Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maelstrom Map
Here is the first map for Maelstrom (other maps may follow after a season or so). 

The aesthetics will improve after I get my draft back from Ralf in Germany.  The software is fairly complicated and I am having some conflicts with layers and sheet effects.  So it will be spruced up a bit.

I am hoping this map will have quite a different feel and generate new strategies, as well as providing flexibility to place kingdoms in different regions.  Also, the corners should not be as advantageous, and I don't think we'll have the exposure that Amberland and Arcania have in Resurgent.

Regions are not as boxy and the shape has implications and should add to strategy.  Regions are of different sizes, so smaller ones may be easier to control but produce fewer resources, and vice versa for larger ones.  Almost all regions have at least three bordering regions.

Eight major fixed cities in the 12 regions.  Each kingdom has a capital in a separate region.  The other four regions have minor cities that will move from game to game like towns.  Should also have strategic implications.  There are also four mythical cities that are hidden.  Each of those can be in one of three regions, so each region has a 33% chance of a mythical city of Troy, Avalon or Atlantis.

So, comment on what you see strategically.  Any region that looks too strong or too vulnerable?

The resolution in final edition will be a lot clearer.  So again, not so much on aesthetics for comments, just on strategic implications.  Maybe you think a particular kingdom would be outstanding in a given region.  Maybe you think one region is screwed.

Attached Files
.docx   Maelstrom2.docx (Size: 341.64 KB / Downloads: 86)
Overall, I like the map design a lot! 

I think it is a well thought out map that should offer some really interesting strategic changes from what we have now.

I think it is more balanced than our current map.

Here are my strategic observations:

The Diamond Coast  and Untamed Lands look superior defensively. 

It would be interesting if these regions were split in half by seas or by mountains making them harder to defend.

It might also be interesting if Pellmore and Triumvia only bordered each other by sea.
(04-16-2017, 05:27 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Here is the first map for Maelstrom (other maps may follow after a season or so). 

The aesthetics will improve after I get my draft back from Ralf in Germany.  The software is fairly complicated and I am having some conflicts with layers and sheet effects.  So it will be spruced up a bit.

I am hoping this map will have quite a different feel and generate new strategies, as well as providing flexibility to place kingdoms in different regions.  Also, the corners should not be as advantageous, and I don't think we'll have the exposure that Amberland and Arcania have in Resurgent.

Regions are not as boxy and the shape has implications and should add to strategy.  Regions are of different sizes, so smaller ones may be easier to control but produce fewer resources, and vice versa for larger ones.  Almost all regions have at least three bordering regions.

Eight major fixed cities in the 12 regions.  Each kingdom has a capital in a separate region.  The other four regions have minor cities that will move from game to game like towns.  Should also have strategic implications.  There are also four mythical cities that are hidden.  Each of those can be in one of three regions, so each region has a 33% chance of a mythical city of Troy, Avalon or Atlantis.

So, comment on what you see strategically.  Any region that looks too strong or too vulnerable?

The Word doc is also attached as it is zoomed in whereas the jpeg file is smaller and blurry.  The resolution in final edition will be a lot clearer.  So again, not so much on aesthetics for comments, just on strategic implications.  Maybe you think a particular kingdom would be outstanding in a given region.  Maybe you think one region is screwed.
I see a lot of good things.  It is very diverse, and attractive.  You have lots of terrain for different race types and several areas that require naval movement to get to the whole area.
First observations are the Pellnor could be very hard to defend with 6 areas adjacent.  Diamond would be easy to defend with only two adjacent areas but potentially harder to expand from for the same reason.
Zanthia is favorable to a DW or GN type that is advantaged in mountains.
Attached is a screen shot of around the center of the map, just so no one dispairs on resolution, and the final version will be better.  At least here you can read the text names.  Again, the main thing is how the regions are laid out and the terrain mix.

I can see a kingdom like the Dwarves in at least six different regions.

Attached Files
.docx   map screen shot.docx (Size: 1.94 MB / Downloads: 35)
Very excited to try the new map and new scenario.
Ditto. Any ETA as of yet when we think we might alpha or beta test?
I haven't gotten any final design docs to Mike.  He's fast, but he's also been busy.

