Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maelstrom 2.0 Military Changes
Here is some of what is under consideration for the next release, all obviously in draft form, just ideas. 
Main thing - see if you think anything is too overpowered or on the other hand is useless.  Or if anything doesn't add to the game.

Surprise Charge Tactic.  Add a charge phase as 1st, skip LRM, SRM 50%.  Requires Marshal and Riders.   Enemy has no early charge phase.  If early charge phase, then no regular charge phase.  Thwarted by enemy Warlord, becomes standard attack.

Sustained Missile Barrage.   By maneuver, there is a second SRM phase.  Must have Elite kingdom named brigade.   Thwarted by Frontal Assault or Surprise Charge – becomes Standard Attack.

Encircle.  Requires Flanking ability and 4 Veteran brigades that can provide flanking (Trait, Flying, companions that allow flanking like Centaurs.   Not vs. Flying group (Flying cannot be Encircled)  Retreat is as Determined Attack, if opponent retreats it is Destroyed.

P5 and up Wizards survive as Patrols if in group destroyed and they survived the battle itself.  As Leader with Armor.  BTW, Armor only effects the highest leader, not all leaders and wizards.  Call ability Sixth Sense.

Increase Brigade / Company types allowed to 15.

Brigades cannot have attrition greater than 60% (destroyed).

Mercenary Cavalry.  Can Flank.  Big in Charge Phase and melee, some SRM.  Expensive, can be recruited in plains town or city by Commander+.
Horse Archers.  Inflict 5% additional damage in enemy retreat for each brigade.  Provide Flanking.

Longbowmen.   Elvish like LRM, also short sword and buckler.  Only recruit in a controlled region’s forest town or city. 
Scouts.  Grants Acuity to the group as in the trait – cannot be surprised, becomes Entrenched.

Engineers.  When at controlled PC, can create a brigade of Catapults, Green (one per turn, at cost).   When defending at Tactic 2 or above, can deploy caltrips – enemy charge phase reduced 33%.   A second engineer can produce an additional catapult brigade.  2 per turn is max. Catapults not quite as good as War Machines.  If retreat, War Machines and Catapults are 50% destroyed, 50% captured.  War Machines and Catapults reduce group movement points by 2.

Guards.  Provide L4 counter espionage for the group.  Multiple Guard units do not stack.

War Dogs.  Detect Hidden/Ambushing and give Shimmering result for Invisible.  Requires Empathy trait = Elves, Dark Elves, Druid, Halfling, Cimmerians, Amazons, Atlantians.

Trojan Horse.  Requires Cunning trait, Warlord, and Elite kingdom brigade.  Reduces PC defense by 50%.  Thwarted by PC controlled by kingdom with Cunning or Acuity or by a group of the PC kingdom in the area.  Becomes standard attack.
I would have encircled force enemy to fight until 90% loss then be destroyed. Not be destroyed after 65% or so.

Trojan may be a bit much maybe 25%.
I guess overall the question is do players like these changes?  Obviously, there is development time here, so if it is "meh", I will save the money.
I like the idea's, I like Draugr suggestions. I was thinking certain brigades having a higher attrition rate before being destroyed. Like Bezerkers? Zealots?

I'd like to see Paladin brigades added to Sacred Order companion brigades heal group attrition like Phoenix,
Rick I like all the ideas.
I would like to see brigades gain experience at the same rate whether their Army wins or loses a fight. Experience should be tied to attrition. After all in combat defeat is a bigger motivator to innovation and development.
Live your life, so that when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing Your Death Song And Die Like A Warrior Going Home.
Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief
I like the ideas Rick, but encircle seems overpowered as flanking is already a game changer and there’s no defense at all. I suggest that there is a counter defense order for flanking and encircle so that there is some kind of defense because right now you’re just SOL. Make the defense order worthwhile against both but if neither is ordered then a penalty.
(11-10-2019, 11:01 AM)Acererak Wrote: I like the ideas Rick, but encircle seems overpowered as flanking is already a game changer and there’s no defense at all. I suggest that there is a counter defense order for flanking and encircle  so that there is some kind of defense because right now you’re just SOL. Make the defense order worthwhile against both but if neither is ordered then a penalty.

I agree wholeheartedly here. Something akin to entrenchment where you don't fight at 100% but you also don't get absolutely destroyed via a flank. Maybe require a general (since it isn't a complicated thing to dig in)? 

I also like the paladin healing idea. Adds some of the fantasy flavor back in.
I'd like to see something, anything that is specifically detrimental to dragons in combat. Right now you can't cast flash flood or earthquake against them, they can cast wind storm against pc's and take pcs with huge defensive values and their defense is so strong they take barely any casualties. And of course they have Flank which is devastating and there is no defense against unless you have riders or a warlord. I suggested that Command Tornado be more effective against Dragons for obvious reasons, but can PC's add ballistae or something that are particularly effective against flying attackers?
Wall of fire stops flanking also