Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential new player questions
Hey all,

I'm looking for a PBEM for my dad and me.  Does this game allow friends to join in the same game?  Are there "slow" games where the turns are further apart (the average game is a turn every 3-4 days, right)?  What's Maelstrom vs Amorecia vs the Choosing?  Are they different variations or like expansions or different games?  

If there is an FAQ that is floating around that answers all of these questions, I'd love to see it.

Thanks!
Greetings Spencer and All Visitors,

Alamaze is a 12 player, episodic (as in simultaneously processed turns) turn based game of deep strategy in a fantasy setting.

Turns generally run every 72 hours, but unlike the PBM days, if a turn is due at noon on Tuesday, you have the turn at 12:01 pm on Tuesday, so you don't worry about processing delays.  So "generally" means at most, as if all players indicate "Ready" the turn processes.

Alamaze has won all Game of the Year Awards for this type of game, and has been around since 1986.  Now in its 4th Cycle, Alamaze has a superior order-entry and verification system, all done online.  After you establish your account at http://www.alamaze.co (not .com) with just your name and email, you can try our tutorial. 

You should join the forum separately with the same persona you used to sign up.  Then ask all the questions you like.  You will find our community very friendly and helpful.

You will not be asked for any payment until you join your first "real" game.  Then it's $9.95 for a month, which is a minimum of 10 turns a month, so less than a $1 a turn.

On your questions, every game now is Maelstrom, so that map and those rules, which if you ever knew Alamaze before is mainly a new continent, and now any kingdom can start in any region.  That, along with several hundred individual enhancements.  There are about 100 commands, 100 spells, 80 artifacts, on a world of 13 regions with 12 competing kingdoms.
(07-26-2019, 05:09 PM)Spencer Wrote: Hey all,

I'm looking for a PBEM for my dad and me.  Does this game allow friends to join in the same game?  Are there "slow" games where the turns are further apart (the average game is a turn every 3-4 days, right)?  What's Maelstrom vs Amorecia vs the Choosing?  Are they different variations or like expansions or different games?  

If there is an FAQ that is floating around that answers all of these questions, I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Spencer,

If you enjoy strategy and flexibility, then this PBEM is a great choice.  I started playing Alamaze about 6 months ago.  I have yet to be disappointed.  To answer your questions here goes.  

First on friends, YES, YES, and YES.  There is so much flexibility in games that you can create a duel game with only you and your father, you can even create a 5 person game.  These are limited to a certain number of turns.  Then there are numerous types of games with 12 players.  

Secondly, the average turn is 3 days in most games.  I know you can make them shorter, and I would imagine you can make them longer, I am just unaware of why you would want to.  As it is, I am always waiting for the last player to hit ready or for the 3-day limit to hit as I want my turn results as quickly as possible.  

Maelstrom is the latest and greatest.  I can't imagine going back and playing a Choosing game even though that is what I started with.  Maelstrom added so much flexibility and personalization of each kingdom and region etc that Choosing would seem plain to me. With Maelstrom, you can choose to play the Dark Elves and not be forced to start in Synisvania.  Or you can choose to play the Rangers, and not be forced to start in the middle of the map.  On top of that, you can choose options to customize your kingdom.  Maybe you want an extra wizard or two, or maybe you want more influence or more gold.  You can choose an extra emissary or combat leader, and even choose from some artifacts.  So many options that you can get a focus on how you want to start.  These are so many of the options in Maelstrom that you won't ever miss not playing the Choosing in my opinion.  

This is not your normal type of game with expansions etc.  The Alamaze team is always trying to make the game better and accepts all sorts of input.  That is how Maelstrom came to be what it is.  Think of this as Chess on Steroids.  You pick your Kingdom and the region you will start in. You pick your customizations, and then when the game starts, 12 kingdoms are all vying for domination.  Some games are silent meaning no diplomacy, some allow for allies or Non-Aggression Pacts, some allow for limited diplomacy, and some are purely team games.  

I hope this helps answer your questions.  I think as Rick (Ry Vor) said, one of the best ways to check out the game is to create an account, try the 7 turn tutorial, then try a duel.  All of this is completely free.  Another bonus is you can ask here in the community if anyone is willing to help out or mentor you to help you understand it even quicker.  When I started, one of the top players spent time answering my questions and helping me get a faster start.  Since then, I have had numerous players in the community help me and give me pointers and advice.  I have played with them and against them.  You will find that battling your friends is sometimes more fun than battling just anyone.  

If I can be of assistance in any way, just let me know.  Hopefully, you and your father will try the tutorial and then a duel against each other.  If you do, don't hesitate to private message me on here and I can help you both with questions and answers. You will quickly find that this community is incredibly helpful and people you will look forward to gaming with.  

Ashgar
Ashgar the Bloodthirsty. 

My blood, your blood, what difference does it make!  

Time will tell.................
Hi Spencer, I quote the others enthusiasm. I am the one that directed you here from Reddit. Glad to see you stopped by.