Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Maelstrom
I'm thinking the default range for emissaries to be 6 instead of 8.  Even a patrol can only currently cover 25 movement points, why should some Count cover potentially more than 40 as is the case today?  I ask you, Citizens. 

Riders would have range 7, flight 8. 

Generally, both more "realistic" and political blitzes would require more staging. 

In general, I am looking for more of a 40 turn game than a 30 turn game, with more development.  I was originally against that as a designer in the 1980's because players were paying by the turn.  Now we pay for a subscription and for a game start, so players likely are in favor of a bit longer game, with more interesting ways to strategize when haste is not quite as important to winning.
Seems to make sense, but just be sure to factor in the mobility of the kingdom troops. Right now, in some games mobility is a huge edge. I know the Dragons will be gone in the next version but if there are other troops with wide range and you subsequently nerf emissary movement that could really hurt and make troop mobility an even larger edge.
Lookslike that may be a problem for some kingdoms if there capital is more than 6 from the regions city. Puts them at a disadvantage  starting the game. Unless capitals all start within 6 of the city. Then that also has some problems.
New wizard ability possibility:

Madness.  A wizard can cast a spell one power level above his current power in the current turn, but then loses a power level at the end of the turn.  So a Power 2 wizard could cast a Power 3 spell in the current turn, but then at the end of the turn, he would be a Power 1 wizard. 

A very rare but strategic option to save a kingdom or win a game, perhaps?
(02-26-2017, 04:39 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: New wizard ability possibility:

Madness.  A wizard can cast a spell one power level above his current power in the current turn, but then loses a power level at the end of the turn.  So a Power 2 wizard could cast a Power 3 spell in the current turn, but then at the end of the turn, he would be a Power 1 wizard. 

With a % chance to die?
(02-18-2017, 08:45 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: I'm thinking the default range for emissaries to be 6 instead of 8.  Even a patrol can only currently cover 25 movement points, why should some Count cover potentially more than 40 as is the case today?  I ask you, Citizens. 

Generally, both more "realistic" and political blitzes would require more staging. 

In general, I am looking for more of a 40 turn game than a 30 turn game, with more development.  I was originally against that as a designer in the 1980's because players were paying by the turn.  Now we pay for a subscription and for a game start, so players likely are in favor of a bit longer game, with more interesting ways to strategize when haste is not quite as important to winning.

I think the Range 6 would be VERY limiting. I think Range 8 is pretty dead on. You do have Riders trait and Red Elk Mount to extend. As for logic, the much smaller emmy entourage could be assisted by lesser magics, ship travel, and fast moving carriages? And the emmy entourage travels in a direct line from PC A to PC B, while groups are constantly exploring and always having to be prepared for combat plus you have the logistics of organizing potentially tens of thousands of creatures for movement.
(02-26-2017, 05:03 PM)Calidor Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 04:39 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: New wizard ability possibility:

With a % chance to die?

Intriguing. Perhaps at one level above you just lose the one level. But, you could also cast a spell TWO power levels above your current level, lose the level, and have a 50/50 chance of death (with no Healing trait attempt)!

Perhaps Madness is a new Trait and only certain kingdoms get it. Perhaps there are other bonuses/penalties associated with it that involve large risks with potential large rewards or large failure depending on "luck"
Madness seems like a reasonable spell. I would restrict it to not being used for wraith or lich

As for Emmy movement 6 I am not sure this is a good idea unless you also plan to add more PC. I have already had a game with an 8 square limit that I could not move my Emmy back to my adjacent region from the start without 240 or moving into another players PC. This can cause big problems in an anon game. With random PC locations it could actually be possible that you randomly prevent someone from taking there home region. That would be no fun to have to pay for that game.
(02-26-2017, 05:05 PM)IMPERIAL_TARK Wrote:
(02-18-2017, 08:45 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: I'm thinking the default range for emissaries to be 6 instead of 8.  Even a patrol can only currently cover 25 movement points, why should some Count cover potentially more than 40 as is the case today?  I ask you, Citizens. 

I think the Range 6 would be VERY limiting.  I think Range 8 is pretty dead on.  You do have Riders trait and Red Elk Mount to extend.  As for logic, the much smaller emmy entourage could be assisted by lesser magics, ship travel, and fast moving carriages?  And the emmy entourage travels in a direct line from PC A to PC B, while groups are constantly exploring and always having to be prepared for combat plus you have the logistics of organizing potentially tens of thousands of creatures for movement.
Not quite following all that, but another consideration is that agents and political emissaries move like patrols.  IE, plotted movement.
Something to consider would be 2x the PCs each making 1/2 the production. This would slow down taking region and once you own a region harder for others to steal it away. This could also allow for more flexibility of kingdoms starting PCs.