Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Maelstrom
Personally i prefer the 2nd cycle style of brigades.

Infantry                                                                                                                   Cavalry                                                                                                                                                           Archers

300 LIGHT INFANTRY                                                                                               0 LIGHT CAVALRY                                                                                                                                   0 SKIRMISHERS                
600 MEDIUM INFANTRY                                                                                        300 MEDIUM CAVALRY                                                                                                                            200 BOWMEN
200 HEAVY INFANTRY                                                                                              0 HEAVY CAVALRY                                                                                                                              200 EXPERT ARCHERS
200 GUARDS INFANTRY                                                                                        100 ELITE CAVALRY                                                                                                                                   0 HORSE ARCHERS
Priestess: First we lose .2 influence to hire a maiden then we lose another .2 influence to change her to priestess. What is the purpose of the double jeopardy with this emissary? One would think that influence would rise when a kingdom gains a priestess. Can we eliminate one of the influence losses here?
(02-13-2017, 05:51 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: Priestess: First we lose .2 influence to hire a maiden then we lose another .2 influence to change her to priestess. What is the purpose of the double jeopardy with this emissary? One would think that influence would rise when a kingdom gains a priestess. Can we eliminate one of the influence losses here?

In 2nd cycle it was .5 influence loss to hire a HP.   So really we are getting a good deal.
(02-13-2017, 05:51 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: Priestess: First we lose .2 influence to hire a maiden then we lose another .2 influence to change her to priestess. What is the purpose of the double jeopardy with this emissary? One would think that influence would rise when a kingdom gains a priestess. Can we eliminate one of the influence losses here?

Students of fantasy will know many stories of the witch/priestess/sorceress being viewed as a suspicious person that lowers the personal charisma of the ruler to rely upon such a foreign input to his administration. 

In practical Alamaze terms, no one doubts that the high priestess is a valuable asset, or those that do can choose not to hire a maiden and then Test for the Gift.
I would like to request a change in starting capital location of kingdoms to take into consideration the terrain that specifies predominance for its troop types. A kingdom will most likely have its capital where it can best defend it. Also, since starting fleets are provided, why not provide a pc in or on the sea in the same region the capital is at so that a kingdom has a chance to begin enlarging its fleet asap. And why would we be given a fleet in a sea that is 2-3 regions away when there is not much chance of gaining a seaside PC there for quite some time if ever? This is especially true with #711 Trade Mission which is useless without a PC in or on the sea. I would rather begin with one large fleet in a nearby sea than 2 small ones in widely separated seas. How did those ships get there to begin with if there is no port to have built them or launched them?
(02-16-2017, 04:14 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: I would like to request a change in starting capital location of kingdoms to take into consideration the terrain that specifies predominance for its troop types. A kingdom will most likely have its capital where it can best defend it. Also, since starting fleets are provided, why not provide a pc in or on the sea in the same region the capital is at so that a kingdom has a chance to begin enlarging its fleet asap. And why would we be given a fleet in a sea that is 2-3 regions away when there is not much chance of gaining a seaside PC there for quite some time if ever? This is especially true with #711 Trade Mission which is useless without a PC in or on the sea. I would rather begin with one large fleet in a nearby sea than 2 small ones in widely separated seas. How did those ships get there to begin with if there is no port to have built them or launched them?

We've been through that over the years.  They did something like that in North Carolina and with the other old rules it was instant elimination for some kingdoms.  For example, they thought they were doing the Witch King a favor making the capital in the water.  The result was a couple turns later the Witch King had his capital discovered, his fleets all sunk, and with them his wizards.  More examples prevalent.
I've mentioned the new map for Maelstrom will have a large central sea area.  So there won't be a natural central blending point such as Amberland in Resuregent, at least not without some naval effort. 

I'm considering the regions in this central sea area will be considered Temperate, that is, subject to neither winter or summer. 

So on the surface, so to speak, you have a region or three producing on an annual basis at a higher rate (not really 12/9 but an advantage economically), centrally located, but also harder to get to. 

Still didn't feel I got a consensus on launching early with a few thing in or delaying until most of the goodies are available.
(02-10-2017, 02:10 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: Personally i prefer the 2nd cycle style of brigades.

Infantry                                                                                                                   Cavalry                                                                                                                                                           Archers

300 LIGHT INFANTRY                                                                                               0 LIGHT CAVALRY                                                                                                                                   0 SKIRMISHERS                
600 MEDIUM INFANTRY                                                                                        300 MEDIUM CAVALRY                                                                                                                            200 BOWMEN
200 HEAVY INFANTRY                                                                                              0 HEAVY CAVALRY                                                                                                                              200 EXPERT ARCHERS
200 GUARDS INFANTRY                                                                                        100 ELITE CAVALRY                                                                                                                                   0 HORSE ARCHERS

Some did in the North Carolina days.  I just wondered, how many bowmen do the Red Dragons have?   How many medium cavalry do the Trolls have? Trying to fit those unusual brigades into numbers of 12 troop types just was like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.

In 3rd Cycle its not 100% dependent on cavalry for the charge phase as it was in 2nd Cycle.  We do have a few liberties in 3rd Cycle for certain brigades that wouldn't have missile fire to have some small amount abstractly presenting speed or evasion and just how we resolve battles, a group doing nothing in missile phase is off to a big disadvantage.   Maybe we will have resistance to missiles independent of defense.
Since Maelstrom is considered to be advanced Alamaze i cant weigh in on whether to launch and then modify but once i have more games under my belt i would want the game to wait until all the changes are put into place. Any further changes after that can come into place as another version i would think. I like change, just not while im in the middle of a game.
(02-18-2017, 07:52 PM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: Since Maelstrom is considered to be advanced Alamaze i cant weigh in on whether to launch and then modify but once i have more games under my belt i would want the game to wait until all the changes are put into place. Any further changes after that can come into place as another version i would think. I like change, just not while im in the middle of a game.

Well, anything we are discussing here won't effect Choosing games.  It's a question of whether to release a part of Maelstrom to get something new out, or wait, possibly a year, for the whole thing to be ready.

I think The Choosing is still new, but what do you guys think?