Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
The Maelstrom Map - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALAMAZE (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Maelstrom (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: The Maelstrom Map (/showthread.php?tid=11126)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Ohman the heartless - 05-21-2017

In my limited experience, I think that large army based kingdoms would fair better in zones without cities. The old -10,200 food production in winter was a crushing blow the all heavily group based kingdoms!

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Ry Vor - 05-22-2017

Any comments on the new names for regions, cities, seas?

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Wookie Panz - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 01:14 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Any comments on the new names for regions, cities, seas?

Are there any players who have passed on that we might want to honor with a city or a region? It would be a nice way to keep their  memory alive as we participate in one of their favorite pastimes.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Avantar - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 02:11 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 01:14 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Any comments on the new names for regions, cities, seas?

Are there any players who have passed on that we might want to honor with a city or a region? It would be a nice way to keep their  memory alive as we participate in one of their favorite pastimes.

Great Idea.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Titus - 05-22-2017

I like Wookie Panz idea. I also like the idea of say one sea or city staying the same to honor the old maps as well.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Ry Vor - 05-25-2017

There's no reason the Resurgent map can't continue from our perspective when Maelstrom comes out in a couple months.  I've heard from some players on sabbatical that they look at Alamaze as a nostalgic trip.  But I've also heard some are very impatient for Maelstrom. 

I confess I still will want to play Resurgent, but am really excited about the Maelstrom map.  Resurgent was pretty close to the Classic map, so this is really the first completely new map in, well, a long time.  I spend probably too much time zoomed in and trying to identify any mistakes I may have made in this 12 region map of different sized regions with only 8 defined cities.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Ry Vor - 05-25-2017

Here's where the Population Center improvements stand now:

PC Improvements:
Each requires a character other than an agent, fanatic or HP to construct an improvement located in the same area as their controlled PC and counts as the sole action for the character.  Order sequence 608 – 611 depending on improvement type, improvements within the category chosen from a drop-down list.  Only one improvement per PC per turn unless additional are allowed by a trait.

Castles.

Castles provide defense and also imbue the PC with immunity to rebellion and usurpation, unless the castle is first captured or destroyed.  Also, the castle must be captured (successful #145) or destroyed (sabotage, meteor strike, plunder) before the PC can be attacked.  So the castle is a separate entity that shares the area of the PC it protects.  Castles reduce the income from the PC in the area.  Castles cannot be diplomicized (only taken through military conquest).
New order Attack Castle at #145.  If successful in conquering or destroying, the same or a different group can attack PC same turn #150 but with potentially the group weary (-15%).
Groups are no longer weary (-15% next battle that turn) in any battle if less than 5% casualties were sustained.
Castles can also be sieged #189 Siege Castle.  A sieging group cannot also siege the PC.  Three turns to siege a Castle, four for Great Castle, five for Legendary Castle.
·        Castle.  Requires town or city (not village).  One castle per area.  Is built in stages, only one per turn:
o   Foundation.  No benefit yet.  Costs 8k gold and supplies.  Stage 1.
o   Construction.   Requires Foundation.   Costs 8k gold and supplies.  Stage 2.  
o   Castle.  Requires Construction.  Has 15,000 defense, possibly increased by trait.   25 points CE (as L4 agent) for both PC and Castle.  Provides 0.3 additional influence when built.  No MSQ for castles, as they are impervious to political action, as are the PC’s they share an area with.  Costs 16k gold, 16k supplies.   Reduces PC production 2k gold and 2k supplies for castle upkeep permanently.   

·        Greater Castle.  Only in city (including minor cities).  Replaces Castle.  Is built in two stages, during which Castle benefits continue.
o   Expansion.  Costs 12k gold and supply.  Retains Castle bonuses.
o   Greater Castle.  Requires Expansion of Castle (above).  Costs 12k gold and supply.  30,000 defense.   30 points CE (as L5).  +1.0 to Rulership, 0.5 to Influence.