I think we can have the map coded soon.  I asked Ralf to give me the grid labels quickly, then he'll finish the rest in May.  But if I get the grid and setup the terrain etc. for Mike, we might do a The Choosing game on the new map in May.  Maelstrom is probably a couple months off.
So the map looks amazing!

Here are just a few reflections neither good or bad. There are 3 regions that have no access to any sea. There is only 1 region that has access to 2 bodies of water. Of the 8 displayed cities there is clear favoritism for Mountains and Plains (3 each). Only one city in Swamp and one city is Forest. There are no Desert cities. So kingdoms with terrain bonuses in Plains and/or Mountains will have an advantage since cities are combat magnets. Hoping that the minor/mythical cities help balance out the terrain diversity.
Good observation IT but there are 2 regions with access to 2 seas, they are KRYNN and NTVARIA. 3 Regions have no access to water. This is what i have. ! indicates superiority or the least in this area in comparison to other regions just to bring it to your attention. * notates a city and what terrain it is in.

THE CROWN ISLANDS- 47 areas- 21 water,12 plains, 6 marsh, 5 forest, 2 mountain, 1 desert. Borders 3 regions.
DAREOVER (DARKOVER?)- 78 areas!- 44 plains!, 20 forest!, 13 mountain, 1 water, *1 city in mountains. Borders 5 regions.
THE DIAMOND COAST- 52 areas- 19 water, 16 plains, 7 desert, 7 marsh, 2 forest, 1 mountain. Borders 2 regions!.
KRYNN- 51 areas- 35 plains, 9 desert, 5 water in 2 seas, 2 mountains, *1 city in plains. Borders 5 regions.
ZANTHIA- 50 areas- 26 mountains!, 24 plains, *1 city in mountains. Borders 4 regions.
TRIUMVIA- 77 areas!- 30 plains, 22 water , 9 marsh, 6 forest, 5 desert, 5 mountain, *1 city in forest.Borders 5 regions.
NTVARIA- 69 areas- 26 plains, 18 mountains, 9 desert, 9 water in 2 seas, 7 forest, *1 city in mountains. Borders 4 regions.
ZAMORA- 43 areas!- 16 plains, 14 desert!, 8 water, 4 forest, 1 mountain, *1 city in plains. Borders 3 regions.
THE SWORD COAST- 55 areas- 24 plains, 15 water, 9 forest, 7 marsh. Borders 5 regions.
PELLINOR- 59 areas- 20 plains, 17 water, 12 forest, 7 marsh, 3 desert, *1 city in plains. Borders 7 regions!.
MYTHBAR- 44 areas!- 26 plains, 11 mountains, 7 marsh. Borders 4 regions. Borders 4 regions.
THE UNTAMED LANDS- 51 areas- 28 plains, 12 mountain, 11 forest, *1 city in forest. Borders 3 regions.

Total terrains available:

Plains- 301
Water- 117
Mountains- 91
Forest- 76
Desert- 48
Marsh- 43

DIAMOND COAST, easiest to defend. PELLINOR is hardest to defend. Current existing kingdoms provide about 6 good regions for water faring nations , Gnomes/Dwarves/Dragons have many potential abodes most notably ZANTHIA, NTVARIA and THE UNTAMED LANDS. Elves and other forest dwellers have one fantastic region in DAREOVER and about 4 other somewhat safe habitats. ZAMORA is ideal place for Nomads but notice the land areas are divided by the sea and without a navy you cannot protect it properly and even then limits you to 12 brigades at a time for sea travel, a risky venture. Plains dwellers should be able to prosper about anywhere but best regions are DAREOVER, KRYNN and UNTAMED LANDS.
Interesting observations so far. 

My intention is first to allow whole new strategies.  Second, those strategies can be even more diverse with a kingdom being able to be situated in different regions.  I think the regions offer their own intrigues,  or at least I hope they do.  For example, I can see lots of different approaches for Krynn.  The Diamond Coast may look good for a fast start, but how easy will it be to get to be a campaign leader?  Darkover and Triumvia are huge, and neighbors.  Implications?  With maybe 8 different possible kingdoms starting in each of them?  

A strategic decision on the focus on seapower will have to be made by almost all kingdoms, except, yes, likely the Dwarves or Gnomes in Zanthia.  

I admit a bit of concern for Pellinor, but maybe a crafty player can figure it out.  I hope though it is not as vulnerable as Arcania or Amberland can be.