Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Snapshot Feature
I'm still working on the map snaphot stuff btw. Will need some help testing because it's fairly sophisticated now with a decent amount of functionality.

For example, I added the ability to create your own custom note on the map which was a bit tricky technical-wise. Allowing custom notes on the map doesn't seem like very much but so far, all of Alamaze's websites have run from the server (order entry, game queue, Valhalla, etc.). For this, I had to learn how to allow someone to change their own local copy of the map (since it's emailed to the player), record their changes on the server, and have the server email them an updated version of the map.

Custom notes appear in the tooltip popup display and I believe you may have an unlimited number of them in each map area. I also added an animated image of a white flag to symbolize that you have a custom note at the area. Otherwise, after several turns, how will players remember where they placed their notes on the map? Having an animated flag wave at the user will help signify where the note was placed on the map in case they forgot. And it looks cool too!

Another animated image that I added is to signify battles in the turn, either group-vs-group or group-vs-pc. The tooltip display will show who attacked your group/pc and any that you attacked yourself. That actually took a while to find because I had to find an animated graphic that signified battle but not be too obnoxious on the map. You'll see that the one that I'm using looks good.

The third animated image that I added was a snowy background for Ice Age games. Normal games have a white marble background which helps the letters stand out better but Ice Age games will have that extra loving touch added!

Along the bottom portion, I added kingdom info like terrain movement costs, combat bonuses (e.g., Cimmerians get +10% bonus in Forest/Mountains/Sea), and terrain-specific traits (like Lesser Masking if your kingdom has Advantage in the terrain).

I also added a group detail section which shows a brief summary of your kingdom groups regarding its brigades, top leader, wizard levels, and anything special associated with the group (e.g., artifacts). Under that last column, I also display "Flying" if the group acquired one of those flying artifacts to help newer players know that they can issue the fly command rather than move with a 720. Also, under the last and special column is where I'll show the unique Giants that may join your group in a Maelstrom game. So it looks pretty decent.

Another section that I added along the bottom is a listing of pc's that your kingdom gained/lost during the turn. It'll show the map area and pc type (e.g. village) to help players see how successful their kingdom is doing turn-to-turn.

Other than that, I've started incorporating some of those complex rules that I listed earlier in this thread though I left some off in my post because I got tired of typing all of them.

Though, I'm currently working on overlaying a graphic on map areas whenever your kingdom gains control of the region. That way, it'll help visualize how well your conquests are doing in the realm with entire regions under your control. Fog of war will automatically dissipate in the region when you gain control.

Even though I've called this a map snapshot feature of the game, with all of the enhancements that I'm doing so far, it's nearly a fully interactive map for us. Later this year, all I pretty much need to do is to capture the position of the mouse cursor (which currently initiates when to display the tooltip popup display on the map) and allow players to grab control of their groups and move them to generate their actions/orders for the turn. As a map snapshot, I was only going to provide a brief visual aid for the players but adding a lot more detail recently is making the map nearly an interactive map...

So stay tuned, I'll try to finish this fairly soon and send out an invite to help test in a sample game.
Sounds absolutely awesome!
You certainly are going all out is this effort, Mike.  Would you care to guess when Maelstrom will be ready to launch?
(02-18-2018, 08:14 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: You certainly are going all out is this effort, Mike.  Would you care to guess when Maelstrom will be ready to launch?

Mike doesn't even have the design document yet.  I'm hoping to have it to him end of next week.  There is a lot, lot of new concepts and revisions to old ones.

Will probably post separate threads on major modules here after they are ready to pass on to Mike.
I added some samples in the first post of this thread.

First one to show the new bottom portion which displays kingdom move rates and combat considerations. For example, I forgot that the Cimmerians get a combat bonus on the sea and showing that at the bottom of the map will help remind players of kingdom bonuses in certain terrain.

Also, that one has a custom note at area ZG.

Another sample to show what it looks like when your kingdom controls a region. The group detail at bottom of the map shows a brief summary of the five RD groups. As mentioned earlier, in Maelstrom, the group section will also list any Giants or other special companions in your group. Should look cool.

The third sample to show battle animations at various locations of either the RD attacking a pc/group or another kingdom attacking one of the RD's pc/groups.
(02-19-2018, 08:59 AM)unclemike Wrote: I added some samples in the first post of this thread.

First one to show the new bottom portion which displays kingdom move rates and combat considerations. For example, I forgot that the Cimmerians get a combat bonus on the sea and showing that at the bottom of the map will help remind players of kingdom bonuses in certain terrain.

Also, that one has a custom note at area ZG.

Another sample to show what it looks like when your kingdom controls a region. The group detail at bottom of the map shows a brief summary of the five RD groups. As mentioned earlier, in Maelstrom, the group section will also list any Giants or other special companions in your group. Should look cool.

The third sample to show battle animations at various locations of either the RD attacking a pc/group or another kingdom attacking one of the RD's pc/groups.

My first time looking at the snapshots I missed all of the details below the map.  The level of detail is amazing.  Well done!
Pretty awesome, definitely adds another level of helpfulness!