·        Legendary Castle.  Requires Greater Castle.  Three stages (retains Greater Castle while under construction):
o   Improve Walls.  20k gold and supplies.
o   Build Parapets, Moat and Murder Holes.  20k gold and supplies.
o   Legendary Castle.  20k gold and supply.  Replaces benefits of Greater Castle.  72,000 defense.  +1 Rulership and +1 Influence.  Increases regional reaction 1 level if not at maximum.  Replaces Greater Castle (prerequisite).

All construction is character issued by any character in the area of the kingdom controlled PC except agents, fanatics or high priestess.
·        Mott and Bailey.  Available to villages only.  +2000 defense.  +1 Maintain Status Quo.  +0.2 influence, 10 points counter-espionage (like L1 agent) for PC when constructed.   Reduces  gold and supply production at the PC by 300 when constructed.  5k gold, 5k supply to construct.  Not considered a castle: i.e., not a separate entity but a PC improvement.

·       
Wooden Towers.   Requires controlled Mott and Bailey.   +1000 defense, plus 15% damage inflicted to attackers in missile phases.   Wooden towers provide level 1 recon and an additional 10 points counter-espionage for a total of 20 with Mott and Bailey (as L3 agent).  To construct, costs 3k supplies and 3k gold.   
·       
Granary.  +25% supplies production, +0.1 to influence, -5 points (more susceptible) counter espionage from civilian traffic.  
·      

Dungeon & Guillotine.  +20 points CE and 3 points MSQ.  -0.5 Influence.  Chance of Rescue or Escape -40% (so a 20% chance becomes 12%).  Costs 8k gold and supplies.
·      

Secret Passages.  Nobles of Baron+ and HP, Agent or Fanatic L7+ escape when PC falls to siege or assault (military victory) to capital.   8k gold and supplies.
·      
Temple.  Needed for Noble Maiden / HP, +3 points MSQ, +10% census, +5% PC defense, +0.2 Influence. 10k gold and supplies to construct.
·      

Tavern.  Needed to hire most characters, +10% gold production, +3 points to Stir Unrest.  8k gold and supplies.
·       
Fortress.  For towns only.  2 turns:
o   Fortress Foundation.  10k supplies and gold.
o   Fortress.  +12k PC defense.  +1 Rulership, +1 Influence.  +5 points MSQ, +20 points CE.    10k supplies and gold.
·    

Citadel.  Cities only.  3 turns.  +25k defense.
o   Citadel Foundation.  12k supplies and gold.
o   Citadel Framework.  Requires Foundation.  12k supplies and gold.
o   Citadel.  12k supplies and gold. 
·   
Moat & Drawbridge.  Requires Fortress or Citadel.  +25% defense vs. non-flying attack.  +5 points MSQ.  8k gold and supplies. 
·        Armorer.   +20% per brigade equipped (one per turn unless trait allows more) to defense of brigade.  Becomes an “Armored” (brigade type).  Requires Fortress (town) or Citadel (city).  8k gold and supplies.

Weapon Smith.  +20% per brigade equipped (one per turn) to attack of brigade – all phases.  8k gold and supplies.  Becomes a “Weaponized” (brigade type, e.g., Weaponized Dwarven Veterans). 

Wizard Tower.  2 turns.  Required to research magic to Power 6 and above.
o   Wizard Tower Foundation.  10k supplies and gold.
o   Wizard Tower.  10k supplies and gold.  Can research magic to Power 6 and beyond. 

Ramparts, Windlance Ballistae & Catapults.  For Fortress and Citadel.  10k gold and supplies.  Increases defense of a PC with a Fortress or Citadel by 25% and gives a 25% offensive and defensive bonus vs. flying groups. 

·       
Market.  +25% gold, +25% supplies.  -10 points CE, -3 points MSQ.  8000 gold and supplies.

·       
Mine.  Only in a mountain PC.  +30% gold production.  8000 supplies and gold.  Kingdoms with the Miner trait will have larger bonuses and lower cost.

