Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
covid 19 wash state emergency update
I have to assume you are implicating some higher power in the advent of viruses and such, I don't really have any answer for that, as there really can be no answer.

The why of a virus, or any other organic thing, I gave in a previous post.... the Ultimate and Proximate reasons for any organic thing "ABC" to have any trait or perform any behavior "XYZ".  That's about the best I can offer.  We could speculate about the Proximate reason for the behavior of a virus, but the viruses behavior is so simple I fear it would be quite boring.

About what might and might not be an "accident". People ask me a lot whether I think there is life on other planets, and more amusingly, whether that life has already visited us.

My opinion is there must be life all over the universe, because that is, as it appears to me, how the universe works.  When someone in science class tells us that a single oxygen molecule doesn't exist long in our atmosphere because it always seeks out another oxygen molecule to bond with (its a diatomic molecule O2), we don't question this at all.  But DNA, which is nothing more than a complex molecule, which obeys every physical law we have so far discovered, must have been created by an intelligence.

So, WHY are there these little bastards, and how do they know what to do?

Why are there oxygen molecules, and how do they know how to bond together?  The only difference between your question and mine is that you attribute characteristics to the virus that you do not attribute to the oxygen molecule... to me, its exactly the same question.

How big does the molecule have to get before we just start to reject the natural order of the universe simply on principle... or rather, belief?  

The problem of understanding most of us have is simple, and its a problem I myself sometimes have despite my best efforts.  Belief is the problem.  Most scientists believe things too, its not limited to the God-fearing.  Belief, especially in ones own work, is what makes terrible scientists and in my opinion most of them are terrible.  Objectivity is a lost art when it comes to science, or really, any questions of existence.  When a friend and colleague of mine would ask about how convinced I am of this or that phenomenon, I would always answer, to his amusement "Well I'm fairly certain but I don't just go running around believing in things like the rest of you."

The worst kind of ridiculous people will very often turn this argument around and claim "Well, you believe in science!"  That's barely worth answering, but a good scientist at heart only accepts the "facts" for as long as the evidence makes sense, and are equally as ready to drop any theory which doesn't pan out as they are to forge ahead with the ones that do.  Unfortunately, this behavior runs counter to ones ability to advance a science career.  The government provides the money for science and the people in charge want answers that scientists believe in.

I'm realizing one of the few benefits to being an old fart.  By governors order the grocery stores have to have special hours for senior shopping.  Wifie and I are off to  shop at 6 a.m. in a nearly empty store.  With a little luck they might have even put out a case of t.p. for the seniors.

(03-25-2020, 03:23 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: Today's verse is brought to you by the Ranger Kingdom

The young Ranger Lord spied a raven haired lass,
But his efforts at courting she resisted.

And she said.

"You bumbling young fool, now it just isn't cool.
And you must keep your safe social distance."

Very nice, rhyming distance with resistance at this time.  Sums it up.

(04-04-2020, 01:57 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 03:23 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: Today's verse is brought to you by the Ranger Kingdom

The young Ranger Lord spied a raven haired lass,
But his efforts at courting she resisted.

And she said.

"You bumbling young fool, now it just isn't cool.
And you must keep your safe social distance."

Very nice, rhyming distance with resistance at this time.  Sums it up.

This is an interesting thread.  You never know what will pop up next.  With Covid 19 you never know where it will be next.  Like UN, it's everywhere.

Folks are still trying to figure out this virus stuff.  Its a horse race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m16LBQNUNoY

(05-01-2020, 12:12 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: Folks are still trying to figure out this virus stuff.  Its a horse race.

I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard!   Wink Heart

(05-01-2020, 04:03 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 12:12 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: Folks are still trying to figure out this virus stuff.  Its a horse race.

I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard!   Wink Heart

Oh but I do so enjoy a good laugh.  While this thread is a bit uncommon for Alamaze certainly plagues have been known throughout time.  You even made a spell for it.

There's a saying in chess - the threat is mightier than the execution. I'm starting to think the fear of the Chinese Bat flu might be worse than the disease itself.

(05-01-2020, 10:18 PM)Eregnon Wrote: There's a saying in chess - the threat is mightier than the execution. I'm starting to think the fear of the Chinese Bat flu might be worse than the disease itself.

Indeed.  What is really scary is the amount of power governors are abusing now because the "national emergency" has dumped practically unlimited power on them.

Everyone and everything is temporary in it's current state.