Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Maelstrom Map
(05-19-2017, 10:14 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: There are regions i would not want to be stuck with while playing elves and same with dwarves. Will we be able to choose which regions we start in? Will that be an option?

Open for discussion right now.  I'm sort of leaning toward the all options.  Interesting possibility is you choose in a draft or first come first served either a region (zone) or a kingdom.   Then when it comes back around to you, you pick the other.  So you might pick The Crown Islands first round, and hope to fill it in with The Pirates the second round. Meanwhile, someone else picked the Necromancer in round 1 and took whatever region remained in round 2.

Or a simpler way would be just to claim both region and kingdom.
I guess I am slightly obsessed, but I would hope you guys could show this Maelstrom map to your buddies and say, yes, I play a game on this map, where there are 12 kingdoms competing for dominance and I control one of them.
So to zoom in a bit, what do you think of Zanthia?  The possibilities, the kingdoms.
Zanthia at first glance you see only mountains and plains. You think it would be very hard for any non-dwarf to get anything done. But looking closer you realize you can actually travel very easy from one end to the other once inside the region and the mountains more likely act as a buffer between you and would be intruders from a few other regions. Likely kingdoms rely on cavalry would want to avoid the mountains so again if your not playing cavalry this could be a bonus as it perhaps makes other regions more preferred targets. Infantry based kingdoms will fight the best in the mountains this includes those that can summon undead. No forests may not agree with kingdoms that have siege engineering as they can not easily get there siege weapons. Another plus to mountains is great gold generated by the PCs located in them. The biggest draw back is no coastal lands limits your ability to generate extra gold via merchant transaction
But you could trade a town to someone in any of the neighboring 5 regions to make a fleet. And , there are 3 other cities nearby that look tempting. But i did also notice the mountain ranges on each side are a natural barrier to enemy troop movements. Even if not Dwarf, you can protect your mountain PC's with emms and place an army on the north and south approaches to protect your lands and city and to be able to react quickly in any direction.
Are we going to keep the same game types?  There are so many ways you could go with this.  Some of us have been really enjoying the Primeval games and most seem to want the games to go longer.  I'm probably using the wrong thread for this but it seems to fit in with future game development.
I'll join the rest and say how much I like the new map.  It sure will be fun to play with.
Great map design. In the current 3rd cycle you know your neighbors are one of two kingdoms on any border and typically, when game starts you know exactly who your neighbors are, so you form your strategy accordingly. But if you played that kingdom before, what's changed except perhaps who's playing the neighbors? I think not knowing who borders you will create a little caution in game play. Imagine playing the BL only to find the RD and RA are your neighbors or any combination.

On a separate subject, remember in 2nd Cycle when you had natural enemies? I kind of like that aspect where you suffered something if your natural enemy rose in stature. I wasn't part of the beta experience before 3rd Cycle came out so someone tell me the argument for removing this aspect of the game?
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: So to zoom in a bit, what do you think of Zanthia?  The possibilities, the kingdoms.

Is it possible to restrict movement through mountains by the size of your group? So that certain mountain spaces are actually impassible with an Army or Army Group unless you are a kingdom with a certain trait (like Dwarves)? I think you could even take this a bit further and have attrition given for certain places. Traveling through the "Haunted Forest" might cause X% attrition per space unless you had a particular trait...
(05-20-2017, 09:17 AM)Calidor Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: So to zoom in a bit, what do you think of Zanthia?  The possibilities, the kingdoms.

Is it possible to restrict movement through mountains by the size of your group?  So that certain mountain spaces are actually impassible with an Army or Army Group unless you are a kingdom with a certain trait (like Dwarves)?  I think you could even take this a bit further and have attrition given for certain places.   Traveling through the "Haunted Forest" might cause X% attrition per space unless you had a particular trait...

Like that idea...

Separate thought: I never understood why all kingdoms have ships somewhere. If you look around, there are countries that are landlocked that don't have ships in any sea. Anyone ever heard of a Czech or Austrian navy? Maybe landlocked kingdoms should not have the ships, but maybe they have a wandering trading caravan....to compensate for the merchant attribute of fleets. Just a thought...most of the time I send my ships to trading or just get rid of them altogether. After all, you can control a region without controlling the seas in them, especially if you have a strong diplo corp.
(05-20-2017, 11:19 AM)Mad Hatter Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 09:17 AM)Calidor Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: So to zoom in a bit, what do you think of Zanthia?  The possibilities, the kingdoms.

Is it possible to restrict movement through mountains by the size of your group?  So that certain mountain spaces are actually impassible with an Army or Army Group unless you are a kingdom with a certain trait (like Dwarves)?  I think you could even take this a bit further and have attrition given for certain places.   Traveling through the "Haunted Forest" might cause X% attrition per space unless you had a particular trait...

Like that idea...

Separate thought: I never understood why all kingdoms have ships somewhere. If you look around, there are countries that are landlocked that don't have ships in any sea. Anyone ever heard of a Czech or Austrian navy? Maybe landlocked kingdoms should not have the ships, but maybe they have a wandering trading caravan....to compensate for the merchant attribute of fleets. Just a thought...most of the time I send my ships to trading or just get rid of them altogether. After all, you can control a region without controlling the seas in them, especially if you have a strong diplo corp.

Most of that is how a game is built, so the uncertainty of terrain of the capital and other PC's when they are seeded, the nature in 3rd Cycle of dispersed kingdoms, and the need to move the first group if it is in sea.  In that environment, to not start with fleets means the main group cannot move.