Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Duel with Ready Button
If you haven't tried playing a duel game with the ready button yet I highly recommend it.  It is a fast paced addictive adrenaline rush version of Alamaze.

I just finished losing a 3 day 12 turn match of RA vs AM against Jumpingfist and really liked it.   I think this version of the game is a blast.

For my next game I think I will play two Kingdoms with hidden capitols.   JF actually found my capitol on turn 1 and I never located his.  

My paranoia over my capitol led me to move it to a city which he happened to combine his army at on the same turn.

I think the game would have lasted longer if we both had hidden capitols.

If I were to make a suggestion I would introduce 2 more duel specific kingdoms  The Westmen and the Uruk.  I would make them near mirror images of each other to satisfy players looking to battle the TY vs TY.  Balanced influence,  emmies, military and 5 groups.

I would make the defenses on their two capitols equal to 75,000.  Anything less and and the game focus becomes attack the other player's capitol.

Regardless, the ready button is an awesome invention and I am looking forward to my next duel.  I just need to recover from the time I devoted to this one.
The "READY" button rocks. I have already completed two duals since it came out. The first last 12 turns over 3 days and the second 9 turns over 2 days. It really is a lot of fun being able to keep you plan and objectives fresh in your mind.
The faster play does lead to unforced errors but it just part of the action.

I think the ready button excellent for any format but likely best for games with fewer players like confederations, warlords, primeval, Dual
I only lasted until turn 7 in mine against the Red Dragon. He actually had both regions controlled by turn 6. It was not enjoyable at all.
Enjoying my game so far...

but it was curious that we BOTH started concentrated in the same region with our capitals just a few spaces from each other. Seems rather strange and quite chaotic for my first game Smile
I made some assumptions about how to approach the political game thinking my opponent would be suspicious in my region when in fact he was Friendly.

So far I've made a few rookie mistakes but so far I haven't repeated any. Lost my capital on Turn 5 but took his on turn 6!
Currently he is sieging my new capital... but I landed on there with 2 of my groups...

Exciting stuff!
One possible bug...

I had entered all my orders and saved them. I then hit the verify button. I quit and then logged back in... my orders were gone. Not sure if it was due to my verifying after I saved and not saving them again...

UPDATE.. I actually just reproduced it. if you save orders and then verify and logout your orders are gone when you come back in.
Just press the Load Orders button on the Home page. Read how to use the order entry website here: http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...9#pid32189
AHH.. thanks!
As for starting in the same region it is going to happen 50% of the time. Best to scout the cities in your starting region to verify if they have others in them or not.
I think a lot of Duel games probably will be on the short side.  I still think they can be very fun.  Especially with the ready feature.

But once one player starts to gain advantage over the other player he will press the advantage and things will get exponetially worse for the loser.

There is no place to hide on the map and the game will end with both regions controlled so things just end early.

Anyone know what the longest duel game has been?

I would think that two wizard kingdoms with hidden capitols would play the longest game.
(01-10-2017, 11:49 PM)Hawk_ Wrote: I think a lot of Duel games probably will be on the short side.  I still think they can be very fun.  Especially with the ready feature.

But once one player starts to gain advantage over the other player he will press the advantage and things will get exponetially worse for the loser.

There is no place to hide on the map and the game will end with both regions controlled so things just end early.

Anyone know what the longest duel game has been?

I would think that two wizard kingdoms with hidden capitols would play the longest game.

I played the full 18? turns the first time I played against my brother in our free duel. He caught my military twice out in the open and crushed me both times but my wily emmys kept me in it till the game ended when it hit the max turn cap.