Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 2021 Championship Qualifying Steel - Pagan
Flevis , waiting on you to join.

DA, it looked like the DE had a good chance of winning, definitely making it to podium, now he makes a huge mistake and goes after a well defended position that's near the bottom in points, instead of his leading contenders. Oh well!

UN - ALL

Good game all. It was a fun one for me --> UN are a lot of fun to play and have many tools in the tool chest to work with.

I was initially worried about the Pirates as my neighbor as I had a water capital. Was able to find his capital around the same time he found mine (but I knew he spotted mine, he didn't know that I spotted his). I was able to get on his capital first and position to trail a bounced capital from there. Shifted gears pretty quickly to looking at the next weakened neighbor (illusionist) who was involved in a slugfest with the Necromancer. Positioned politicals, agents, military while I searched for his hidden capital. Found it and hit him hard mid game. He dropped pretty quickly...I had planned to pause and consolidate my gains but Mr. Necro decided to wipe out one of my armies who happened to stop at the same Illusionist town ... so be it, the fight is on. Good thing I had been doing a fair amount of recon in the Untamed Lands. Moved on the offensive and was able to eliminate all of his politicals fairly quickly and remove him from the game with a last early kidnap...right as the Warlock jumped into the fray.

I was concerned that I was going to start getting more unwanted attention so started to plan for a potential run for a win. I knew the Warlock had built a large number of Legendary Castles and was playing quite defensive - it was going to be a real slugfest to take him out so I decided to jump over him to grab Stormgate. I had built up a Legendary killer army group by then and was able to take it fairly easily while flipping the Untamed politically. The Demon Princes had teleported back to retake Stormgate at the end, so I was glad that I was able to secure the Untamed Lands when I did (I hadn't felt like it was going to be a sure deal).

The gods of war smiled on the Underworld this game ...thanks to all of the players of the Qualifying Game - Pagan.

See you on the next battlefield.

HabeusCorpus

Congrats! Very well played

(12-04-2021, 12:45 AM)HabeusCorpus Wrote: UN - ALL

Good game all.  It was a fun one for me --> UN are a lot of fun to play and have many tools in the tool chest to work with.  

I was initially worried about the Pirates as my neighbor as I had a water capital.  Was able to find his capital around the same time he found mine (but I knew he spotted mine, he didn't know that I spotted his).  I was able to get on his capital first and position to trail a bounced capital from there.  Shifted gears pretty quickly to looking at the next weakened neighbor (illusionist) who was involved in a slugfest with the Necromancer.  Positioned politicals, agents, military while I searched for his hidden capital.  Found it and hit him hard mid game.  He dropped pretty quickly...I had planned to pause and consolidate my gains but Mr. Necro decided to wipe out one of my armies who happened to stop at the same Illusionist town ... so be it, the fight is on.  Good thing I had been doing a fair amount of recon in the Untamed Lands.  Moved on the offensive and was able to eliminate all of his politicals fairly quickly and remove him from the game with a last early kidnap...right as the Warlock jumped into the fray.  

I was concerned that I was going to start getting more unwanted attention so started to plan for a potential run for a win.  I knew the Warlock had built a large number of Legendary Castles and was playing quite defensive - it was going to be a real slugfest to take him out so I decided to jump over him to grab Stormgate.  I had built up a Legendary killer army group by then and was able to take it fairly easily while flipping the Untamed politically.  The Demon Princes had teleported back to retake Stormgate at the end, so I was glad that I was able to secure the Untamed Lands when I did (I hadn't felt like it was going to be a sure deal).

The gods of war smiled on the Underworld this game ...thanks to all of the players of the Qualifying Game - Pagan.

HabeusCorpus

Congratulations!  I may have been the first one out of this one.  I had hoped my PI might match up well against the UN but it was hopeless very early.  Well played.

(12-04-2021, 12:45 AM)HabeusCorpus Wrote: UN - ALL

Good game all.  It was a fun one for me --> UN are a lot of fun to play and have many tools in the tool chest to work with.  

I was initially worried about the Pirates as my neighbor as I had a water capital.  Was able to find his capital around the same time he found mine (but I knew he spotted mine, he didn't know that I spotted his).  I was able to get on his capital first and position to trail a bounced capital from there.  Shifted gears pretty quickly to looking at the next weakened neighbor (illusionist) who was involved in a slugfest with the Necromancer.  Positioned politicals, agents, military while I searched for his hidden capital.  Found it and hit him hard mid game.  He dropped pretty quickly...I had planned to pause and consolidate my gains but Mr. Necro decided to wipe out one of my armies who happened to stop at the same Illusionist town ... so be it, the fight is on.  Good thing I had been doing a fair amount of recon in the Untamed Lands.  Moved on the offensive and was able to eliminate all of his politicals fairly quickly and remove him from the game with a last early kidnap...right as the Warlock jumped into the fray.  

