Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5445 Goes to the Reptiles
Oh, please don't take if that I'm bitching and grumbling - I wouldn't have taken the SA again if I thought that there was no value to them - it's just more of a challenge. I do think they are worthy of an adjustment or two when the next update comes around, but I'm not going to sit on my hands and refuse to play them until they get 'better'. One of the great things about Maelstorm is that the kingdoms are not tied to specific regions and you are free to see if they might thrive better in a different one. We currently have a game with the RD in Zamora, something I would expect the developer never anticipated! As I've said many times, I really don't play the game with the primary objective of winning, though that can be a nice bonus, so much as I just enjoy the playing and trying different things. I would enjoy winning with the SA after dissing them, but we shall see if I can manage that!

RD to SA
Just for the record, I did not follow you to the Gnome city. I hit his capital and then followed the Gnome's capital to the city. You just happened to show up there. And I had no interest in fighting you, but once you showed up twice... well, things just had to happen. That flanking really does hurt. My RD never even had a close battle, even when the Tyrant had 20 to my 9 and I ran away on a 1 because I did not understand just how strong they were. Even running on a 1, I technically lost the battle but did like 38% and only took 16%. Definitely should have stayed to see that battle through. I think I eliminated 5 army groups.
I feel badly for the Gnome. He just happened to be the closest guy in the south without a hidden capital so I jumped over a region to go hit him. 
Not sure why the Tyrant wiped out Stormgate but then left the village alive for an easy region conquering. I took advantage of it, but just missed the win. Then the LI took advantage and, well, you know, the game ended.

(04-29-2020, 02:41 AM)VballMichael Wrote: RD to SA
Just for the record, I did not follow you to the Gnome city. I hit his capital and then followed the Gnome's capital to the city. You just happened to show up there. And I had no interest in fighting you, but once you showed up twice... well, things just had to happen. That flanking really does hurt. My RD never even had a close battle, even when the Tyrant had 20 to my 9 and I ran away on a 1 because I did not understand just how strong they were. Even running on a 1, I technically lost the battle but did like 38% and only took 16%. Definitely should have stayed to see that battle through. I think I eliminated 5 army groups.
I feel badly for the Gnome. He just happened to be the closest guy in the south without a hidden capital so I jumped over a region to go hit him. 
Not sure why the Tyrant wiped out Stormgate but then left the village alive for an easy region conquering. I took advantage of it, but just missed the win. Then the LI took advantage and, well, you know, the game ended.

Part of me wants to see how our battle would have worked out. I was at 150k in terrain and had enough warlords that you couldn't flank... but still not hopeful for my odds. I do have a healthier respect for LI troops now, though. Makes me wonder why Wookie let my HA abuse his LI lo these many moons ago.

(04-29-2020, 02:56 AM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 02:41 AM)VballMichael Wrote: RD to SA

Part of me wants to see how our battle would have worked out. I was at 150k in terrain and had enough warlords that you couldn't flank... but still not hopeful for my odds. I do have a healthier respect for LI troops now, though. Makes me wonder why Wookie let my HA abuse his LI lo these many moons ago.

You would have won. That was my secondary group. It was only worth about 70k. My main group would have been a good battle.

One of the important things I would like to add in the next edition turn results is more detail on a force (group) defensive value/rating. 

Until then, remember leaders add their value to defense, as do P3+ wizards from Presence, then perhaps improved armor from a forge, then spells. 

So a group with maybe a base 1.5 defense (loss divider), with a couple marshals, a general, two P3 wizards, one casting Shield, you about double your defense to 3.0, so half the losses.  That's not counting if you are on the defense which adds more.

(04-29-2020, 04:04 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: One of the important things I would like to add in the next edition turn results is more detail on a force (group) defensive value/rating. 

Until then, remember leaders add their value to defense, as do P3+ wizards from Presence, then perhaps improved armor from a forge, then spells. 

So a group with maybe a base 1.5 defense (loss divider), with a couple marshals, a general, two P3 wizards, one casting Shield, you about double your defense to 3.0, so half the losses.  That's not counting if you are on the defense which adds more.

Yeah this would be awesome.  In my own calculations I am using a model that employs added "hit points" for certain factors, and I am getting pretty close to being able to predict losses in battle.  But often things will happen, either for better or worse, that don't fit my model.  The SA, for example, since people are talking about it, I have had great success with in battle.  The SA troops are as good as paladins in terrain, better vs PC, but a bit more fragile, so you need to add "hit points" to the group to see good results.  In my own game, I added equal numbers of stormgate guard to my SA brigades, along with war machines for use vs PCs, and the results are very satisfying.  SA promotes warlords like crazy, so flanking really isn't an issue I dealt with.  Against dragons my groups held up quite well.  Even when brigade numbers were nearly equal, my losses vs RD were only about double theirs with the fight to the last man tactic.

GN didn't drop. GN got eliminated.
I think my only chance would have been to relocate my capital on turn 2 to mountains and hunker down with/recruit stone golems. I did the latter, but my army was no match to Red in plains (3% damage?).
You win some, you lose some (more).
GG Painted, and no hard feelings nor reason to feel bad, Vball.