Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Specific Design Ideas for Maelstrom
As I get closer to finalizing the Maelstrom design, I might bounce some specific ideas off you.

I plead once again, if I ask your opinion on X, don't volunteer your ideas for V and W: just comment on the idea X.  I'm not soliciting for other new ideas, I'm trying to pare down what I already have.  You might post your idea on a different thread, but I'd like this one to be specific to what is opened by me for discussion.  If this doesn't work on the forum and we get off track, I'll just go with my gut.  Meanwhile, I'm hopeful we will get on target, succinct comments on the ideas as we roll them out.  You can just capture the concept by typing it or cut and paste a piece without quoting the entire post.  (Do New Reply instead of Reply). If we roll out several ideas, you can still go back to the earlier ones by identifying the one you are addressing in the first sentence of your post.
Cities start with a group of 3 Human brigades outside.

I'm wanting to eliminate the reflexive first turn orders to a large extent.  I want the first turn to require more strategy than we have had.  We did some of that with the new High Priestess model in The Choosing, for example.  And we added a Human town and village to each region to slow things down a bit in terms of regional control.

So a city in the west could have 3 Regular trained Westmen brigades in that area at the game beginning, who are always Entrenched. 

There are lots of implications.  No more first turn move 2 or 3 emissaries to the city, or a foe trying to block that move by sending a Baron to that foreign city. 

A chance to gain an early military victory that may increase experience and leadership.

If the Human division retreats, it relocates to the Human town in the region automatically if there is one, otherwise it disbands.

Customization options generally will be increased and modified. For example, with this change, the Onyx Amulet will either increase in cost or not be available.
I like it, I think this will slow the game down and open up many more starting strategies.

With this new npc programming, it could take the place of players dropping. Instead of everything disbanding it stays in place and becomes an NPC kingdom utilizing this new programming. All basic strategies would stay intact and not give another kingdom a unique advantage if it's neighbouring kingdom drops. 

Rellgar
I like the idea. Add a westman brigade to a town or 2 as well while you are at it. Maybe even give them a captain with that division at the city.
are the DE making it to maelstrom?
Seems fair enough. I like that the leave to another human PC if they loose. So nobody gets to use them to much for promotion. Also opens up more people maybe taking an artifact to gate past them. Maybe even make it always a division but it could be between 3-5 brigades so you do not always send the same force. You actually need to scout first or move and see what is there.
Make sure to make them required to be beaten. Entrenched counts as a retreat action. You could just attack the PC.
(03-14-2017, 09:05 PM)Atuan Wrote: are the DE making it to maelstrom?

DE are intended to be a dispersed alternative in Maelstrom.  We may need to infer the Demon Princes require 3 turns to adjust from the Astral Plane before they can Gate starting turn 4.
(03-14-2017, 09:05 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Seems fair enough.   I like that the leave to another human PC if they loose.  So nobody gets to use them to much for promotion.  Also opens up more people maybe taking an artifact to gate past them.  Maybe even make it always a division but it could be between 3-5 brigades so you do not always send the same force.  You actually need to scout first or move and see what is there.
Make sure to make them required to be beaten.  Entrenched counts as a retreat action.  You could just attack the PC.

Entrenchment will likely be revised, but it shouldn't be considered as a retreat (just a defensive tactic) in The Choosing.  So even in The Choosing, a group concerned about invisible opponents could Entrench without forgoing its ability to block emissary relocation or allow a group to bypass them and attack the PC directly.
It will definitely slow things down and offer more initial options including going after someone else's region first (since you have to fight anyway to get a city). Also might start to shift some slight advantage back to the non-military kingdoms who will be better able to deal with the brigades (unless the wizards want to risk their top wizard in the battle). Perhaps whoever defeats the city brigades first, gains a free brigade to that group as a reward (the remaining human soldiers pledge allegiance to your kingdom)? Might encourage some T2 battles between kingdoms at city locations.
Only Fanatics may undertake an assassination mission unless the kingdom has the trait “Killers”, then agents may as well and they may execute hostages of neutral kingdoms (as well as enemies).  Killers get -2 to starting influence.  They also have +15 points to capture fleeing emissaries when conquering a PC.  They generally have Suspicious Regional Reactions outside of their capital and 2nd region town.

I'm looking to add a fun element to the game that has been there but hasn't been used much.  That being Kidnapping, Rescues, Ransom.  So some prohibition about killing prisoners other than declared enemies.  More kidnapping, less assassination.  Then ransom as you can't execute them without Influence loss unless declared enemy, or hold them while they arrange for rescues.  New spell for rescue assistance.  Prisoners always sent to capital.  I think this will be a fun little new component to the game.