·       
Bank.  Requires Market.  Increases gold production 20% and ending gold balance in treasury is increased by 10% during following turn pre-production.  Increases Influence 0.5.  This influence is lost if the PC is and is assumed by the new PC controller. 

·       
Port.  Coastal or Sea based town or city.  Requires Fortress or Citadel.  Can construct fleets, improve fleets, build elite ship, construct with advanced sail design that reduces sea movement rate by 1 per area (choose when constructing fleets or an Elite Ship from the port), -25% to fleet construction cost, +25% gold production, +25% supply production, +25% from merchant missions in that sea. +25% defense to PC.  +1 Influence and +1 Rulership.  Two stages:
o   Prepare Harbor.  10k supplies and gold.
o   Construct Port.  15k supplies and gold. 

Watch Towers.  Provides L4 recon in the PC and L1 recon in the surrounding 8 areas.  8000 gold and supplies.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Tomag Ironfist - 05-26-2017

I like the additions mentioned above. Will be cool to see some fancy PC customization.

In regards to any of the kingdoms being able to occupy any of the regions, my question is: what is going to make the middle regions appealing to occupy? Already in the current state of the game, they are known to be more vulnerable. What about the middle regions will be appealing to military kingdoms? And the same going to magic kingdoms? There will certainly be some risk/reward involved, but I can see the popular strategy to consist of grabbing a mage kingdom and selecting a corner of the map.

In the current state of the game, the middle regions have two cities. As mentioned earlier, this isn't always a plus for military kingdoms since owning two cities will starve the troops that you start the game with during the winter. To keep the theme of having two cities (among maybe more benefits?), I would suggest giving military kingdoms a trait that reduces the winter subtraction of food from cities. I think that would make that set up more appealing.

I love the idea about any kingdom starting in any region. That will make alliance games even more interesting Smile  I am seriously overwhelmed with the ideas and the strategies in this aspect alone! I cannot wait for Maelstrom.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Thunderb0lt - 05-26-2017

Holy cow thats alot of changes. What are the resource gains via plundering a castle? Can we make it so only a prince can build a Legendary castle? It is after all a wonder of the world. And will it raise influence or regional reaction? Can you explain difference between castle, citadel, and fortress? Does the brigade have to be at the PC to receive the weaponized and/or armored upgrade? What trait will be used to determine a bonus for castles? Will there be traits that help offset the cost of building any of these upgrades? Will there be any new character types? These questions and more on the next episode of Maelstrom.

RE: The Maelstrom Map - Wookie Panz - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 12:29 AM)Tomag Ironfist Wrote: I like the additions mentioned above. Will be cool to see some fancy PC customization.

In regards to any of the kingdoms being able to occupy any of the regions, my question is: what is going to make the middle regions appealing to occupy? Already in the current state of the game, they are known to be more vulnerable. What about the middle regions will be appealing to military kingdoms? And the same going to magic kingdoms? There will certainly be some risk/reward involved, but I can see the popular strategy to consist of grabbing a mage kingdom and selecting a corner of the map.

In the current state of the game, the middle regions have two cities. As mentioned earlier, this isn't always a plus for military kingdoms since owning two cities will starve the troops that you start the game with during the winter. To keep the theme of having two cities (among maybe more benefits?), I would suggest giving military kingdoms a trait that reduces the winter subtraction of food from cities. I think that would make that set up more appealing.

I love the idea about any kingdom starting in any region. That will make alliance games even more interesting Smile  I am seriously overwhelmed with the ideas and the strategies in this aspect alone! I cannot wait for Maelstrom.

Here is a idea on cities and food - Build a Granary.  It negates the food loss in the winter by using food that is stored with a kindom order.  Instead of sell food on the open market you store it in a granary, with either a reduced loss or no loss.  It makes the city a bit more valuable and now the agent steal food order becomes a bit more useful too.  This could increase the population of the city too as the lesser folk come visit for a handout.  Think of the monks feeding the poor.