Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATTENTION: Forum Software Update Is Arriving Soon!
It's been a long while since I last dropped by here, and I stopped by just to check on the current status of the forum software. The version in use, here, is a bit out of date, it seems.

So, fair warning! I'll try to upgrade to the latest version sometime either later on, tonight, and barring that, at some point between now and Monday morning.

If there are any objections, now would be a good time to voice them. As with all software upgrades, there is always a chance that something could go wrong. I did perform a back-up of the forum database, just now - just in case.

You OK with me to proceed with this software update, Rick? Or if Mike wants to do it, that works for me.

Afterwards, I will return you to your regularly scheduled Alamaze programming.
Nice to hear from you Maximus.

We usually seem to have a bump in the road with updates  - a few times the forum look gets lost and the art replaced with generic stuff.

Also, the links you added on the banner area at the top have been broken for one reason or another - for example - Rulebook doesn't take a visitor to https://www.alamaze.co/alamaze-community/, etc. 

As you can see, Maximus, we're still around.  How are our brethren in the hobby doing?
(09-15-2018, 06:32 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Nice to hear from you Maximus.

We usually seem to have a bump in the road with updates  - a few times the forum look gets lost and the art replaced with generic stuff.

Yes, sometimes there are issues or problems that occur, when updates to forum software takes place. As for things that impact the looks of the place, I did suggest to you several years back, and on more than one occasion, that you might want to consider paying someone to create a custom theme for your forum. You still might want to consider doing that, as this game and its community of players are a long term interest of yours. I'm no expert on forum theme customization, nor am I a graphics artist, but I have tried to fix things here and there, when made aware of them.

Make a list of what you want changed or fixed, and I'll try to see if I can take care of it, as time and opportunity allows.

(09-15-2018, 06:32 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Also, the links you added on the banner area at the top have been broken for one reason or another - for example - Rulebook doesn't take a visitor to https://www.alamaze.co/alamaze-community/, etc.

The Rulebook link works, but the Commands link doesn't. Links can be changed, and both were previously set to what you wanted them to link to. Provide a list of what links you want, and what you want them to link to, and I'll fix them for you.

(09-15-2018, 06:32 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: As you can see, Maximus, we're still around.  How are our brethren in the hobby doing?

I don't know. I don't really track it, anymore.
Do you want me to try and do the forum version update? Back when you ran vBulletin as your forum software, you encountered problems when forum software wasn't kept up to date, if memory serves me correctly. You had to start the Fall of Rome forum over from scratch. So far, I think that the switch to MyBB forum software had both saved you money, and proven itself to be fairly reliable, all things considered, Rick.

I'll hold off on doing the forum software update, until you give the word. The primary reason to keep forum software up to date has to do with avoiding protential security vulnerabilities that get discovered along the way.