Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burnishing and Brandishing 5562
Victory By Lion's Share Is The Warlock Kingdom!
                           Game End Status Points

Place Kingdom    Player                Results-40  Grand Total

1     WA     Brek                      70,764      97,813
          2     UN     Pine Needle               52,109      75,548
          3     HA     Keeope                    48,109      74,523
          4     DE     uncledarkseid             46,303      71,106
          5     IL     Wookie Panz               47,407      67,160
          6     GN     Rellgar                   37,390      55,939
          7     DU     HabeusCorpus              27,905      54,961
          8     AN     Vball Michael             19,119      36,737
          9     AM     Lord Garth                16,714      34,039

Congratulations to Brek for a win by lion's share with WA.   This was a close race for 2nd by HA and UN who both played their roles well.  Several players fought on well when the chips were down.  My IL fought against Lord Garth and he deserves a well done for hanging in there and continuing to pick off villages until the very end.  I thought I would squeak out control of Triumvia but Garth kept me from it.  Well fought by all.

I hope Brek will chime in as he had this one wire to wire. I was the UN in Zanthia- Halfling in Krynn, Amazon in Triumvia, Druid in Pellinor and Warlock in Sword. My capital was in the far north, so I couldn't mess with the Druid or Warlock that easily. The Halfling was a good trading partner and had a booming economy almost immediately, so all I did with him was bribe a governor and steal an early wild artifact (wand of lightning is a real "meh"). I didn't want to tangle early with the AM, so I looked to Darkover which was easily in range of a red elk agent, and mostly for the rest of them. The DE attacked the Ranger there early, so I kidnapped emis of both, including two Demon Princes and the Ranger King.

Ranger dropped, likely thinking it was 2 on 1, and I offered to share some of the region with the DE. I was going to spice up the offer with a return of his princes, but he rejected it outright and we were at war. I stole the Ring of Spells from the SO in Crown, and he took the DE's offer of cash for my capital and quickly found it. The problem with Darkover and Crown being in agent range from Zanthia meant my capital was in just a couple of squares which SO found right away.

So I unleashed hell on the SO, and killed several of his wizards. I also switched my capital to a town in Crown (other choice was Destiny's End) but he sniffed that out and took it (and all my prisoners!) For the rest of the game, I fought a game SO- bounced against his capital, and he finally dropped. Had the DE joined in, I'm sure I would have lost that war, but I did finally take out the SO and took Crown toward the end of the game.

I think the DE was having issues with the AN who likely stopped him from attacking me.

End game, no one messed with me (I think I had a 25 and 4 21 agents.) I built a bunch of great temples, and even though DE took a built up town from me on 39, I took one back from him, so that was a wash and I edged the HA by less than one great temple.

I was kind of surprised the DU and IL did not podium as the three wizards kingdoms (not the SO) seemed to be growing unchecked from the beginning of the game.

Good game. Good fight SO and DE.

The UN is a very powerful kingdom from turn 15 or so on. Like Glengarry Gless Ross "always be closing", the UN should "always be training". You need multiple top level agents and several on the way up to replace losses, but it you do, almost no one will mess you you.

This was fun, but it did get a bit boring towards the end...

I wanted to embrace the Halflings and their trading ability.  So much so, that I made the decision to not leave Krynn unless invited.  But, I had to make myself valuable so I wouldn't entice others to come into Krynn for an easy military victory.   Having made good trading partners around me, I spent most of the time building a robust economy.  I really thought no one could compete with my production until I found the Warlock capital on turn 25-30.  With me not having a port-capable town, there is no way I could compete with that...

The rule regarding "3 consecutive turns trading" worked in my favor.  If I could make a decent profit on turn 1, minimal profit on turn 2, and then basically give away the Halfling trading ability to my trading partner on turn 3, I was sure everyone would want in.  A magical kingdom getting nearly a 3:2 trade rate would be huge for raising wizards!  Plus, the Halfling never really loses money as long as we maintain the advantage with Trick of the Trade.  The 2 turns trading with the Underworld cut deep because he also had it, but it was still worth it.

Simple plan.  Attack no one.  Try not to be attacked.  Build an economy and see what you can do with Status Points.  I have to say, I really wanted to attack the Warlock after finding his capital.  But, I will never knowingly break a promise.  It all came down to status points.  And since I was stuck with the same 11 population centers throughout the entire game with no chance of expansion, we build!  Below is a piece of my final turn.  I put a status-point-capable building on every PC I had.  

Lessons.
Building can get you close, but you cannot win without conquest.
Regional placement is more important that I thought.  Having at least 1 port-capable town would have increased production immensely.
I'm predictable.  In my last game I saw a PC with a defense over 300k, so naturally I attempt to beat it the next game....

Base    Adjusted
      Reg Area  Name                  Type         Defense   Defense   Census    Food     Gold    Other
        4  JB  Sirocco                Major City   345,446   379,991  200,306  196,029  413,530     NA
                Buildings: Legendary Castle, Bazaar, Forge, Forum, Granary, Secret Passages, Great Temple,
                           Thieves Guild, Great Mage Tower, Hobbit Inc. Trading Company

4  NC  Cold Orchid            Town         183,230   201,553  147,458    9,129  102,191     NA
                Buildings: Legendary Castle, Bazaar, Forum, Granary, Secret Passages, Great Temple, Great
                           Mage Tower

4  NB  Lore Song              Town         182,633   200,896  150,680    1,668   99,971     NA
                Buildings: Legendary Castle, Bazaar, Forum, Granary, Secret Passages, Great Temple, Great
                           Mage Tower

4  MA  Sirroco                Town         181,902   200,092  189,323   16,581  119,007     NA
                Buildings: Legendary Castle, Bazaar, Forum, Granary, Secret Passages, Great Temple, Watch
                           Towers, Great Mage Tower

4  HA  Purple Plain           Village        6,140     6,754   37,628   16,289   13,619   Coastal
                Buildings: Motte and Bailey, Bazaar, Granary, Great Temple, Great Mage Tower

4  IE  Nimbus                 Village        5,656     6,222   36,414   13,632   12,838     NA

4  FE  New Athenia            Village        5,585     6,144   54,071   30,597  107,859   Hidden
                Buildings: Motte and Bailey, Bazaar, Granary, Great Temple, Thieves Guild, Great Mage Tower
                Possesses: Glyph of Concealment

4  LA  Micandia View          Village        5,436     5,980   31,738   16,919   13,270     NA

4  RB  Grand Prarie           Village        5,411     5,952   38,575   15,071    9,368     NA

10  YC  Smuggler's Bay         Village        5,830     5,830   31,765   71,430   21,385   Capital, Hidden
                Buildings: Motte and Bailey, Bazaar, Granary, Great Temple, Thieves Guild, Great Mage Tower
                Possesses: Glyph of Concealment, Crystal of Seeing

4  KC  Ambrosia               Village        4,810     5,291   41,707   12,175   15,046     NA
                Buildings: Motte and Bailey, Bazaar, Great Temple, Great Mage Tower
                                                                      -------  -------  -------
                                                                      959,665  399,520  928,084
                                                                      =======  =======  =======
Keeope

I will post later, very fun game

I saw HA making level 7 wizards a bunch and I was like- man that guy has some gold.