what should be an easy fix.  I do think we would get about two dozen players back for Fall of Rome.
(03-31-2017, 08:55 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: ....

We should be able to fix Fall of Rome, but I can't articulate exactly what needs to be done, and I am not going to pay "market" rates for what should be an easy fix.  I do think we would get about two dozen players back for Fall of Rome.

Well, obviously you can count on me if FOR comes back, and probably Diamond and Wulfgar.   THat's 3/24 anyway Smile   In the meantime, I really like the automation of the orders for Alamaze; it addresses most of my complaints about the game during the beta, and I am thinking that I may become a regular player.
We will hope so, Diws.  A good strategist in FoR who can put his mind to it.  Players should reach out to him: he may teach you a thing or two as well.

We do recommend every new or "old" player returning try a free DUEL first.  Then when we have a few new players joining or returning in short order, we usually offer a Primeval game format: five new players or four new and one neutral mentor.

Then in a full 12 player game, take a corner position, generally.  New players somehow seem to ignore all this and request The Sacred Order for their first foray and then we never hear from them again.