Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maelstrom Map
I would love to play this map. Will we be able to pick which region we start in? Will you be introducing new Kingdoms with this map?
(04-19-2017, 01:05 AM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: I would love to play this map. Will we be able to pick which region we start in? Will you be introducing new Kingdoms with this map?

Yes, the question is how many.  In the design notes, there are sketches for about 10, but most of those were for dispersed kingdoms.  The new 12 region map goes the opposite direction without the dispersed kingdoms.

There is commentary on the main Maelstrom thread on this subject.  I don't think we are missing any classic fantasy kingdoms at this point.  A few possibilities:

Lycans.  Werewolves are the characters, Wolfmen the main brigade type with maybe 2 brigades of Werewolves.  Resistant to everything.  Cannot kill Werewolf character by spell, combat or assassination without magical weapon.  Were rats, wolves companions.  Foreknowledge of three US of Vampires.  Vampires fly, immune to all except magic weapon.  Like Demon Princes.  If control two Vampires, gain a vampire serf (whatever the name is)  brigade that flies.  Gain a second brigade if control 3+ Vampires.  Or one with each Vampire as the Vampire is recovered.  Vampire can change the allegiance to the Lycans of an emissary or character that is not warded or guarded.  (cool)  Vampires are at -33% vs. Devout kingdoms.  Gain 1 influence for each Vampire character controlled.

Magic is mastery.  Strong, cheap military, inferior court except for Vampire characters, superior agents and fanatics.  Low influence, perhaps high Rulership.  Hidden capital that upon relocation the Lycans inscribe a Glyph of Non-Detection.  They can inscribe on any held PC given a P3+.
Riders trait.  Cause Fear.  Cheap companions.  Fast movement.  Does not require Causus Belli if we do that.  Cannot be on high council.  Gains 20% in combat (instead of 10%) against declared enemies.

The Giant Ants.  This is probably thei weirdest kingdom I've come up with.  Can burrow, surprise, climb walls, reproduce, no magic, but special abilities. Not effected by magic except Fire (Firestrike, Wall of Flame).  Need high Rulership, low influence.   Have Forethought, Devout.  Red ants, black ants, fire ants.  No diplomacy, no allies, cannot be on HC or effected by HC.   Secretive, dispersed.  Six villages in different regions, one town capital with very high numbers.  Recruit ants instead of men.  Population and defense of all PC’s increase 10% per turn.  Population becomes ants after three turns.  Conquering a PC that is not ant population provides 100% of population in food.   Companions Wasps and Spiders, Scorpions.  Different ant types: Red ants strongest but cannot swim, black ants fight and also work – build improvements, tear down improvements.  Yellow ants can swim, stay underwater.  Flying Ants.    Burrowing, climbing, toughness, determination gives them +25% vs. PC’s.  Must build mounds to recruit.  Mounds can be destroyed.

Both the Giant Ants and Lycans are very complicated kingdoms with tons of special rules, so may not be worth the effort.

Easier ones would be like:

Dark Hills Dwarves might have one higher level magic, more covert and less military.

Sea Elves and go less political, more covert and adventurer, naval power with abilities.

The Pharohs.  Egyptian like culture.  Tremendous builders, can build structures that provide influence and status points.  Disciplined army with chariots.  Devout, military tradition, sages, engineers, fanatics, charismatic, rich.  Advantaged magically despite Devout.
Actually those two kingdoms won't be that tough to code. Just the vampire feature of adding troops to the group would be an issue if it's automatically done. Would be better if you made it an order like 560/565. It's not worth it to make it automatic because then the code would have to check everywhere to add/remove troops (e.g., after a vampire is killed in combat, after transfers, .etc.) which is too complex especially for the player. I can already see emails to support: I thought my group would have an extra brigade at that time, what gives?

If you want my opinion, I say go big with Maelstrom. Don't make it a minor release with little improvements. I would rather have complex but well thought out kingdoms than a bunch of cheap add-ons that aren't interesting at all.

