Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Maelstrom Map
Maelstrom!

See the map.  Hope you like it as much as I do both aesthetically and the strategic implications.

Once you load it you can use the horizontal and vertical scroll bars and zoom to move around. I'm pretty proud of this map, again, kudos to Ralf for all the aesthetics.

I expect some controversy, like how Bronze Canyon is near Storm Gate. But also consider the four regions without the major cities will have minor cities that are not the target the major cities have.

Is there a region you really want to start in or really wouldn't want to? I guess maybe the Untamed Lands looks promising on first glance, but they don't have sea access and there are a few other aspects that come into play.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I just can't stop staring at it (The beautiful Maelstrom map).

Another thought: would it be crazy to allow any kingdom to be in any of the 12 regions?  Instead of saying the Dwarves can be in these (say) 3 regions, an insane player could pick them in a forested region.  So we would have the 12 regions that each could have any of maybe 40 kingdoms in any of them.  I must be nuts.
Yes it looks awesome. Yes have any kingdom in any map, the more options the better. The same with mages level caps being removed, it will create an incentive for people to experiment and not destroy game balance, I promise. Like that dwarf in the Forrest's having a P8 wizard in his army group. Look at what spells he gets for what it cost.
(05-19-2017, 02:10 PM)RELLGAR Wrote: Yes it looks awesome.  Yes have any kingdom in any map, the more options the better. The same with mages level caps being removed, it will create an incentive for people to experiment and not destroy game balance, I promise. Like that dwarf in the Forrest's having a P8 wizard in his army group. Look at what spells he gets for what it cost.

I get it Rellgar.  But I don't know about a P9 Dwarven wizard.  So we will loosen up the power limit, change who gets what spells.  Valid point made earlier on the regional effects not differentiated. 

Its always a question of how much to do verses how quick to get it out.  And we lose some players who just don't want change.  I don't know what to make of that: did I become dumber?  The changes aren't for the better?

Once again, I appreciate our players understanding our server issues and being able to find a distraction for a couple weeks hopefully at most, maybe less.
No worries Ry Vor. I love maps too. This one is a beauty so i know how you feel. Its a work of art my friend. Nicely done.
(05-19-2017, 02:01 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: I just can't stop staring at it (The beautiful Maelstrom map).

Another thought: would it be crazy to allow any kingdom to be in any of the 12 regions?  Instead of saying the Dwarves can be in these (say) 3 regions, an insane player could pick them in a forested region.  So we would have the 12 regions that each could have any of maybe 40 kingdoms in any of them.  I must be nuts.

Yes, a very beautiful map. I've long thought it would be neat if the after people selected which kingdoms they were playing they were "randomly" placed in their starting region. May require some additional work for dispersed kingdom; but even in current 3rd Cycle it would be a neat twist.
I believe the idea to now have 12 regions is actually one of my favorite parts of this Map and Maelstrom in general. No need for dispersed kingdoms. Pick your kingdom with a random region also sound interesting. Or maybe pick your kingdom as you signup and pick your region in reverse order. Lots of possibilities. Perhaps have no default region for kingdoms so none can really say that is the DWs region.
I say let any region host any kingdom. The variations would then be endless, so no one should complain again. Well maybe some would?
There are regions i would not want to be stuck with while playing elves and same with dwarves. Will we be able to choose which regions we start in? Will that be an option?
(05-19-2017, 10:14 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: There are regions i would not want to be stuck with while playing elves and same with dwarves. Will we be able to choose which regions we start in? Will that be an option?

Many options could/should be available.   Also there are only a few regions you would not want to start as a DW or EL.  But likely your secondary town would start in one you like if your main does not.  You would be only village behind that regions "owner" to start and have the same reaction.  Plus you could get some surprise on your side.   Always options of course starting a fight from the get go is likely not a great plan Smile