Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum

Full Version: Watch towers and watch tower failure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dearest fellow players,

Personally, I like watch towers, but I recently ran into a couple of instances where I got no recon from the tower. So, two quesitons:
1) Do other people use them? I know at first I was very against them because it doesn't help against conceal spells.
2) Have other people had them "fail"? I'm guessing it's because it's a L1 recon (which can fail), but really don't know.

Love and hugs,
The Painted Man
(06-07-2020, 03:24 PM)The Painted Man Wrote: [ -> ]Dearest fellow players,

Personally, I like watch towers, but I recently ran into a couple of instances where I got no recon from the tower. So, two quesitons:
1) Do other people use them? I know at first I was very against them because it doesn't help against conceal spells.
2) Have other people had them "fail"? I'm guessing it's because it's a L1 recon (which can fail), but really don't know.

Love and hugs,
The Painted Man

Watch Towers should actually grant L4 recon, which detects ambushing but not invisible groups.  I would have to review, but I think Concealed emissaries require L7 recon to detect.

But, I like Watch Towers too.  I also think Secret Passages should be used more frequently, especially when suspecting an invasion.
Any insight to the lack of watching done by the aforementioned towers? Especially if an L4?
(06-07-2020, 06:11 PM)The Painted Man Wrote: [ -> ]Any insight to the lack of watching done by the aforementioned towers? Especially if an L4?

I thought I did answer that.  May not detect Concealed emissaries.  At L4, it would not fail against non-hidden, but at hidden it would be like L1 against non-hidden.
I always refuse The Watchtower. Even though it's free, if you accept it, you will be stuck hearing about Jehovah God for the next 40 minutes.
(06-07-2020, 07:17 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2020, 06:11 PM)The Painted Man Wrote: [ -> ]Any insight to the lack of watching done by the aforementioned towers? Especially if an L4?

I thought I did answer that.  May not detect Concealed emissaries.  At L4, it would not fail against non-hidden, but at hidden it would be like L1 against non-hidden.

The part about them not always working as intended?.
(06-08-2020, 11:26 AM)RELLGAR Wrote: [ -> ]

Watchtower should be just as an L4 agent doing recon in that area.   I'm not sure if the code gives a 5% chance of failure to detect Ambushing as an L1 would have on normal recon.
(06-08-2020, 11:56 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: [ -> ]

Watchtower should be just as an L4 agent doing recon in that area.   I'm not sure if the code gives a 5% chance of failure to detect Ambushing as an L1 would have on normal recon.

So here's the issue - and I emailed the turn to support so you could have a look - I have watch towers at a pop center. I also have an emissary there that is not concealed. I received no recon information from the watch tower this turn (doesn't even show the pc there). It has worked with no issue for over a dozen turns. There was no note in the turn about a failed recon or anything along those lines. It simply looks to not have done anything. It is possible that the people assigned to watch tower duty aren't the smartest or most driven, I suppose, but the description gives no indication of potential failure.
(06-08-2020, 12:50 PM)The Painted Man Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2020, 11:56 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: [ -> ]

So here's the issue - and I emailed the turn to support so you could have a look - I have watch towers at a pop center. I also have an emissary there that is not concealed. I received no recon information from the watch tower this turn (doesn't even show the pc there). It has worked with no issue for over a dozen turns. There was no note in the turn about a failed recon or anything along those lines. It simply looks to not have done anything. It is possible that the people assigned to watch tower duty aren't the smartest or most driven, I suppose, but the description gives no indication of potential failure.
They're a bunch of wankers
Bloody wankers, ffs.
Pages: 1 2 3