Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Snapshot Feature
Map Snapshot Feature

Post your comments about this upcoming new feature of a turn-by-turn map snapshot of the game. Rather than updating a paper or spreadsheet version of the map, this new feature will provide your kingdom an updated HTML map with every turn. The tooltip popup (just hover your mouse over a map area) posts info about the area regarding terrain, defenses, groups, .etc.

[...Feb 22 started testing with official version...]

See an example here (no fog of war version):
http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/samples/MapSnapshotSample.html (old)
http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/...pshot.html (old)
http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/samples/CI5033R2Snapshot.html (custom note at ZG)
http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/samples/RD5033R23Snapshot.html (RD control regions 5 and 8, group detail section at bottom)
http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/samples/RD5033R11Snapshot.html (battle animations at various locations)

The map is of decent size (4 MB) so may take a couple of seconds to load. Best to view it in full screen mode. My favorite pic is the Legendary Castle!!

Keep in mind that this is still in development but it's close to being finished. However, some graphics have a white background rather than being transparent which hides the terrain and other effects. If anyone is a graphics artist or knows of one, let Rick know and we can have better looking graphics for the game. I did my best in making everything look nice but I'm not a graphics artist.

BTW, team games will automatically share info with their teammates so in a Warlord game where a player controls three kingdoms together, your map snapshot will show the results from all three kingdoms together of all the areas that they uncovered, encounters, pc's, groups, etc.

Once the Resurgent map is done for The Choosing (fairly soon), I'll work on Centauria for Tutorial/Duel games then onto Maelstrom...
Forgot to mention that having a map snapshot also helps players with the terrain. Like at area PR, does anyone know if it's water or land? Now, just hover your mouse over that area and you'll know!
Just found a website that can make white backgrounds transparent for our map!!

Will post an improved map after I convert the images. I can't tell you how many hours that I spent trying to make those pics transparent (tried paint, powerpoint, publisher, css tricks, etc.)...
I'll have an improved map with transparent images (some new pics too) for everyone fairly soon. Combining multiple images however gets fairly crowded in a small area so I'll have to maintain fixed positions for certain things (see the attachment).

After playing around with the code, multiple layering of images on our map looks best when done in this order:

Tool-tip popup layer (6th)
         ^
          |
   Search results and capital symbol layer (5th)
         ^
          |
    Troops layer (4th) [note: only largest group symbol will display]
          ^
           |
   Fortifications layer (3rd)
          ^
           |
    Pop center layer (2nd)
          ^
           |
    Terrain layer (1st)

Take a look at the attachment for a combined image area. I enlarged the display to see the detail but normally, all of those images combined looks a bit crowded.

On another note, I'm running into some issues with the code for this new map feature. For example, for revealing fog of war (represented as a mist covering map areas until explored), should an emissary move or agent mission reveal the map area and dissipate the fog of war mist?

At first, I thought sure, how can an emissary move to an area that's hidden with fog of war so the map area should be revealed wherever an emissary moves to a particular area. Same goes for an agent's covert mission as in how can an agent steal gold or perform an assassination if the destination area is covered with a fog of war.

On the other hand, what if an ally in a Steel game provided the player the wrong map area and by some weird luck, that wrong area happens to have a pc (or hidden pc) that is now revealed on the map! Good fortune for them but not for the other guy.

Without the snapshot map, the kingdom turn report would just say that the emissary or agent attempted something out of range or such without revealing the hidden pc. So no one would be the wiser that something existed at that particular location.

But with the snapshot map revealing things, it may accidentally display more than it should just by dissipating the fog of war mist. So in these kinds of situations of players exchanging info with each other by word-of-mouth, how should the program handle it? Reveal the destination area of a moving emissary or agent's covert target or keep it hidden? Or require players to first recon the area with a 970 or eagle familiar before displaying the map area?