Like my suggestion for an Elementalist kingdom to replace both the Sorcerer and Warlock kingdoms (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...5#pid43965). Having three distinctive wizard kingdoms of Necromancer, Illusionist, and Elementalist would be nice. Same for the other kingdom types (military, covert, political), make them unique and flavorful or don't bother.

No rush to get Maelstrom out but do a decent job. To answer your question of how many kingdoms to replace, I would replace all of them! That would make Maelstrom that much more distinctive and exciting to play while still allowing The Choosing to be played. That's one of the issues between 2nd and 3rd Cycle versions. Not enough of a difference between them so people aren't clamoring to play a 2nd Cycle game anymore despite a lot of effort that went into its development.
"Do a decent job."  Mike, that hurts!   Tongue 

Mike has been campaigning for lots of new kingdoms for quite awhile.  I've really been spending time on other matters: generally enhancements to all the aspects of play.

So we can get some opinion at this stage.  Are you sick of the Warlock, Elves, Dwarves, etc., and want new (what exactly) kingdoms to replace them?
(04-19-2017, 02:49 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: "Do a decent job."  Mike, that hurts!   Tongue 

Mike has been campaigning for lots of new kingdoms for quite awhile.  I've really been spending time on other matters: generally enhancements to all the aspects of play.

So we can get some opinion at this stage.  Are you sick of the Warlock, Elves, Dwarves, etc., and want new (what exactly) kingdoms to replace them?

How about Mongols?  They would be similar to Nomads.  Supremacy in plains, disadvantaged in sea.  Disadvantaged in magic.
Possible traits:  Acuity, Adventurers, Archers, Heroic, Military tradition, Trackers, Riders, Ruthless, perhaps siege eng.

Special trait - Mare's blood -  mounted type units can go without food at only 50% penalty by drinking their horses blood. (they really did this).
I like all of your kingdoms. So I'm good using all the existing kingdoms with the new maps or trading a few out for new ones, or trading them all out. What I'd like to see is more customization of spells. I'd like to see more spells that are kingdom and/or trait specific (only that kingdom or kingdoms with a specific trait can cast them).

A few quick examples with just the spell outcome info:
Entangle (DU Spell) - When cast, the following turn, all non-DU and non-allied groups that begin their turn in the same region where this spell was cast only have 16 movement points available to them that turn (effected groups will receive a note indicating their movement has been so effected).

Rot (NE Spell) - Cast on a declared enemy's PC within a range of 4. The following turn, the PCs defensive value is permanently reduced by 20%, census population is permanently reduced by 10%, and the PC's food production is changed to -5000 and gold production is changed to 0 (just for that one turn). A PC can only be effected by one Rot spell per turn.

Blackout Storms (WA Spell) - When cast, the region the wizard is in prevents all teleport spells from functioning both in and out of the region, prevents all 710 and 715 orders from functioning, prevents all 727 orders from functioning, and all groups that have at least 1 flying brigade in them take -5% to morale and -10% attrition.

Train Troops (Military Tradition trait Spell) - When cast 3 green brigades are advanced to Regular level OR 2 regular brigades are advanced to Veteran level OR 1 Veteran brigade is advanced to Elite level at a set cost of 5000 food and 5000 gold. Group must be at a kingdom-controlled City (or a city controlled by a kingdom that has declared you an ally).
I would love to play a second cycle game, but not sure what rules I would have to remember or unlearn.
Would it be possible to have Kingdoms with hereditary enemies and allies?
(04-19-2017, 01:30 PM)unclemike Wrote: If you want my opinion, I say go big with Maelstrom. Don't make it a minor release with little improvements. I would rather have complex but well thought out kingdoms than a bunch of cheap add-ons that aren't interesting at all.

This one caught my eye for two reasons. One, because here you have the one doing the programming in favor of "go big." And two, because of something that Rick McDowell wrote a long time ago in an article about PBM game design - specifically where he said, "...all things other than design being equal, the more sophisticated design should enjoy a more loyal customer base."

SOURCE: http://web.archive.org/web/2008051410534...e15.html#6
Hey Ry, was catching up on threads. Did u mentally take this attached map from Dragonlance ( world of Krynn) Smile)) I used to play all the old games, and names sure look familiar!! Lol