I was concerned that I was going to start getting more unwanted attention so started to plan for a potential run for a win.  I knew the Warlock had built a large number of Legendary Castles and was playing quite defensive - it was going to be a real slugfest to take him out so I decided to jump over him to grab Stormgate.  I had built up a Legendary killer army group by then and was able to take it fairly easily while flipping the Untamed politically.  The Demon Princes had teleported back to retake Stormgate at the end, so I was glad that I was able to secure the Untamed Lands when I did (I hadn't felt like it was going to be a sure deal).

HabeusCorpus

Glad you won it when you did. I was the RD and on the turn you won the SO invaded Zanthia and would probably have taken it and my capital. As it is, I was able to squeak into 3rd.

Congratulations  on a Rex win with the UN. 

What happened to the DE? I was looking forward to the battle at my capital on the last turn.

Congratz to the UN on a very nice win, a rare occurrence now days prior to turn 40. Also, my apologies for not really participating.  As Eregnon mentioned, I did practically nothing until the last turn of the game...  I sort of feel if I don't have some sort of gimmick or theory to test, I get bored.  I did find the twins and I did try out my leader raising tactic there, but that was really boring.  The DE made the mistake of investigating that artifact while I was there with 9 wizards raising my leaders... none of his 3 wizards made it out alive.  That was about the extent of my involvement in the game.

I considered moving on the UN when he started to get some far ahead, but in Pagan games it takes extra turns to shift gears like that, since you can't just divine PCs and move in, you have to teleport down, then cast locate PCs... and that just seemed like too much work.

Anyway, Habeus, Lord Garth and Eregnon get a spot in the Championship game.  Others who are practically confirmed are Pine needle, Wookie and Brek, who each have multiple wins this year.  I think Rick started another championship qualifier, but I am not certain, he indicated that he would like to have some input on the championship this year so I have not been paying much attention.  Anyone with a single win I think still has a shot (Painted, dupont, Acererak, UncleD, winstar, relgar and Keeope).  Anyone with zero wins, and zero podium in qualifiers will only have a shot if many others decline.

That leaves me out this year, unless for some reason there is a spot for the most 3rd place finishes...

I made two huge mistakes in this game and considered myself lucky to walk away in the 2 spot.

War broke out early in this game as it will when there is a RD and a TY. From the Diamond Coast I reconned and watched the Du, Ty and Rd slug it out in Darkover and I prepared for the war to come to me. I was ready but as it turned out, the Du got bounced and the Da jumped in. At this point I'm thinking that war will last the rest of the game so I turn my attention to the UN who was taking his 3rd region and the Ne is on deck.

I know its only a matter of time before the UN bounces the Ne and comes for Stormgate. My problem is getting there to defend it. The DE doesn't get Tele Army group till P8. I have the Key to the Gem ... but in a damn pagan game I cant find the Gem. And I am reconning the WA and SO caps regularly ... It doesnt appear they are addressing the UN threat .... So I gotta act. Problem is, I dont know where any of the UN pops are since he in on the other side of the map .. and I can't divine them cause this is a damn pagan game.  And I need a P8 to get a group to Stormgate.  

Here comes mistake number one. I have a P7 in my big group and try to raise to a P8.  I got a 50/50 chance.   At the same time, I have 3 mages in a patrol and decide to raise one, cast Bounty with one, and teleport to an artifact I found.  If I successfully make the P8 then the Army group will go to Stormgate and that patrol would march to the UN regions and Unveil pops for my groups and princes to attack. If the 50/50 chance failed I could sail to Stromgate or Cornucopia to Dome if need be.  This is a great plan!

Alas, I walked into 3 SO groups each with 3 P7' s who were mining the artifact which turned out to be the Adepts.  Sure I could have Instant Self Teleported but I needed to sail to Stormgate and protect the city in case the UN went there.  So I cast Protect Heroes and Wizards against all three groups and walked away.   I was sure Senior T knew I was no threat.  But he dispelled the protections and killed all my wizards and now I cant dome this city or muster any attack against the UN.  Great job there.

But finally I got that P8 and I can teleport to Stormgate.  I know the UN is coming and sure enough he did.   But here comes mistake number 2.  I teleported to NU instead of NP.   CRAP!!!

This confused the DA obviously and he posted an angry post in a silent game about it but I couldn't respond.   In fact there was nothing I could do.  My wizards who would have been there to dome were killed.  My army group was in the wrong spot.   I knew the game was over so I just made some wizard towers on that last turn, teleported to Stormgate and crossed my fingers.  But by then it was over.

Congrats to the UN on a decisive win.

Oh.  And on the last turn I found and got the Gem of the Planes.  Timing is everything.

DE