Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
covid 19 wash state emergency update
Speaking of genetically coded immunity, I was trying to explain to my mother what a virus was and our historical relationship with them the other day.  I was surprised by her question, "So are viruses good or bad?"  I had to admit that while on an individual level, its almost always bad, aside from the immunity developed to that specific virus.  But for the long-term survival of the species, viral infections that kill off large portions of the population are often good for our genetic makeup.  Our current genome contains dozens of strands that were donated by viruses over the millennia.  And of course we share symbiotic relationships with bacteria as well.  Its an important phenomenon of evolution.

(03-26-2020, 11:17 PM)Agent Orange Wrote: No fake news about the butt wipe shortage.. reduced to using paper towels, and if it continues, ive got a few old t shirts ready for the block!

But it beats the dried leaves senior t had to use on a long drive home when we was in the corps! LOL

Yeah, never use dried leaves.  Better to just use your under ware and then toss them.

(03-27-2020, 12:24 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: Speaking of genetically coded immunity, I was trying to explain to my mother what a virus was and our historical relationship with them the other day.  I was surprised by her question, "So are viruses good or bad?"  I had to admit that while on an individual level, its almost always bad, aside from the immunity developed to that specific virus.  But for the long-term survival of the species, viral infections that kill off large portions of the population are often good for our genetic makeup.  Our current genome contains dozens of strands that were donated by viruses over the millennia.  And of course we share symbiotic relationships with bacteria as well.  Its an important phenomenon of evolution.

I do some writing, for a small audience at this point, but here is one that applies:

Virus
I don’t think anyone on this recipient list are infectious disease doctors, or even went to medical school.  So we hear “virus” and think – what – that we can get sick, or even die.  But what more is there to a virus?

First, science is still figuring out viruses.  Some fun facts:
·        We don’t know if a virus is alive, or an organic structure that interacts with living organisms;
·        A virus is too small to be seen through an optic microscope.  They are about 100th the size of a bacteria;
·        A virus does not have a cellular structure;
·        Viruses cannot reproduce outside of a host (non-virus) cell;
·        Viruses have likely been around since the first cells (amoebas) have existed.

I am not finding how a “thing” smaller than a bacteria, that is not a single cell at all, “knows” how to invade living cells.

Further speculation probably depends on whether you think viruses and life are all just accidents of nature, or if there was design (purpose).  But the thought I am left with is somehow, a thing much smaller than a single cell, and itself not cellular, has been around from the beginning of time for some reason, and adapts itself much faster than cellular organisms adapt.  It is counter-intuitive.

Related to the topic, I offer this as well (I realize this is not Alamaze related and will refrain but my excuse is I did not start this thread):

Army Corp of Engineers

I am notoriously down on the efficacy of the federal government, but surprise, I have something good to say.

I’ve been impressed with the creativity and speed and sensible decisions:
  • The fast action on the travel ban: China, Italy and Europe;
  • The private sector shooting into action instead of relying on government.  This includes corporations from pharmacies to car makers altering their models to provide everything the experts say we need, from ventilators to beds;
  • The constant recommendations to the public are still annoyingly frequent but are working, as in the public is heeding the advice;
  • Some unique solutions, which normally are not associated with a big bureaucracy, again, a refreshing coordination between corporate and government for the general good;
  • In particular, the Army Corp of Engineers, who are converting hotels and dormitories that are vacant into equipped hospitals across the country;
  • The relative balance of a little late recognizing the impact on the economy of telling everyone to stay at home, but Congress more or less pulling together and dropping the politics;
  • Congress recognizing the need to help the vulnerable, like the service industry millions of employees.  I don’t feel like I should get a check but those living on the margin are helped;
  • It seems even normal enemies like the governors of New York and California praising Trump and the federal response (somewhat);
  • The FDA relaxing all their protocols to get treatment and maybe a vaccine in weeks instead of years;
  • I still think the whole thing is overblown, but I know I am in a small minority there, so witnessing the whole country kind of coming together unlike anything since 911.

So, I may spoil the broth for some with this next a bit, but I don’t think a typical President would have pulled all this off.   In particular, not that Congress spent money (what they love to do), but the coordination of the private and public sector.  Too often government wants to solve problems they can’t: I remember Obama’s reluctance to work with the private sector to help with the Shell / BP oil spill, thinking government is the answer, whereas the experts were in the private sector. 

Overall, I’ve been impressed with how the entire country has handled this event, and I think the learnings will carry forward to the next crisis, whatever that may be.

I'm encouraged that several more have joined in on this thread but saddened that it has wondered into politics.  One of the things that I love about Alamaze it that it takes me to a place away from the daily political hatred that is pulling our country apart.  Let's all, and of course I include myself, drag this beast back to the Alamaze world and try to contain it there.  I'll try to make my next post more appropriate for Alamaze. 
Ummm.... maybe something from the Druids?

Good read Airetar. But from an empathic perspective, not scientific, could the virus exist as it’s only nature is to invade? It’s purpose is to destroy? I’m religious and I believe there is a purpose to everything created, even if man refuses or is clueless to its nature. Smile The Black Plague occurred when the world population began to explode, and there is 7.3 billion on earth now, the world has a way of correcting and to think that bodies of humanity can exist without disease and famine when they are stacked upon each other in small areas is pretty arrogant of humanity. Smile

(03-27-2020, 01:15 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: I'm encouraged that several more have joined in on this thread but saddened that it has wondered into politics.  One of the things that I love about Alamaze it that it takes me to a place away from the daily political hatred that is pulling our country apart.  Let's all, and of course I include myself, drag this beast back to the Alamaze world and try to contain it there.  I'll try to make my next post more appropriate for Alamaze. 
Ummm.... maybe something from the Druids?

Agree, politics breeds loathing and hate.  True freedom is to live dead from the things of man.  For you can not serve two masters. :Smile your a good man Wookie, just turn them off brother Smile

Alamaze = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcwRt6J32o

(03-27-2020, 01:31 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Alamaze = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcwRt6J32o

You nailed it RY Vor.  Thanks for bringing us back.

(03-27-2020, 01:34 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 01:31 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Alamaze = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcwRt6J32o

You nailed it RY Vor.  Thanks for bringing us back.

Nice