Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kingdom Portraits
And if Rick approves of the new Alchemist wizard kingdom, here's the tentative pics...

Attached Files
.html   AL5610R0.html (Size: 8.76 KB / Downloads: 7)
(06-19-2022, 08:07 PM)unclemike Wrote: And if Rick approves of the new Alchemist wizard kingdom, here's the tentative pics...

Pretty nice graphics Mike.
Thanks. I tried to find artwork that represented each kingdom in a meaningful way that the original portrait failed to do properly.

Take the Cimmerians for example. The new pic shows a village burning in the background reflecting the barbarian way. I also searched for a winter scene to reflect the text, "The Cimmerian Nation from the North". And, I also like that wicked-looking axe.

For a bunch of other kingdoms, I also considered finding something different than the current portrait. For example, the Black Dragon. The original portrait shows a lame looking dragon sitting with its tail between its legs. As if it was a beaten down dog. That's not how a mighty Black Dragon should be portrayed. Take a look at my photo. The Black Dragon is majestic. It's massive as it should be. That's a huge difference between the two images.

Another example showing the stark difference between images is the Druid. Does anyone really think the original kingdom portrait reflects a Druid of any kind? Not to me. Now, take a look at my photo. See the difference? The contrast and difference in quality is undeniable. The new picture is not only an awesome looking photo, but also is needed to properly represent the Druid kingdom.

Another example of that is the Gnome. The former picture looks terrible. Take a look at mine. Now, that's a Gnome! The level of quality between the two pictures is significant. BTW, that is not a vase behind the gnome, it's an owl.

So, it took me a while to find appropriate artwork that not only reflected the game, but do so in a manner that, perhaps, showed the kingdom in another perspective. I felt that was important to do and should help with the visual enjoyment of the game.

I did have some tough choices to make though. Look at the two attached examples of alternate pictures. The Necromancer alternate shows zombies compared to the skeleton army. Even though the alternate is a cool looking photo, I felt the latter with an army reflected the game better. 

Or look at the Tyrant alternate. I really wanted the alternate with that nasty looking creature to reflect the assortment of creatures possible in a Tyrant army. But I decided to use the more common version of orcs and worgs for the official Tyrant picture.

So, let me know if I should use either alternate for those two kigndoms than the official version and I can make the change...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks awesome!
One question I dontknow if anyone else has this issue but sometimes the icon covers a pop center anyway to make this not happen or does it have to be preset?
(06-20-2022, 05:10 PM)Brekk Wrote: Looks awesome!
One question I dontknow if anyone else has this issue but sometimes the icon covers a pop center anyway to make this not happen or does it have to be preset?

Is there an example that you can provide of the issue? I need more detail to go on for me to investigate...
Some of the new images have excellent detail that doesn't show when shrunk down to fit on the kingdom report. For example, take a closer look at the Amazon's face tattoos...

Also, some of the new images fit the flavor text better. As in this example of a lioness...