Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standby List
Hahah wow completely wrong word there. Ponder*

But seriously. Do you really think they have not one minute to send out an email with the files. I honestly would say anyone who says that, they are lying.

We all work, everyone has a minute of free time. People email each other when they're at work. Guess what, they email and write on the forums while they're working. So they could send an email with attachments. Don't make excuses for them.

What's involved in providing a standby opportunity?

The dropping of a player and inserting a standby is easier than it used to be with what Mike has done programmatically, but it is not just pressing a button and going back to contemplating your navel. 

The folks that asked for a standby that have not already been awarded one are in the games already that have a standby opportunity, 183 and 187.  That's just one example of what has to be done to get a standby - reviewing the player roster of the existing game.  Then reviewing the position results for viability.  Then reviewing the list of potential standbys on  the forum, cross-indexing with who is already in the game.  Contacting that qualifying player for interest in that position, potentially moving on to candidate two and three and waiting for email responses.  Then when one is identified, re-entering the server, and the software application to replace a player, with the needed information including account number, game number, position to be replaced and executing that process to replace a player within the system.  Removing the original player from that game in the accounting system which is separate.  Then we can access Outlook Express on the correct game server, access one turn at a time, attach to an email after finding the replacement player's email address.  That's probably the closest to the pushing a button part, though even that is not just pushing a button, its a back and forth between applications.  Just for people that want to know how it actually happens: how the standby sausage is made by "they".  I'm probably leaving out a few steps.  Standbys were intended to mitigate early drops - was originally for a drop in the first six turns.  This last recent one was for a team game on turn 27.  In my experience, everything is quipped as "should be easy"; for the people that are not doing it.

Well I take back my 6 simple step response then. Without the information of the process, I doubt all of us would have thought that there was that much involved in the process. Thank you for it though.

(09-19-2015, 01:21 AM)Sinestro Wrote: Well I take back my 6 simple step response then. Without the information of the process, I doubt all of us would have thought that there was that much involved in the process. Thank you for it though.

I appreciate that. 

My incredibly unofficial vote is make it the same as in the past for early drops only
Lord Alz - "Jeff"
Arch Mage of the Ancient Ones

I don't understand this community.
Why is everything an argument?
Ry Vor offers a clear and concise deal. Take up a stand by position and you play free. As part of that, you get three past turns of info.
It's pretty straightforward.

If you don't like the terms of the deal he offers, don't sign up.
But for god's sake, stop whinging that the terms of the free deal aren't generous enough.

Question, if the position is not filled, does the following turn (at the beginning of the turn everything go to human control?

I thought so, but move fast for the Trolls are headden that way.

My vote is that late drops should be able to be replaced as well.

I agree with Dupont, either all can be replaced or none, and this game has one late new player.