Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Maelstrom Map
I think Zamora will be a really tough zone to start in.
(05-21-2017, 08:36 AM)Calidor Wrote: I think Zamora will be a really tough zone to start in.

I think you are right.
(05-20-2017, 09:17 AM)Calidor Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: So to zoom in a bit, what do you think of Zanthia?  The possibilities, the kingdoms.

Is it possible to restrict movement through mountains by the size of your group? So that certain mountain spaces are actually impassible with an Army or Army Group unless you are a kingdom with a certain trait (like Dwarves)? I think you could even take this a bit further and have attrition given for certain places. Traveling through the "Haunted Forest" might cause X% attrition per space unless you had a particular trait...

More thought on this... would it be possible to have both Kingdom traits and traits granted by the starting location? So if you start out in a certain zone you will have benefits in Mountains. If you start out in a mainly water zone you will have naval bonuses?
Sounds complicated but having some positional variation depending on your starting region would be nice. That would help compensate for the regional, terrain specific kingdoms, like DW, PI, NO, EL. Makes sense that you would make adaptations to your empire to accommodate the region you reside in. As I have been playing a very short time I am still exited about the current game map and potential playing the Classic map with random cities as Mike had suggested. I do love the new map though and look forward to the possibilities it offers. I will spend some time looking it over and share any region specifics comments, if I have anything of value. I also like the idea of different levels of Cities and terrain areas that further limit mobility. Thought he teleporters wont be much bothered by it. Today is my wedding anniversary so I guess it works out to spend time with my wife today so it may be a few days before I can sturdy it. First impression looks like navies may be a little more important, thought they probably are very important now and I just haven't learned that yet.
(05-20-2017, 06:07 AM)Wookie Panz Wrote: Are we going to keep the same game types?  There are so many ways you could go with this.  Some of us have been really enjoying the Primeval games and most seem to want the games to go longer.  I'm probably using the wrong thread for this but it seems to fit in with future game development.
I'll join the rest and say how much I like the new map.  It sure will be fun to play with.

I've noticed the recent popularity of Primeval.  I have a nice relationship with Ralf and am considering asking him to divide the Kingdoms of Arcania Arda map into four pieces to provide four new Primeval maps.
I like that idea.
(05-21-2017, 08:36 AM)Calidor Wrote: I think Zamora will be a really tough zone to start in.

Really?  I think my first game in I would request it.  Yes, you have a sea dividing your region, but embrace that and enjoy having a powerful major port city in Python Cove.  Port cities are going to be big. 

Everyone right now is working with just the base of Maelstrom which is the gorgeous map, and the implications now of 12 regions, with only 8 known major cities.  Would you want a region like Mythgar with no known city, i.e., no obvious target?  New things to think about that we didn't deal with before.
How about The Sword Coast.  Clearly good for lots of kingdoms like Elves and Lizardmen.  Lots of range, you have sea access.  But you'll probably be on your tippie toes. 

Hopefully we have nothing as vulnerable as Amberland or Arcania here.   But each region now has its own brand new issues.
(05-21-2017, 02:15 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:

Really?  I think my first game in I would request it.  Yes, you have a sea dividing your region, but embrace that and enjoy having a powerful major port city in Python Cove.  Port cities are going to be big. 

Everyone right now is working with just the base of Maelstrom which is the gorgeous map, and the implications now of 12 regions, with only 8 known major cities.  Would you want a region like Mythgar with no known city, i.e., no obvious target?  New things to think about that we didn't deal with before.

I'd have to see how Port Cities played out I guess. To me, you have 3 different smallish land masses divided by 8 spaces of ocean. If I were Krynn I'd probably just routinely try to annex that desert section right off the bat.

Mythgar has it's own challenges but honestly not having a city isn't necessarily a turnoff to me but again, we need to see how these new cities play in game.
No. the point of my question was whether you'd prefer a region wihhout a major city or one with?  Hopefully a difficult choice