Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Wizard Spells
Meteor Strike

I believe this spell to be unreasonably broken due to the fact that 'Ward PC' only prevents one instance of it. Against a kingdom weak in wizards, this spell dominates.

Summon Death

Used against a military kingdom, this spell is insane because it has no reasonable counter. I recently lost 8 brigades against it. Even if I had used my sole wizard to dispel, I still would have lost 6 of those brigades.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

put Sanctuaries down as broken
Dispell does not even work vs summon death it is not a combat spell. You basically need to kill the wizard before it is cast
(08-24-2016, 01:57 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Dispell does not even work vs summon death it is not a combat spell. You basically need to kill the wizard before it is cast

So the only counter is to kill the wizard the turn prior. This is a problem.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(08-24-2016, 02:04 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 01:57 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Dispell does not even work vs summon death it is not a combat spell. You basically need to kill the wizard before it is cast

So the only counter is to kill the wizard the turn prior. This is a problem.

Not the turn prior.  You kill wizard with 96.   Ask Atuan he is very familiar with this process Smile
For meteor strike I would disagree. It is more defensible than it was in earlier Alamaze additions. You must be in the same square to cast it and must have at least a brigade so military kingdoms have a much better chance to block by predicting targets and possible even killing the wizards in the group. In ye gold o'l days you could park a 3P8 wizard patrol anywhere in the region and start nuking with no worry of a military group even hurting you unless they had mages. For countering. All kingdoms can now have up to 5 wizards at all times after turn 10. And most all kingdoms get ward PC by level 4 or so. Ward PC can be from any where in the region so you can actually divine a kingdoms groups and likely know where the nukes will go.

Summon death - may be one of the strongest anti military spells a Mage has it always has been. Even with large groups if a wizard gets off 3 spells you have not only lost troops but 45% moral. It is the moral that really does in those very large groups. But this is another one that got weaker not stronger in third cycle. Since you must have a group to cast you can not longer have the three wizard patrol following your main combat group around with no worry of wizard death. I would be in favor of 1st making the spell dispellable and 2nd changing the moral loss to 15% only once per turn. So multi castings only kill troops and not decimate the group. Other than that it really should stay the same good for the Mage able to get themselves in a position to use it.
(08-24-2016, 02:26 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: For meteor strike I would disagree.   It is more defensible than it was in earlier Alamaze additions.   You must be in the same square to cast it and must have at least a brigade so military kingdoms have a much better chance to block by predicting targets and possible even killing the wizards in the group.  In ye gold o'l days you could park a 3P8 wizard patrol anywhere in the region and start nuking with no worry of a military group even hurting you unless they had mages.  For countering.  All kingdoms can now have up to 5 wizards at all times after turn 10.   And most all kingdoms get ward PC by level 4 or so.  Ward PC can be from any where in the region so you can actually divine a kingdoms groups and likely know where the nukes will go.  

Summon death - may be one of the strongest anti military spells a Mage has it always has been.  Even with large groups if a wizard gets off 3 spells you have not only lost troops but 45% moral.   It is the moral that really does in those very large groups.   But this is another one that got weaker not stronger in third cycle.  Since you must have a group to cast you can not longer have the three wizard patrol following your main combat group around with no worry of wizard death.   I would be in favor of 1st making the spell dispellable and 2nd changing the moral loss to 15% only once per turn.  So multi castings only kill troops and not decimate the group.  Other than that it really should stay the same good for the Mage able to get themselves in a position to use it.

Your suggestions for Summon Death would be very worth doing.

I really messed up Drogo's Elves in 512 with that spell. He attacked me on a 3, but only 1 or 2 brigades were still alive when the battle started. It was ugly and the Elves didn't last long after that.
 Lord Diamond