Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
The Maelstrom Map - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALAMAZE (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Maelstrom (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: The Maelstrom Map (/showthread.php?tid=11126)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Calidor - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 06:33 AM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 12:29 AM)Tomag Ironfist Wrote: I like the additions mentioned above. Will be cool to see some fancy PC customization.

In regards to any of the kingdoms being able to occupy any of the regions, my question is: what is going to make the middle regions appealing to occupy? Already in the current state of the game, they are known to be more vulnerable. What about the middle regions will be appealing to military kingdoms? And the same going to magic kingdoms? There will certainly be some risk/reward involved, but I can see the popular strategy to consist of grabbing a mage kingdom and selecting a corner of the map.

In the current state of the game, the middle regions have two cities. As mentioned earlier, this isn't always a plus for military kingdoms since owning two cities will starve the troops that you start the game with during the winter. To keep the theme of having two cities (among maybe more benefits?), I would suggest giving military kingdoms a trait that reduces the winter subtraction of food from cities. I think that would make that set up more appealing.

I love the idea about any kingdom starting in any region. That will make alliance games even more interesting Smile  I am seriously overwhelmed with the ideas and the strategies in this aspect alone! I cannot wait for Maelstrom.

Here is a idea on cities and food - Build a Granary.  It negates the food loss in the winter by using food that is stored with a kindom order.  Instead of sell food on the open market you store it in a granary, with either a reduced loss or no loss.  It makes the city a bit more valuable and now the agent steal food order becomes a bit more useful too.  This could increase the population of the city too as the lesser folk come visit for a handout.  Think of the monks feeding the poor.

Maybe with a new Agent order to target the grainery for sabotage!

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Avantar - 05-26-2017

I still would like to see agents be able to get military leaders and emissaries to turncoat and come work for their kingdom.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Ry Vor - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 12:29 AM)Tomag Ironfist Wrote: I like the additions mentioned above. Will be cool to see some fancy PC customization.

In regards to any of the kingdoms being able to occupy any of the regions, my question is: what is going to make the middle regions appealing to occupy? Already in the current state of the game, they are known to be more vulnerable. What about the middle regions will be appealing to military kingdoms? And the same going to magic kingdoms? There will certainly be some risk/reward involved, but I can see the popular strategy to consist of grabbing a mage kingdom and selecting a corner of the map.

In the current state of the game, the middle regions have two cities. As mentioned earlier, this isn't always a plus for military kingdoms since owning two cities will starve the troops that you start the game with during the winter. To keep the theme of having two cities (among maybe more benefits?), I would suggest giving military kingdoms a trait that reduces the winter subtraction of food from cities. I think that would make that set up more appealing.

I love the idea about any kingdom starting in any region. That will make alliance games even more interesting Smile  I am seriously overwhelmed with the ideas and the strategies in this aspect alone! I cannot wait for Maelstrom.

The economic aspects of Alamaze were lagging compared to the other elements.  Now it will be pretty robust.  Yes, its going to take some orders to develop your PC's and improve their defenses, and so will be another set of tough decisions on what to prioritize and another aspect of strategy including planning for several turns.  This in itself will provide longer games.  Between castles and fortresses / citadels, you can defend your territory better.  Additionally, kingdoms likely will start with about one less brigade and one or two fewer wizards, who also will likely be P3 for mage kingdoms instead of P4.

In 2nd Cycle the wizard kingdoms in Valhalla were something like 11th, 13th and 15th.  In Resurgent, they started dominating the top of the board.  As most know, we made some adjustments a few months ago and balance seems pretty good if a player plays to the strengths of his kingdom.  For example, the Sacred Order is not doing well because for some reason we have new players selecting them despite being advised not to, and they drop so that kingdom is lower than it should be.  But a skilled player with a plan should do well with the Sacred Order.

As you can see from the list of PC improvements, a military cannot only defend his PC's more effectively, but can armor and weaponize his troops.  I don't think a good mage player is going to do that instead of research, but a player with a good military will certainly think about it.

PC's now will have a lot more personality instead of being somewhat generic.  Control of coastal towns and cities will be important, which also draws fleets more into play.

Just the addition of the separation of Rulership (order count) and Influence (political strength) will add to strategy and make selecting king orders more difficult and less reflexive, especially with denigration and enamoring being widely reported if not universal results. 