It gets fairly complicated on when the snapshot map should reveal info and when it shouldn't...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can fog of war be lifted but not show a hidden PC? The map should only show what someone could see or figure out from there own turn.
-970 should lift FOG but only reveal hidden PCs unless L4 or higher.
-976 should lift FOG but not show US
-977 should not lift FOG but should put a group on top of the fog
-978 should only lift FOG in squares than a US is found because it cannot have a PC.
-350 should lift FOG if a PC is found or not. But not reveal hidden unless the Emmy is able to stay in the square.
Basically FOG should be lifted as PCs are proven to not/be in the square with exception of hidden PCs.

Would be nice to manually lift FOG and plot PCs/US. Perhaps as a function of the order entre GUI. This is because of word of mouth
As mentioned above, I have to be careful with the snapshot map or it may reveal too much to the players. I haven't been involved in games that much so I'm a little rusty on the rules. Some of the following may seem repetitive but each line below requires code for me to do so let me know if something may be skipped or if missed, added.

When to display a pc image (city, town, village):
- [86] priestess avenging angel vs pc [not vs group] (do not display hidden pc)
- [130] wizard ward pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [135] wizard dome pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [155] wizard meteor strike (do not display hidden pc)
- [211] wizard dire wolf familiar if group ends at pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [350] emissary move to pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [351] emissary gate to pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [455] create sanctuary (displays special image of sanctuary at map location)
- [615] agent poison food at pc [not poison group] (do not display hidden pc)
- [650] create special grove (druid, pirate, nomad, dragons) [no special image for map at this time]
- [691] agent trail group if ends at pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [692] agent learn group morale/attrition if group at pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 735] group travels over pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 732, 735] group ends at pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [727] artifact (or other means) flys group to pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [729] artifact (or other means) teleports group to pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [750] priestess divine pc locations (do not display hidden pc)
- [751] wizard unveil pc locations (do not display hidden pc)
- [794] artifact divine artifact location (if artifact at pc and not in wild)
- [795] priestess divine artifact location (if artifact at pc and not in wild)
- [836, 850, 851, 852] wizard teleports group to pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [855] wizard locate group if group at pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [857] priestess divine military groups if at pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [858] wizard unveil military groups if at pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [882] wizard project image (do not display hidden pc)
- [887] wizard eagle familiar (do not display hidden pc)
- [888] wizard raven familiar (do not display hidden pc)
- [900] agent bribe emissary if at pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [930] agent sabotage pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [933] wizard imp familiar assassinate emissary at pc (do not display hidden pc)
- [940] agent assassinate emissary at pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [941] wizard summon demon at pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [942] wizard summon high demon at pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [945] agent assassinate group leader/wizard if targetted group at pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [290, 950] agent rescue hostage (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [295, 955] agent kidnap emissary (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [960] agent steal artifact if target at pc (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [965] agent steal food/gold (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [966] wizard true seeing (* display hidden pc *)
- [970] agent recon (display hidden pc if L4+ agent)
- [971] agent trail group (display hidden pc if L10+ agent)
- [972] palantir scry (do not display hidden pc)
- [973] crystal of seeing scry (do not display hidden pc)
- [976] agent search for pc (do not display hidden)
- [977] agent search for group if at pc (do not display hidden)
- [979] agent search advanced (do not display hidden)

When to display a fortifications image (mott, fortress, citadel, lesser castle, greater castle, legendary castle):
- [211] wizard dire wolf familiar if group ends at pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [691] agent trail group if ends at pc (display hidden pc/fortifications if L10+ agent)
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 732, 735] group ends at pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [727] artifact (or other means) flys group to pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [729] artifact (or other means) teleports group to pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [836, 850, 851, 852] wizard teleports group to pc (* display hidden pc *)
- [970] agent recon (display hidden pc/fortifications if L4+ agent)
- [971] agent trail group (display hidden pc/fortifications if L10+ agent)
- [972] palantir scry (do not display hidden pc/fortifications)
- [973] crystal of seeing scry (do not display hidden pc/fortifications)
- [977] agent search for group if at pc (do not display hidden pc/fortifications)
- [979] agent search advanced if group at pc (do not display hidden pc/fortifications)

