Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Specific Design Ideas for Maelstrom
(03-14-2017, 11:19 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 10:23 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: More Initial Forces Available:  Patrols apart from Brigade sized groups

In The Choosing, kingdoms have 4 groups mainly, 5 with Military Tradition, and the Tyrant has six as a special kingdom ability.

For Maelstrom, contemplating:

Kingdoms have 3-5 Forces that are of at least 1 brigade (or Inactive), and have 2-4 Patrol sized Forces (or available), based on kingdom traits and flavor.  Rangers, Amazons, Nomads likely have 4 available patrols, Gnomes and Dwarves maybe 2.  

In itself, this should relieve the transfer headaches.  And again, a new strategic component, but starting leaders are somewhat rare and can you send them up in patrols rather than win an important early battle?

I don't really follow what this is.   Start with much less military?  Have more patrols?   
Or is it basically same number of attacking forces plus some extra patrols that can not get troops?
Yes to last line.  So some kingdoms like wizards might start with 3 groups that can hold brigades, and 2-4 additional groups that can only be Patrol sized or Available (inactive).
So a lot more flexibility for both those Rider patrolling kingdoms and to allow wizards to get in their precious patrols.  The Patrol groups cannot gain reinforcements, recruit or otherwise ever have a brigade, but they can have up to 3 leaders and 3 wizards.  Just all intended to add more flexibility and again more kingdom distinction.  Possibly a kingdom or two might have 0 or only 1 patrol only group provided.  Perhaps an ESO reward is adding a new force, so say from starting 4 groups to increase to 5.
Ah interesting. Would it be permanent patrol only or could they flex to a brigade group as long as they were not currently using all there allotted brigade carriers? I am thinking in terms of phantom brigades. You know how I love my phantom nukers
I do like it though may allow some kingdoms to flirt with the idea of not using a HP
(03-14-2017, 11:51 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Ah interesting.  Would it be permanent patrol only or could they flex to a brigade group as long as they were not currently using all there allotted brigade carriers?   I am thinking in terms of phantom brigades.  You know how I love my phantom nukers

The Patrol brigades would have their own designations to always remain patrols.  So there might be 5AM, and also P1AM. 

I'd like to hear more about exploits (on an appropriate thread) with Phantoms, Zombies, Flash Flood, Wind Storm, Crack the Sky.
(03-14-2017, 11:56 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: I do like it though may allow some kingdoms to flirt with the idea of not using a HP

I have floated the idea of the kingdom trait Skeptics, likely for wizard kingdoms and Order kingdoms, so all HP model commands are 50% more expensive.
Political Model
Regional control moves from 50% to 60% of regional census.  An additional level of regional influence is Tight Control which requires 80% of regional census.
There are now 5 Regional Reactions (instead of 4), the most favorable now being “Loyal”.  A kingdom can only get to Loyal by Enamoring or High Council decree while having Tight Control of that region.   If Tight Control is lost, the Regional Reaction reverts to Friendly.
PC resistance base (before modifiers like maintain status quo effects) is as follows by reaction level:
·        1.0 for Loyal (only possible while having Tight Control)
·        1.5 for Friendly (was 1.0 in The Choosing)
·        2.5 for Tolerant
·        3.5 for Suspicious
·        4.5 for Hostile

Base PC resistance is:
·        1.2 for Village
·        2.5 for Town
·        4.0 for Minor City, including Hidden and Mythical cities
·        5.0 for major cities, the Cities on the map.

Example:  In The Choosing, a city has a base resistance of 4.5, times the regional reaction of a political emissary undertaking Stir Unrest, Incite Rebellion or Usurp Control.  So, in The Choosing, the Resistance of a city to an emissary whose kingdom reaction is Tolerant would be 4.5 x 2 = 9.   In Maelstrom it would be 5.0 x 2.5 = 12.5.  So a Duke of a Ruler with Influence 16 and regional reaction Tolerant in either The Choosing or Maelstrom, would have power 16 x 0.70 = 11.2.  In The Choosing, can Incite a controlled PC most likely   Now in Maelstrom, the Duke would need help in the form of Stir Unrest barring an Enamoring to Friendly with the stiffer PC resistance.

Rulership is a new concept that defines, apart from Influence, how many commands a kingdom may issue in a turn.  Influence determines the political strength of emissaries.   Some cultural traits will change to reflect this new aspect.  This allows a lot more flexibility in kingdom design and game play.  For example, the Tyrant of Gor may now have high Rulership, allowing more orders to be issued per turn, without making their emissaries more powerful.  A kingdom like the Ancient Ones may have high Influence (political power) without also having the side effect of many additional orders available.
Starting Influence likely to be 1 to 2 points lower for most kingdoms.
A Ruler will now have values for Influence and Rulership, each of which are changed independently.
A Ruler who is slain or captured is a Universal Result: reported to all kingdoms like when a region becomes controlled or becomes uncontrolled.
Regional Reports: A Ruler action to Enamor or Denigrate is revealed to all kingdoms who have Minor or greater influence in the region.

Normal emissary range is 6, making it more approximate to patrols without complicating moving emissaries by area.
I like all this stuff. I do see it making it harder on dispersed kingdoms as few will be willing to share any piece of there region. bad or good do not know just a side effect.
One tactic I could see is getting a corner capital and nuking every PC within 6 squares. Or being more crafty nuking every PC within 6 squares outside your regions PCs. Actually sounds kind of fun to try Smile
(03-15-2017, 12:57 AM)Jumpingfist Wrote: One tactic I could see is getting a corner capital and nuking every PC within 6 squares.  Or being more crafty nuking every PC within 6 squares outside your regions PCs.   Actually sounds kind of fun to try Smile

Sick puppy.   Tongue
(03-15-2017, 12:56 AM)Jumpingfist Wrote: I like all this stuff.   I do see it making it harder on dispersed kingdoms as few will be willing to share any piece of there region.  bad or good do not know just a side effect.

You know I am New School.  Breaking down all those old bad habits that lead to bad ends.  So the old, tried and trued "split the region" diplomatic automatics will need to be "rethunk".