Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spell lists by kingdom
Is is possible to please post a list of all the spells available in 3rd cycle and what level each kingdom receives that spell at?

This is strategic information that is necessary for all players.  In a short time the players who routinely play in multiple contests will have this information while newer players will always be at a disadvantage.
Lord Thanatos
aka "Thanatos the Terrible"
Isn't discovery by playing better?
(03-20-2016, 02:11 PM)mafmiller Wrote: Isn't discovery by playing better?

Interesting philosophical question.  Somehow today I was googling for something on a competitor, I think it was on the turn cycle for MEPBM (which they won't deny was an Alamaze clone set in ME, at least as Alamaze was in 1995), to see if their turnaround was still one turn every 2 weeks or one every 3 weeks, and it appears to be so.  But in the top five of the search was a forum post by Maximus Dominus in early 2013, whose main point was (nearly a quote), "Rick's games require a lot of numbers, where Hyborian War is more about the feel of the game." So my compliance for more and more info is viewed as a negative by at least part of the population and I feel does take away from the exploration and mystery and takes a bit away from the feel of the game.

Generally, we have published lots of numbers and tables and algorithms and clues after a few months.  The 3rd Cycle official map will have the borders between regions marked, for example.  And we have published brigade ratings by phase, kingdom and companion dossiers, kingdom traits by kingdom, other stuff, all in advance of the first game having its first turn.  So that was an indication of some pretty far reaching flexibility, IMHO.

Meanwhile, I need to get the General Rules, which need a lot of updating, out.  Hopefully before the first turns of 3rd Cycle The Choosing. 

Should be posted elsewhere, but we are still waiting on the drafting and kingdom assignments of two of the games, and we have been asked (more flexibility) not to have Anonymous 2x games on Wed - Saturday, so first turns won't be due until TH at the earliest and no games likely to be created Sunday as we are already at mid afternoon.

Not for the players who sign up after these initial games have begun.

It is the learning curve that suppresses new customer retention.  Every other reason customers don't continue is a far distant second - imho.

You can't truly believe I am one of the players who won't know this information as quickly as possible?  So for every other player to effectively compete they need to know when chaos, invisibility, summon death, meteor strike, wall of fire, etc... is available to their opponents.  I remember when Rick was making 2nd Cycle "friendlier" because players were leaving after having their kingdoms devastated in a single turn.  Information is the best method for combating this; not changing game dynamics.  Again, just my opinion.
Lord Thanatos
(03-20-2016, 02:47 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:

Interesting philosophical question.  Somehow today I was googling for something on a competitor, I think it was on the turn cycle for MEPBM (which they won't deny was an Alamaze clone set in ME, at least as Alamaze was in 1995), to see if their turnaround was still one turn every 2 weeks or one every 3 weeks, and it appears to be so.  But in the top five of the search was a forum post by Maximus Dominus in early 2013, whose main point was (nearly a quote), "Rick's games require a lot of numbers, where Hyborian War is more about the feel of the game."  So my compliance for more and more info is viewed as a negative by at least part of the population and I feel does take away from the exploration and mystery and takes a bit away from the feel of the game.

Generally, we have published lots of numbers and tables and algorithms and clues after a few months.  The 3rd Cycle official map will have the borders between regions marked, for example.  And we have published brigade ratings by phase, kingdom and companion dossiers, kingdom traits by kingdom, other stuff, all in advance of the first game having its first turn.  So that was an indication of some pretty far reaching flexibility, IMHO.

Meanwhile, I need to get the General Rules, which need a lot of updating, out.  Hopefully before the first turns of 3rd Cycle The Choosing. 

Should be posted elsewhere, but we are still waiting on the drafting and kingdom assignments of two of the games, and we have been asked (more flexibility) not to have Anonymous 2x games on Wed - Saturday, so first turns won't be due until TH at the earliest and no games likely to be created Sunday as we are already at mid afternoon.

Eventually one of the players will create the spreadsheet I seek.  I ask only that it be shared.  Having that information in the hands of merely a few is not good.  Hell, eventually I will simply know this information without needing a spreadsheet.  The pioneers in 2nd Cycle are likely to become the pioneers in 3rd.

While you believe there are many players like Maximus Dominus, who want mystery above all else, those are the same players who tend to not continue playing when the mysterious (known to their opponents, of course) wipes out their kingdom.
Lord Thanatos
I am quite sure that you will indeed learn all of these lists soon, LT. That is all the more reason not to have them revealed until several games have been played. At least we can play these first few games hoping to surprise you. Wink
(03-20-2016, 04:09 PM)mafmiller Wrote: I am quite sure that you will indeed learn all of these lists soon, LT. That is all the more reason not to have them revealed until several games have been played. At least we can play these first few games hoping to surprise you. Wink

LOL

I understand your desire.  Smile

The two biggest surprises I can recall:
1) JF controlled region 8 on turn 2 with the DE; and
2) My first ever Titan game Morgan Kane appeared at two of my capitals on turn 2.

I learned from the first that JF talks to everyone in a game, I mean EVERYONE.

I learned from the second that you absolutely MUST move your first group away from your capital on turn 1.

I prefer to be surprised by my fellow gamers using the information we all have to do something unique and/or unexpected.  Those surprises are different from you having information (even information about your own kingdom) that I do not.

I am definitely looking forward to playing The Choosing, as it has been many years in the making.  I can recall years ago talking to Rick about The Tyrant and The Sacred Order before he even reclaimed the rights to Alamaze.  We all benefit from his passion and long-range planning.
Lord Thanatos
I just read through this thread and didn't see where it was in any way negative until. It all looked like friendly debate to me. Perhaps I missed some subtext?

In any case, LT, email me your spell lists and I will email you what I have.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

one could just look for the 2 second betas 502 and 503 and look at the threads, I believe the kingdom set-ups which included spell lists were in each of those threads.

But you didnt that from me Smile