Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying Undead
OK, I'm being ignored by support, this is day 4 now (turns run every 3 days, by the way, so I have already had to do some work-arounds, wasting orders, so that I would not have to discover that this order will fail on me).  Before I go off the deep end here, let me take a deep breath instead and ask the players this:

Will 7 brigades of specters fly?

If you have nothing but 5 brigades of specters in a group, you CAN use order 727 and fly them 7 squares in any direction.

HOWEVER, if you issue order 727 and you have SEVEN brigades of specters in your group (and nothing else) the order entry program will give you an ERROR, saying only 5 may fly...

My question is: is this the intended result?  Why would 7 brigades of specters not fly?

I suspect its because, in an attempt to make programming convenient, specter flying ability was lumped in with Lost bat and Pegasus artifact flying ability (since 727 is the order for artifact flying)... BUT when they raised the amount of specters you can have in a group from 5 to 7, they neglected to also change the program to make it so they can still fly (Pegasus and Bat carried troops are still limited to one full division).

IF 7 brigades of specters CAN'T fly, I've wasted a bunch of time and effort on my current strategy.  AND if I issue the order for my specter groups to fly, and the order fails, I will have wasted a good bunch of time as well, which is what I hope to avoid by getting this question answered.

SO, has anyone tried it?  (he asked, knowing probably no one has).

When you MOVE 7 specters (with 710 and 720) the turn result will SAY "....flew as ordered to area xyz." EVEN when flying is not possible (so like when your ending spot is a water PC.)  SO the turn result SAYING that they FLEW is NOT an indication that this will work.

On a side note, the best way to get people to NOT join your game is to have crappy customer service.

yes more than 5 units can fly using 727 as long as the entire group is flying units. I have done this many time. basically a mini teleport. I have not specifically done it with 7 specters but have with 10 bats. the order checker flags it but the game allows it, as it should.

as for the water PC thing this is a weird one. seems if you have an item like bats or green dragon mates you can not move onto water squares. and as I also reported to support but got no response from if you have green dragon mates and bats in the same group you can no longer use the fly (727) order as the green dragon mates block your division size group that should be allowed to fly with your bats.

But I do think you can move using a 710 onto water if your group is flying just becasue they are all flying units, but not for dragons. I would like to see a change actually allowing dragons to specifically land in a water square with a PC on it.

(01-30-2020, 09:29 PM)Draugr Wrote: yes more than 5 units can fly using 727 as long as the entire group is flying units.   I have done this many time.  basically a mini teleport.   I have not specifically done it with 7 specters but have with 10 bats.   the order checker flags it but the game allows it, as it should.

as for the water PC thing this is a weird one.   seems if you have an item like bats or green dragon mates you can not move onto water squares.  and as I also reported to support but got no response from if you have green dragon mates and bats in the same group you can no longer use the fly (727) order as the green dragon mates block your division size group that should be allowed to fly with your bats.  

But I do think you can move using a 710 onto water if your group is flying just becasue they are all flying units, but not for dragons.   I would like to see a change actually allowing dragons to specifically land in a water square with a PC on it.

THANK YOU!!!

btw the water landing was with 710, sea movement... but it still reported "...flew as ordered..."  weird.

And I agree with you that flying creatures could be allowed to land on water PCs, but I can also see why we don't want to allow it (makes sea power less important, gives too much to flying kingdoms).  Honestly I'm good either way.

ignored by support...…...say it aint so.
lol

Yeah, we sometimes get requests to explain results to players.  There's no one here to do that, and, is there any other game you would ask of that?  If something happens in Axis & Allies you didn't expect, do you send an email to Milton Bradley and wait for a reply?  We could go back to those days of $7.50 a turn, and have someone do that, if that's what players want.

Nope, those "what had happened" questions are better sent through this forum.

(01-31-2020, 07:47 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Yeah, we sometimes get requests to explain results to players.  There's no one here to do that, and, is there any other game you would ask of that?  If something happens in Axis & Allies you didn't expect, do you send an email to Milton Bradley and wait for a reply?  We could go back to those days of $7.50 a turn, and have someone do that, if that's what players want.

Nope, those questions are better sent through this forum.

Except that I had to reveal my plans to get the question answered.  And if Draugr is right, then the order entry program is incorrectly coded, which shouldnt be possible because I was told it was perfect.

(01-31-2020, 07:48 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 07:47 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Yeah, we sometimes get requests to explain results to players.  There's no one here to do that, and, is there any other game you would ask of that?  If something happens in Axis & Allies you didn't expect, do you send an email to Milton Bradley and wait for a reply?  We could go back to those days of $7.50 a turn, and have someone do that, if that's what players want.

Except that I had to reveal my plans to get the question answered.

A private message or email to an experienced player is an option to consider going forward. Avoids the public posting.

Or, just end everything with "asking for a friend" and that way we don't know it's for you.

(01-31-2020, 07:51 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 07:48 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote:

Except that I had to reveal my plans to get the question answered.

A private message or email to an experienced player is an option to consider going forward. Avoids the public posting.

Or, just end everything with "asking for a friend" and that way we don't know it's for you.
Perhaps... how many people would I have had to message before I found someone who knew?  The program is nearly perfect and there are like 25 of us how often can something like this possibly happen?  Support couldn't fire off an email saying "ignore the error"?

And, by the way, Beamdog the programmers for Axis and Allies have a team of developers patching and updating the game regularly.

I can't speak for support, or for your experience. Speaking for me, my steps would have been to email support and then if no response came reaching out to the experienced folks like Draugr and VBall to see if they've run into the same. Given that we are trying to grow the player base, airing grievances with support via the forum is not a step I would take. If we can get the base to where it could be, I would hope we would have someone more dedicated to this type of issue (and resolution). Until then, I will lean more heavily on the community.