The other side of the coin with the PC improvements is Sabotage will come more into play.  Sabotage now will target an improvement, so you might now target that castle under construction and take it down a level, or blow up that granary when winter comes.  Diversion is likely a new order that counters counter espionage. 

The spell lists will be redone, and the max power loosened.  And you need a Wizard Tower to get to P6, so that's a limitation and a PC with a tower might be more of a target for the military kingdoms. 

There's lots more.  Again, we think Alamaze Resurgent might be the best strategy game, without a qualification.  It's too bad the complexity stops a lot of people.   But I think Maelstrom takes Alamaze up a couple notches.

(05-26-2017, 06:23 AM)Thunderb0lt Wrote: Holy cow thats alot of changes. What are the resource gains via plundering a castle? Can we make it so only a prince can build a Legendary castle? It is after all a wonder of the world. And will it raise influence or regional reaction? Can you explain difference between castle, citadel, and fortress? Does the brigade have to be at the PC to receive the weaponized and/or armored upgrade? What trait will be used to determine a bonus for castles? Will there be traits that help offset the cost of building any of these upgrades? Will there be any new character types? These questions and more on the next episode of Maelstrom.

Well, so far I think I've only written about here on the forum about 20% of the changes.  I'm trying to get most of the mechanics down and the kingdoms and spell list changes will probably be last.

A castle is a separate entity from the PC which protects the PC from rebellion and usurptation and must be conquered before the PC can be attacked.  A Fortress improves a town's defense and provides some other benefits, and a citadel likewise for a city.  Yes, the description for citadel should include Rulership and Influence benefits. 

A brigade would have to be at the PC with an Armorer to become Armored and at a PC with a Weapon Smith to become Weaponized.  If I was playing the Warlock, I probably wouldn't go that way, but if I was say the Rangers, with a few Veteran or Elite brigades, I'd be all over it.

I held off on new character types other than refining the difference between agents and fanatics as it was getting too big.  So Engineers, Sages and Heroes are not coming into Maelstrom.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Wayde - 05-26-2017

There are many rivers on the map, will they come into play. Cost more to cross, ships can navigate etc? The only region that jumps out as appearing that it would be at a disadvantage to me is The Sword Coast. It look small, surrounded and no major city. Since there will be many additional orders to issue will there be more orders allowed? Overall, it sounds like there will be many welcome additions and the map is beautiful. Are you going to sell wall maps?

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Avantar - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 05:33 PM)Wayde Wrote: There are many rivers on the map, will they come into play.  Cost more to cross, ships can navigate etc? The only region that jumps out as appearing that it would be at a disadvantage to me is The Sword Coast.  It look small, surrounded and no major city.  Since there will be many additional orders to issue will there be more orders allowed?  Overall, it sounds like there will be many welcome additions and the map is beautiful.  Are you going to sell wall maps?

Rivers would be great. Make it very slow to cross with big groups or have to make way to a bridge which could be guarded from passage by another group.

(05-26-2017, 05:33 PM)Wayde Wrote: There are many rivers on the map, will they come into play.  Cost more to cross, ships can navigate etc? The only region that jumps out as appearing that it would be at a disadvantage to me is The Sword Coast.  It look small, surrounded and no major city.  Since there will be many additional orders to issue will there be more orders allowed?  Overall, it sounds like there will be many welcome additions and the map is beautiful.  Are you going to sell wall maps?

Rivers are decorative only.

All players have permission to reprint for non-commercial purposes.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Tomag Ironfist - 05-26-2017

Thanks for the response, Ry Vor. It is interesting for me to hear stats on second cycles since I wasn't around to experience that! These new changes look frickin' awesome. I can't wait to play a Warlords game and corner someones lone kingdom with three military powerhouses Smile

Again, I appreciate everyone hanging in for the couple weeks to make the transition.

While I am slower than I used to be, I'm not sure I'm any worse.  I think Maelstrom will be the best yet.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Wookie Panz - 05-27-2017

(05-26-2017, 11:00 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Again, I appreciate everyone hanging in for the couple weeks to make the transition.

While I am slower than I used to be, I'm not sure I'm any worse.  I think Maelstrom will be the best yet.

Regarding place names:  If you are looking for pc names I have one for a sea area - Buzzards Bay.  It's actually a large water body where I live on Cape Cod and also a village in my town.