When to display an encounter image (enigma, fine, excellent, superior, quest):
- [211] wizard dire wolf familiar (if group ends at encounter)
- [691] agent trail group (if group ends at encounter)
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 732, 735] if group ends at encounter
- [727] artifact (or other means) flys group to encounter
- [729] artifact (or other means) teleports group to encounter
- [794] artifact divine artifact location (if artifact in wild and not owned by a kingdom)
- [795] priestess divine artifact location (if artifact in wild and not owned by a kingdom)
- [836, 850, 851, 852] wizard teleports group to encounter
- [855] wizard locate group (if group at encounter)
- [857] priestess divine military groups (if group at encounter)
- [858] wizard unveil military groups (if group at encounter)
- [882] wizard project image (if group at encounter)
- [887] wizard eagle familiar
- [888] wizard raven familiar
- [960] agent steal artifact (if target is the wild)
- [966] wizard true seeing
- [970] agent recon
- [971] agent trail group (if group at encounter)
- [972] palantir scry
- [973] crystal of seeing scry
- [977] agent search for group (if group at encounter)
- [978] agent search for encounters
- [979] agent search advanced

When to display group image (patrol, brigade, division, army, army group):
- [86] priestess avenging angel vs group [not vs pc] (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [109] ancient ones divine intervention (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [211] wizard dire wolf familiar (display masked since L4 but not ambushing, invisible)
- [350] emissary move to pc and bounces from non-allied group with group still at location (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [615] agent poison food in group [not poison pc] (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [691] agent trail group (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [692] agent learn group morale/attrition (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 732, 735] group movement (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [727] artifact (or other means) flys group (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [729] artifact (or other means) teleports group (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [794] artifact divine artifact location (if artifact within group and not at pc or wild)
- [795] priestess divine artifact location (if artifact within group and not at pc or wild)
- [836, 850, 851, 852] wizard teleports (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [855] wizard locate group (* displays all masked, ambushing, invisible groups *)
- [857] priestess divine military groups (* displays all masked, ambushing, invisible groups *)
- [858] wizard unveil military groups (* displays all masked, ambushing, invisible groups *)
- [882] wizard project image (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [887] wizard eagle familiar (since L7 display masked but not ambushing, invisible)
- [888] wizard raven familiar (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [942] wizard summon high demon vs group (* since L12 displays all masked, ambushing, invisible groups *)
- [945] agent assassinate group leader/wizard (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [960] agent steal artifact if target is group (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [966] wizard true seeing (* displays all masked, ambushing, invisible groups *)
- [970] agent recon (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [971] agent trail group (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [972] palantir scry (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [973] crystal of seeing scry (do not display masked, ambushing, invisible)
- [977] agent search for group (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [979] agent search advanced (display masked if L4+, ambush L7+, invisible L10+)
- [other] knowledge totem (since L4 display masked but not ambushing, invisible)

When to display search result (no pc) image:
- [211] wizard dire wolf familiar if group ends in wild
- [350] emissary move to wild
- [351] emissary gate to wild
- [455] create sanctuary fails if pc exists at map location
- [650] create special grove (druid, pirate, nomad, dragons) fails if pc exists at map location
- [691] agent trail group if ends in wild
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 735] group travels over areas and no pc was detected
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 732, 735] group ends in wild
- [727] artifact (or other means) flys group to wild
- [729] artifact (or other means) teleports group to wild
- [836, 850, 851, 852] wizard teleports group to wild
- [857] priestess divine military groups if group(s) in wild
- [858] wizard unveil military groups if group(s) in wild
- [882] wizard project image if group in wild
- [930] agent sabotage pc fails if in wild
- [933] wizard imp familiar assassinate emissary fails if in wild
- [940] agent assassinate emissary fails if in wild
- [941] wizard summon demon at pc fails if in wild
- [942] wizard summon high demon at pc fails if in wild
- [945] agent assassinate group leader/wizard if targetted group in wild
- [960] agent steal artifact if target group in wild
- [970] agent recon
- [971] agent trail group if ends in wild
- [972] palantir scry
- [976] agent search for pc
- [977] agent search for group if at group(s) in wild

