Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maelstrom 2.0 Military Changes
Fear question please:

Is there a total cap on fear now?  I know orcs were limited.  For example TY has ruthless and night attack.  Both cause fear 10%.  TY can also recruit orcs and cast fear spells.  Is there a limit on how much total fear can impact a combat?
I might not be understanding this damage divider for fortifications.  If the legendary castle has a damage divider of 3.3, and a defense of say 200,000... how much damage will it take to overcome the defenses without any fear?  (RA has no fear, for example).  I'm thinking over 600,000?

I've looked at 3 warlords, 3 power 7 wizards (valor, earthquake, whatever) with 70 elite paladins to get to 600,000 damage, am I missing something?
(12-31-2020, 07:49 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: I might not be understanding this damage divider for fortifications.  If the legendary castle has a damage divider of 3.3, and a defense of say 200,000... how much damage will it take to overcome the defenses without any fear?  (RA has no fear, for example).  I'm thinking over 600,000?

I've looked at 3 warlords, 3 power 7 wizards (valor, earthquake, whatever) with 70 elite paladins to get to 600,000 damage, am I missing something?

That’s what I was wondering too...
(12-31-2020, 08:33 PM)PTRILEY Wrote:
(12-31-2020, 07:49 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: I might not be understanding this damage divider for fortifications.  If the legendary castle has a damage divider of 3.3, and a defense of say 200,000... how much damage will it take to overcome the defenses without any fear?  (RA has no fear, for example).  I'm thinking over 600,000?

That’s what I was wondering too...

Really that is just something a RA will not being very easy.  They will need to use speed and fast promotions to take someone out before they build.  Though 5 regions really puts a damper on that as well.  Even the way around no low level fear using crack the sky is 2 levels about max spell level have fun tossing crazy amounts of gold for a 25% shot.   RA does get stalwart so is exceptional at defending vs the fear group that shows up to take the PC.   In example above I think best corse would to split those p7s into three groups and meteor strike the castle down until it is at a more manageable level if you must take it.   Mammoths can give you a sprinkle of fear.
I think you will find more legendary castle being built and many kingdoms that just cannot really take one down reasonably.  RA I think at least at some point could.  RD being limited to a maximum number of troops may never be able to effect a PC over a set defense level.
I agree with that assessment
Draugr welcome back, have not seen you for a while.  And a nice evaluation as well, meteor strike is the only way the RA would ever take a legendary, but I only used the RA example because I'm currently playing them.  I have not looked at all the kingdoms, but certainly there are kingdoms with zero real avenues to conquering a legendary if I am correct about how the damage divider works.

I'm actually using multiple small groups with the RA because to me that's just fun stuff right there.  The problem with the RA is that developing troops AND wizards at the same time is expensive.
I can see why RA would have fun with small groups as you can't recruit or summon more than 5 of anything except for pop center troops.  I suppose in theory you could recruit enough pop center troops to take a legendary castle but you would have to have captured several regions to pay and feed them.
(01-01-2021, 08:51 AM)Wookie Panz Wrote: I can see why RA would have fun with small groups as you can't recruit or summon more than 5 of anything except for pop center troops.  I suppose in theory you could recruit enough pop center troops to take a legendary castle but you would have to have captured several regions to pay and feed them.

No I'm talking REALLY small groups.  Two elite rangers with a power 5 teleporting them around.  They can take a village and teleport to the next... or with a spell can take a town and walk away, both while taking zero damage (because healing).

Its kind of awesome, I also have a group not quite as small, 4 elite rangers and 1 elite mammoth (for the fear), teleporting around invisible.  That one can easily take a city, with only a tiny bit of damage on the mammoth.

My biggest group was an army, 3 mammoth and 7 rangers (teleporting, invisible)... but these ranger brigades just keep coming every 5 turns, so now I just have too many troops.  Maybe gonna try for a power 8 wizard, or upgrade those smaller groups.  Not sure.

Before the fortification changes, my elite division could take a castle.  After, my army cant even do it.  That's why I have to reconsider my group compositions.  Or maybe just get all my wizards up to 7 for meteor strike.
(01-01-2021, 08:51 AM)Wookie Panz Wrote: I can see why RA would have fun with small groups as you can't recruit or summon more than 5 of anything except for pop center troops.  I suppose in theory you could recruit enough pop center troops to take a legendary castle but you would have to have captured several regions to pay and feed them.

At those multipliers, if I’m doing it right Rick said average 3X1 attack to defense rating? If this is correct my TY would need 8 plus brigades he starts with to just have a chance to take a normal town of 10,000 defense. With no magic.  IMO, pops shouldn’t have gotten tougher, magic should have been reduced? But idk going to play it out and see. :Smile 

same with bounty it’s reduced potency isn’t changing anything since it can start being used by T4 with a good magic kingdom, and will still make as much food as before, just a little longer to make it.  The real solution should have been to make it a P8 or P9 spell and let it keep what it did before.  It would be the reward for researching to that lvl. And a P8/9 most likely wouldn’t be firing it every turn as they would be needed for other things.  Imo
(01-01-2021, 09:36 AM)PTRILEY Wrote:

At those multipliers, if I’m doing it right Rick said average 3X1 attack to defense rating? If this is correct my TY would need 8 plus brigades he starts with to just have a chance to take a normal town of 10,000 defense. With no magic.  IMO, pops shouldn’t have gotten tougher, magic should have been reduced? But idk going to play it out and see. :Smile 

same with bounty it’s reduced potency isn’t changing anything since it can start being used by T4 with a good magic kingdom, and will still make as much food as before, just a little longer to make it.  The real solution should have been to make it a P8 or P9 spell and let it keep what it did before.  It would be the reward for researching to that lvl. And a P8/9 most likely wouldn’t be firing it every turn as they would be needed for other things.  Imo

With unfortified villages, towns and even cities, the damage divider is still only 1.5, I think.  So, the really tough PCs are only those that have forts, castles, citadels, great and legendary castles.  If the PC is unfortified, its not much different than it used to be.  Two brigades of elite rangers, for example, are taking a regular town (although, there is a power 5 in there for presence and either valor or wind, and multiple warlords.)

Bottom line I think is that if you have good defense, you can still go 2:1 against an unfortified PC.