When to display search result (no encounter/artifact) image:
- [211] wizard dire wolf familiar if group does not end at encounter
- [455] create sanctuary fails if encounter exists at map location
- [650] create special grove (druid, pirate, nomad, dragons) fails if encounter exists at map location
- [691] agent trail group if group does not end at encounter
- [708, 710, 715, 718, 720, 725, 726, 731, 732, 735] group does not end at encounter
- [727] artifact (or other means) flys group and does not end at encounter
- [729] artifact (or other means) teleports group and does not end at encounter
- [836, 850, 851, 852] wizard teleports group and does not end at encounter
- [857] priestess divine military groups if group(s) not at encounter
- [858] wizard unveil military groups if group(s) not at encounter
- [882] wizard project image if group not at encounter
- [945] agent assassinate group leader/wizard if targetted group not at encounter
- [960] agent steal artifact if target group not at encounter
- [970] agent recon
- [971] agent trail group if group does not end at encounter
- [972] palantir scry
- [976] agent search for pc (any pc's found could display no encounter)
- [977] agent search for group if group(s) not at encounter

When to dissipate the fog of war:
- I guess all of the above...

When to diplay capital star image:
- Only your kingdom's capital symbol will be shown every turn. Other capitals will not be carried over into subsequent turns and must be reconned every turn (or your group stationed there) if desired.

What to include in popup tooltip display:
- map area coordinate
- terrain type (plains, etc.)
- regional name (oakendell, etc.)
- [if pc with above rules of when to display pc image] name of pc
- [if pc with above rules of when to display pc image] type of pc (village, town, city)
- [if pc with above rules of when to display fortifications image] fortifications if group ends movement there (but not traveling over pc)
- [if pc with above rules of when to display fortifications image] fortifications if wizard eagle/raven
- [if pc with above rules of when to display pc image] pc defense rating
- [if pc with above rules of when to display pc image] owner (human, neutral, kingdom)
- [if pc with above rules of when to display pc image] groups and sizes (additionally based on above rules of when to display group image and size so need to check if agent is L4+ for mask, etc.)
- [if encounter with above rules of when to display encounter image] guardian type (fine, excellent, etc.)

The above is alot of work and overly complicated. Heck, it took me several hours just to write all of this down in going over the rules in enough of detail to make sure that I didn't leave anything out.

The tooltip that pops up on the map doubles the amount of work that I have to do in collecting information to display to the user. If it were up to me, I would only reveal map stuff with:

(1) agent recon/search
 (2) group movement
 (3) wizard raven/eagle
 (4) priestess divine
 (5) artifact scry

And not have fog of war while the tooltip only displaying terrain info. If that were the case, I can finish all of this in a couple of weeks and move on...
No comments on the above? It's a monster Smile

This snapshot map concept can be quite complex with all of the implications above but Rick mentioned to keep it simple so I'll have to cut out the majority of what is stated above. Don't know exactly right now but I'll post how it will work when it goes into production for the games.

Here's a new version of the map that shows the latest stuff: http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/...pshot.html

It's my Druid position from game 5033 (turn 1). Since there isn't a concept of fortifications in The Choosing, I randomly threw in some defenses to see how it looks on the map.

Area FF was my hidden capital so check that tooltip popup. I threw in a sanctuary at AD and other things to see how it looks on the map. Will work on accuracy next then fog of war stuff.

BTW, the page actually looks better in Firefox than Chrome. For example, the magical doorway for superior encounters is blurry in Chrome but Edge and Firefox shows some of the image's detail with mystical runes upon the door. Firefox also shows the little windows in the major city image (area CD) better than Chrome.

Anyway, post any last minute suggestions in this thread...
I’m still in the awwwwe factor!! Smile WOW.
I would like the snap shot to show me what I can figure out from my turn. It does not do that with respect to hidden PC or Emmy movements so I will use it as a tool but it will not replace my need for a map or some kind of parcer. I would love to see some kind of updated bananas parcer that I can modify

I already provided a list of suggestion and others do not seem to care so I will leave it at that.

I do think this snap shot will be a great player aid and a good step to not needing an extra map to play the game.
What a leap ahead this is Uncle Mike.  The detail and graphics are very good.  I do have Firefox and it looks great.  Thanks for all of the hours of work you have put into this.